davinche

[WARNING] Gotway Nikola 100v 1800WH Battery Fire

Mind if I interrupt the conjecture for a minute to ask if anyone is having trouble fitting their replacement cells inside of their shell? 

I was able to jam the new packs inside my shell and screw it down but it is bending a fair bit. I did not get a chance to compare the widths of the packs before replacing them. 

That coating looks good. Is it hard to do? Is it expensive? Is it impossible to take off? Do you get a lower board temperature reading after adding it?

I like the idea of added moisture protection and temperature dissipation.

@Aibolit66:thumbup:

Posted (edited)

Another possible reason for the runaway heat are the nickel strips. I've seen gotway packs use waayyyyyy too low crossectional area nickel strips. At the ends of the packs you have something like 4 negative poles connecting to 4 positive poles with a single nickel strip. At the center the peak currents are heating up the strip extremely hot. The shrinkwrap starts to melt. Both the outer wrap and possibly also the cells wrap.

Because the tesla motor cells have been refurbished and rewrapped, maybe some refurbers used low melting point shrinkwrap so that common gotway pack temperatures actually melted it and caused outer casing short circuits.

If replacement packs are slightly larger, that could indicate added cell casing protection between groups. It means that's likely what caused the fires.

Edited by alcatraz

19 hours ago, D3m0nzz said:

Mind if I interrupt the conjecture for a minute to ask if anyone is having trouble fitting their replacement cells inside of their shell? 

I was able to jam the new packs inside my shell and screw it down but it is bending a fair bit. I did not get a chance to compare the widths of the packs before replacing them. 

There's some commentary on facebook... one guy had to shave down some of the foam padding to fit the new batteries.

MOSFETs on controllers sometimes burn on all EUC manufacturers.  This happens outwardly, with the burnout of the legs of the transistor, with the burnout of the tracks on the controller board.  I think the reason is the overheating and shorting of the MOSFET of this phase.  In our cases, such a severe damage to the controller was observed in the EUC Gotway with a homemade increased battery during slow uphill movement.  We must acknowledge the poor design of the thermal interface of the controllers.  Now I am making a controller with AlN thermal padding and thermal compound, then there will be a test.  This is for the custom EUC model.  One controller with a normal thermal interface has already burned out.  If something is not clear, I apologize for the translation.

Posted (edited)

Это выглядело так.

76004E5F-8C45-4957-9E3E-8A25DA80581E.jpeg

323D10A2-3277-4589-A731-3CEEED6EE5E0.jpeg

Edited by Aibolit66