[WARNING] Gotway Nikola 100v 1800WH Battery Fire

7 hours ago, davinche said:

Note: The model that caught fire was the first batch of Nikola 100V 1800WH Panasonic NCR21700A. I have never crashed my Nikola nor have I mistreated it in any way. Over the span of 5 months, I've only used it to commute to and from work (~7.5 miles each way). I did have a fast charger from ewheels (the Nikola did not come with a charger), but I have never charged it with > 3A or to 100% (used the 90% setting on the fast charger).

Below is official communication from EWheels. Jason asked me to withhold posting on the forum until he had time to communicate with Gotway and develop a plan of action. Many people in the EUC community praise EWheels for genuinely caring about the his customers and the community. I am glad I purchased my wheel through Ewheels and the communication from the email (below) was the evidence I needed that I bought from a good distributor.

One minor correction I want to make to the official email is that it didn't catch on fire immediately after turning on. I walked it to a parking lot near my place (so it was already on). When I got on it, it immediately shutoff and threw me off the wheel. It was only then after mysteriously powering off did the wheel go into thermal runaway and the wheel caught on fire.

Anyways, below is the official communication. I am posting to raise awareness for those that might not have purchased through a distributor. Once again my model was the PANASONIC NCR21700A cells.

unnamed.png

you mentioned that you never charged more than 3 amps and only to 90% could you be so kind and tell us how often do you charge it if at all,  ever to 100% 

• Like 1

Wow, this easily could have been worse! Too bad it intimidated your friends.

• How was the air humidity and temperatures when this happened? Maybe some condensation got into the battery somehow?
  • Firmware problem, and after you removed the charger, the "heating" started? 10 mins later, boom?
  • Did you ever balance the battery (charge to full and keep the charger in for a longer while)? I didn't think even completely unbalanced cells would catch fire, but maybe they can?
    I am NOT trying to blame you here, this should not happen even without balancing!
  • Maybe it's just a random coincidence, or a problem with the Panasonic (used, as per some rumors?) cells.

That's the explanations I can come up with. I don't expect one from Gotway other than "We are using different cells now, problem solved". Jason doing great work as usual.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chaindrop said:

Question regarding Lithium-ion fires: In cases where a fire starts, can they explode even when the device is turned off? or does it usually just happen when you turn on the device when the batteries are faulty?

The electrolyte fluid in Li-Ion batteries simply ignites when it gets too hot (like 200°C or so) and can "pop" the battery before that, too. Usually that heat is from a short (e.g. from water intrusion into a battery pack) or something else (in theory [never happened as far as it is known]: firmware bug) causing an uncontrolled runaway in the battery and the cells heating up rapidly until they pop or start burning.

So fundamentally whether the wheel is on or off does not matter, and switching it off won't stop a fire. But of course things can be set in motion when you engage the electronics. Not sure if this happened here or was just coincidence.

If you have a fire (extremely extremely rare) that you would need to stop (probably it's hardly possible to move an already burning wheel), the important thing is to cool the battery down (e.g. submerge the wheel in water). Realistically, all you can probably do is let it burn and contain the damage.

-

As always with battery fires, these are extremely rare, and this example should be cause for caution and introspection, but not concern:)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Aibolit66 said:

Do you think that the KIA3510A mosfets on the BMS Gotway are rated for 100V, and the 24S charger is 100.8V, is that normal?

1811151428_KIA-Semicon-Tech-KIA3510A_C116512.pdf 295.76 kB · 1 download

They "only" have to stand the difference of charger input voltage and battery voltage. Once all the cells in series of the battery are below 0.8V the mosfet can die in peace, too - the pack is already long dead...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chriull said:

@davinche - were there still enough remains so they could do some forensics?

Gives a really bad feeling to hear from such incitents - great nothing happened to you!

It's time that all manufacturers use smart BMS with single cell (group) monitoring and cell temperature monitoring! (...without draining the batteries...:ph34r: )

... and that GW uses short circuit protection again, if they not already do...

It was too charred to try to bring home. I linked a google drive containing more footage/photos of the wheel. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16OmH-pp96OO1PcYyTYf2m-vYbLFyCFhW?usp=sharing

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, davinche said:

3. I've only charged it to 100% maybe once or twice. The first couple of times when I was tweaking the settings of the fast charger. I then read that you shouldn't charge to full to preserve the life of the battery which is why I then switched to the 90% setting and only charged with the 90% setting since then. Amp-wise, I've always charged only at 3A.

One last point I want to make: regarding usage, I've only ever used my nikola to go to and from work. So I have never come close to depleting the battery and always juiced up after coming home from work.

So absolutely nothing done wrong from your side - especially considering the milage!

Discussion about balancing/battery degradation in this case is purely academic.

32 minutes ago, davinche said:

It was too charred to try to bring home. I linked a google drive containing more footage/photos of the wheel. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16OmH-pp96OO1PcYyTYf2m-vYbLFyCFhW?usp=sharing

Thanks for the info!

Presumably nothing really survived this...

Kudos to @Jason McNeil for his fast and unbureoucratic response with the exchange of all the first batch batteries!

Hopefully this was the reason - as GW stated probs with the non LG li ion cells.

Not to imagine if such an incident happens in a flat - if someone dies it's unforgivable. And (i know a very narcisstic point) EUC's likely to get banned...

So @Jason McNeil please keep on your great work with pushing the manufacturers to provide safer and more reliable products! Additionally pushing GW to implement short circuit protection in the BMS again (if they not already did this with their latest wheels) - imho a great security fault from their side.

And also some smart BMS with cell voltage monitoring - wheels get used longer, batteries degrade and risk for incidents rise...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Chriull said:

That's how EUC BMS work, too. But in his case it does not matter - after about 10 charges without any serious low discharge a battery pack cannot be seriously misbalanced, if the cells were not gravely mismatched from the beginning.

Balancing happens by resistors beeing paralleled to the cells with voltages above 4.2V. and they stay, no matter if charger is connected or not, until the cells are below 4.2V again. (Kudos to @RagingGrandpa)

He did, as he stated lately some times.

But this is nothing that is allowed to get the wheel go up in fire.

It could mismatch the cells a bit more, but not seriously in his case.

GW and KS (and the other manufacturers most probably too) have synchronisation wires to prevent this - if one BMS cuts off, all others cut off too.

If you like and find time, i'd highly regard your input to https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18317-battery-faq/?do=findComment&comment=307636

Critics/discovered mistakes/additional info is always welcome

however there is no protection on the discharge cables and if one cell is bad and gets heat up it can affect the other cells as well, and the communication between the BMS HV and LV works only at specific voltage it doesn't affect individual cells if you measure the voltage on 24S pack out of the JST plug it will give you only two voltage readings so if one of them is bad it will not communicate with the other

3 minutes ago, Archee Jan Bloch said:

however there is no protection on the discharge cables and if one cell is bad and gets heat up it can affect the other cells as well,

Yes. With regen charging there is no protection and there should also be just warnings for rider safety.

But this does not regard this case in any way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chriull said:

Yes. With regen charging there is no protection and there should also be just warnings for rider safety.

But this does not regard this case in any way.

The manufacturer of the BMS is the same manufacturer that does that main board it is also the same manufacturer that will make the veteran and they make the packs for Gotway, when we asked them what the LV /HV stands for, they said it's a secret and that they don't want to tell and they said that Gotway never ask them for it either also thank you for the link but it's basically what we just said and what have been known regarding the batteries and charging, my personal take out of this is that one or two cells in his back and got bellow charging capacity, which could even possibly damage the BMS, and he could just charge the other pack that will try to equalize  wit the damage pack

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davinche said:

The last bit of the (translated) post says: "Gotway encountered some difficulties when using Panasonic elements, so LG is now used." What is this "difficulty" that Gotway encountered?

I wondered the same.  It’s interesting that they only used the Panasonic batteries in a small batch of wheels and switched rather quickly to LG.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

I know. That's why i asked you, if you'd like to add adfitional information missing/correct rumours or false information(1)

But back to the topic - i fear that in this case there is a high chance that it has nothing to do with the batteries.

Most likely low speed overburden killing the mosfets/causing molten insulations snd by this shorted wires (to the motor).

Maybe a BMS/contact fault heating up the batteries. Or any other QC issue causing heatup/shorting.

This in combination with the missing short circuit protection led to a thermal runaway.

Could be any other problem with bad cells from the beginning or whatnot, but above cases would be my first guess.

Definitely the described charging behaviour of @davinche would be my very last guess.

Edit: i started this topic in the hope that it evolves into some kind of knowledge pool for the community sometimes...

Is it only Gotway that lacks shortcircuit protection in their wheels? Now that I've had this experience... I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for a wheel that won't randomly blow up.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, davinche said:

Is it only Gotway that lacks shortcircuit protection in their wheels? Now that I've had this experience... I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for a wheel that won't randomly blow up.

Yes. But as written before i have no idea how it is with their latest/actual wheels. Their firmware and hardware changes and it takes quite some time until reports arrive here. I have none of the actual GW wheels.

And as written this are my guesses - some remote diagnosis. Discuss this with @Jason McNeil - (from all the reports and discussions i had with him) i'm sure he's experienced and will give you great advice on how to proceed for having carefree fun again!

Keep on wheeling! :thumbup:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, davinche said:

Kingsong advertises a "smart bms" with short-circuit on their website...

https://www.mykingsong.com/king-song-16x-electric-unicycle

It has short circuit protection, but is not smart enough in the sense of cell voltage monitoring.

And as stated before my knowledge of actual GW BMS is limited - i just know whats reported here...

• Like 1