Jump to content
Tai Mar

High-end wheel for MASSIVE urban use?

Recommended Posts

Considering EUC with big backback for part time courier job to earn few extra $ and have fun at the same time. This combined with my personal rides translates into HUGE weekly/monthly range often more than 100km(~60+miles) in a single day.

Right now I am still thinking about modified 16x ( +extra weatherproofing) as it seems to be the most balanced options of them all. After fixing the water issue at least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's someone on here who does similar work using a V8 and 3 sets of spare batteries that he would install through the day. I think he said he did 400 miles a week. Sadly I couldn't work out what to search for to find him. He also carried a large back pack for deliveries. The only issue with a 16X is that it might be too heavy to lift up stairs etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice :D

I am also considering GPRS tracker against theft and leave it downstairs instead. Doors are automatically locked with codes pretty much evrywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

18XL?
 

  1. practical
  2. long range
  3. 18" wheel

How it's more practical compared to more compact and manuverable 16x?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tai Mar said:

How it's more practical compared to more compact and manuverable 16x?

Have you seen 18XL and 16X side by side? :) 

Granted maneuverable in slow speed might be better as people pointed out (I don't have 16X).

But about maneuverability in high speed, you can't really play down the 18XL - the boring cruiser :D

Also, since you mentioned "for works", I assumed you need a reliable wheel, and I'm not sure 16X is a reliable wheel.

Edited by Phong Vu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

Have you seen 18XL and 16X side by side? :) 

Granted maneuverable in slow speed might be better as people pointed out (I don't have 16X).

But about maneuverability in high speed, you can't really play down the 18XL - the boring cruiser :D

Yes I have. They sell them here. What I really care about  about is WINTER . The more usable wheel in winter is the more PRACTICAL! one. It's snowing in Europa. 16x has the wide tire here I expect it to be better. XL wins with range doesn't it ? How big is the difference ? (%)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tai Mar said:

Yes I have. They sell them here. What I really care about  about is WINTER . The more usable wheel in winter is the more PRACTICAL! one. It's snowing in Europa. 16x has the wide tire here I expect it to be better. XL wins with range doesn't it ? How big is the difference ? (%)

Yeah, if you see them, you can't say 16X is more compact :) they're the same.
For me, thinner body -> more practical.

Can't comment on winder riding, I stop riding when it start to snow... don't want to slide in front of a bus :D 

They have same battery (and same motor if consider the new 18XL), so bigger but narrower tire will translate to a few more miles, maybe 5 miles.
I think old 18XL (with 2000W motor) is more reliable and has more range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Tai Mar said:

How it's more practical compared to more compact and manuverable 16x?

 
 
 

I would not say the 16x is "more compact" than the 18XL. (If anything I perceive them the opposite way.)

I don't have a dog in this fight, and the 16x may still be better for what you want, but I just thought to chime in on that narrow point which struck me as odd.

Edited by AtlasP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Nikola owner, I'd probably recommend either of the 16X or 18XL over the Nikola for something like this on account of the trolley & carrying handles, assuming you don't plan to ride too close to the top speed on the 16X. (The Nik trolley handle is passable/better than many other scorpion handles when I'm not carrying anything, but becomes disproportionately more annoying anytime I'm trying to carry/deal with anything else in addition to the wheel.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't range basically the most important thing here? Get whichever wheel can get you the furthest before recharging. I can't imagine the small differences in riding style (that ultimately are subjective anyway) playing a big enough part to make your decision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Isn't range basically the most important thing here? Get whichever wheel can get you the furthest before recharging. I can't imagine the small differences in riding style (that ultimately are subjective anyway) playing a big enough part to make your decision

That's why I was talking about winter. This is when the 10% or whatever difference in stability means a lot. Even when the battery of XL is only ~10% better I would go with 16x here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not used either in the snow yet I think that the XL would do better. @winterwheel should know more on the subject.

The tire is not that much wider on the 16X. The actual measurements are:

18XL  2.5" x 18.625"    

16X 2.75" x 17.75"

I would get two of the 18XL. leave on on the charger while you use the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I have not used either in the snow yet I think that the XL would do better. @winterwheel should know more on the subject.

The tire is not that much wider on the 16X. The actual measurements are:

18XL  2.5" x 18.625"    

16X 2.75" x 17.75"

I would get two of the 18XL. leave on on the charger while you use the other. 

Nobody driving in winter huh. I thought it's the best time of the year :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tai Mar said:

Nobody driving in winter huh. I thought it's the best time of the year :D 

Not true. :confused1:  I ride all winter. We only get snow once every few years. :rolleyes: The last time we got snow it melted before I got off work. :crying:

@winterwheel is one of the snow experts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 16x in Philly.   I would go for it.  Takes a Few hundred miles to really master I'd say.  Trolley handle is amazing when giving getting orders.  Bluetooth for directions.   Very agile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can't speak to how the 16X would work in the winter, we don't have one of those up here yet.

On the 18XL side, it works fine in heavy duty winter conditions -- there are actually two hard-core winter riders on 18XL here now, both using the stock summer tire. I switch to the ACM2 with knobby tire on snow days, but the other guy doesn't.  The only problem we both have is turning on super slippery ice, but that's going to be a problem no matter what wheel you have.

My view is that a wide tire is good for ice, a narrow and/or knobby tire is good for snow. I believe a wide, smooth tire might give you problems on snowy days, but I can't say that I have verified that with personal experience.

 

Edited by winterwheel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For snow, isn't the general principle (for any kind of vehicle) to use thinner tires instead of wider tires? (To slice down through to the road surface instead of compacting/floating on top of the snow with little traction.) I'm not sure, but if so that would be a vote in favor of something like the 18xl with a 2.5" tire over a 3" tire. Of course there are so many variables that something like tread/etc could perhaps have just as much or more of an impact than mere width.

Edited by AtlasP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everything Rywokast said. And just add that if a major aspect of your riding style is carving (90% for me), the 16x is sooo freaking great that it would push me to go that route in the final analysis. I have a 4th gen 16x so a lot of the earlier issues have been addressed.  But for just going dead-ahead-Fred style the 18xl would be great. I do enjoy carving on my 18L but it’s not close to the feelz I get from 16x.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Treatz said:

I agree with everything Rywokast said. And just add that if a major aspect of your riding style is carving (90% for me), the 16x is sooo freaking great that it would push me to go that route in the final analysis. I have a 4th gen 16x so a lot of the earlier issues have been addressed.  But for just going dead-ahead-Fred style the 18xl would be great. I do enjoy carving on my 18L but it’s not close to the feelz I get from 16x.

haha i would hope as a courier getting to where he has to go as quickly as possible would be the goal and not carving :P i still want to try a 16X one of the only wheels i havent been on lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the reliability of 16x is actually bad even after extra weatherproofing+bodyguard?  18 XL is more expensive so some extra work wth 16x is not a problem. But if it's still significantly less reliable I have to seriosuly consider XL. For courier work I expect my wheel to last tens of thousands of km's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tai Mar said:

So the reliability of 16x is actually bad even after extra weatherproofing+bodyguard?  18 XL is more expensive so some extra work wth 16x is not a problem. But if it's still significantly less reliable I have to seriosuly consider XL. For courier work I expect my wheel to last tens of thousands of km's. 

yes... it is a gamble with the 16X... 18XL is a tad more expensive (depending where you are... in my country you can find the 2000W model on sale everywhere) you should try if you can to find the 2000W model to save some money.. it has only very slightly less torque, the older motor can be made silent and more aggressive by just updating the FW but the 18XL has a long time proven track record of reliability and its comfort is unmatched imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...