Wrongful death lawsuit against OneWheel

After having ridden the XR and ridden EUC's my personal conclusion was that the OneWheel was too dangerous, and wouldn't recommend anyone ride one. I took the OneWheel photo out of my profile. EUC's are more roadworthy, reliable and crashes are rare and less severe.

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

While your feet are in the wrong position for running out of a crash, "too dangerous" is the operator exceeding their abilities.

I've seen members here crash, and other members run out a crash. I think it depends on luck, skill, and circumstance. I ran out a crash yesterday after over-speeding a machine, my intention was not to over-speed, nor crash the machine, but that's the risk one takes when going fast, which was entirely my risk to take.

I'm not a OneWheel type of owner, nor a scooter guy--even though they're safer than wheels and hoverboards. I like riding what I like riding, it's that simple. I think it is much the same for other people too, they like what they like.

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
(schpelling)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

While your feet are in the wrong position for running out of a crash, "too dangerous" is the operator exceeding their abilities.

You can have the opinion of "it's just another EV, and you have to learn it's limits", but I think the OneWheel is an exception.

Feedback from the wheel is poor. The riding modes are buggy--I've had the board behavior change after a power-off / power on cycle. There are no warning beeps that you're over-leaning, so if you don't feel the tiltback then you're going to eat a pavement sandwich. The tiltback can be hard to recognize with different foot positions. On an EUC or a scooter, a bump is just a bump. But the OneWheel tram-lines badly, so a bump makes the board jerk violently *sideways* underneath you. This is true for just irregularities in the pavement, there doesn't have to be an actual road hazard. You can crash when you don't see it coming. The OneWheel takes your feet with it, so you often fall on your back or side or spins you so you fall awkwardly. I think the OneWheel looks fun, easy,  and inviting, but it's deceptively dangerous. It's just my opinion, but it's an informed opinion because I've owned and ridden one. My advice, go with a different EV.

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 3

The onewheel is a literal death trap.  I've been riding PEVs for so long and my only major injury has been on the onewheel.  I overpowered it at under manufacturers stated top speed and I'm only 140 lbs.  The limits of this device are low.  Additionally the design of it makes it easy for the foot pads to dig into things when going up hill.  The sideways stance will always make sure you shoulder check the pavement at whatever speed you were riding at, hence the 1000s of broken collar bones.  

If you want to see horrific pictures, join onewheel crash group on facebook to see broken bones sticking out of skin, broken spines, people in hospital beds, etc.  Yet they say it's all about the stoke and the float.  If I try to say EUCs are safer and better, literally you will get a gang of people saying you look like a dork on an euc and they would never want to do that.  In fact if you are on that facebook onewheel crash group, just search Marc Malik and see my post with 300+ comments saying how onewheel is better than EUC.  Sadly I was one of these people blinded by the onewheel, until I discovered the EUC which is by far the safest PEV out.  The larger tires, your weight being on top of the motor rather than in front/back of it, more powerful motors, bigger batteries, and more advanced warning mechanisms when approaching limits make it soooo much safer than a onewheel.  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 3

Absolutely, completely true. 

Add one more to the list: Very experienced PEV rider; I’ve been riding e-bikes, e-scooters, hoverboards, e-skateboards, OneWheels, and EUCs from their first availability. I’ve fallen/crashed all of them. I’ve only had ONE serious injury (torn meniscus— 6-months to heal), and that was from a OneWheel cutout.

Add to that a certain arrogance from the OneWheel staff, and I think you’ve got a recipe for a significant class-action lawsuit. The sad part is, with a modicum of sense of responsibility, the safety of the OneWheel could be improved dramatically; with more power and/or better/more flexible overpower warning systems.

Out of pure luck I sold my last Boosted Board before their bankruptcy. I just sold my OW Pint this weekend.  My XR is going up for sale next. 

• Like 3

On 5/25/2020 at 6:51 AM, JZT-Colorado said:

The sad part is, with a modicum of sense of responsibility, the safety of the OneWheel could be improved dramatically; with more power and/or better/more flexible overpower warning systems.

I agree. It could help if the board had more clearance (maybe by putting the axel below the aluminum rails instead in the center), and the riding mode was made stiffer. Tiltback could be made more obvious, and they should have loud beeps to let you know you're pushing your luck. A stronger motor so it could tiltback all the way and still have some headroom. I don't think you can do much about the tramlining--the fat tire is part of the appeal.

You know Future Motion used to have leaderboard of who could go the fastest--not kidding! That's a recipe for overleans! Incredibly reckless.

Edited by erk1024

Oh shit... Everyone watch how this pans out, as it would be a mistake to think it may not spill over into the euc market as well. It was just a matter of time. This is sad to hear about from all perspectives.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think Future Motion's devices are safe, but people love them and it is a good introduction to PEVs. I went from a Boosted Board to a OneWheel then to EUCs and never looked back. I hope that they make it through this.

• Like 1