EUC daily commuters?

Tom

I'd love to use my EUC every day, but unfortunately there's only a 5 min walk from my tram stop to my office (same to home) and it's all city center so I'm more concerned about attracting attention (I hate people staring at me especially in the morning when I just want to be left alone) and getting in trouble with a high police presence here in the UK (however when riding around for fun I have passed several police cars with no reaction).

Anyway I've been somewhat obsessed and jealous with the idea of being able to ride my EUC every day for a real utility purpose, so who uses their EUC in a daily commute? How far, how busy is your route and what are the reactions like? Do you use it every single day and is it undoubtedly an advantage (even once the novelty wears off)?

I do, I have a 5km commute that doesnt have a direct public transportation line, so to get to my job I'd have to take a detour via my city's main station and that takes 40 minutes. With the EUC I can go direct and am door-to-door in roughly 15 minutes. I do this since june this year and made something over 700km so far. One flat tire made me ride bus for a week, other than that no problems. Police stopped me once, but I passed about 10 of their cars.

My route is busy-ish, but not a main street. I try to avoid busy roads as good as I can by riding through residential neighborhoods, adds a little to the commute but not more than 5 minutes in total..

here's a video of it, but beware its pretty boring... ;)

I only got my first EUC 2 weeks ago today.  First venture outside was last Saturday & I bought it to London for the first time yesterday (and then waterproofed it last night having ridden 2 miles in the rain yesterday & my lights went mad).

I've only got a 132W so am restricted by range, but am already looking to upgrade to 340 which will mean I can ditch the 6 mile train journey from Westcombe Park.

I work in IT in London & have to visit several clients per day - anyone more than 0.5 miles away, I'm now on my EUC ! :)  I've already passed a few Police cars, and no issues at all - LOTS of comments as you pass people though.

DO IT - you know it makes sense !

@Tom , I commute to work 1.7 miles on the EU every day unless it is raining when I get up! (I know, WEAK!) I often end up riding home in rain because there is no predicting what the evening will be like. (I consider weather reports a spoiler!) I bring my charger with me to work, but I clearly don't need it! When it is cold out, I feel an extra boost of confidence with a full battery. I used to have a 132 Wh model and it would drain 50% on the way in, mostly because I climb a big hill.

You have to get over the people staring, that doesn't matter. What does matter is safety: I live in a small USA town and traffic is very manageable. I am used to riding my bicycle to work so I am very aware that drivers do not see pedestrians, cyclists, and for that matter, I assue EUists as well. I wear protective gear, lights, fluorescence, and reflection. Additionally it sounds like what does matter to you is restriction from policemen. I recommend that you are prepared with a trolley handle or a backpack so if you are stopped you have a convenient way to progress on foot.

Not only do people stare, but they frequently shout questions. I try to be a good ambassador for EUs and still make it to work on time: I slow to a creeping pace, smile, laugh, answer questions, but all the time crawling ever forward towards work. Eventually we are out of earshot from each other and I wave!

One thing I love about the EU commute is that I don't sweat so I can ride in in business clothing and not need a change or shower to get to work.

We will get snow sometime soon here in central Pennsylvania. I will ride my mountain bike in snow, but since I'm not Vee, I expect I will put up my EU for the snowy winter. Maybe if I'm not lazy I'll build an ice traction tire like he demonstrated.

In the end, I suppose you are going to have to make a decision based on your local battlefield, your skills, and your best judgement.

12 hours ago, Fuerte said:

Jag, I am sorry, but what type of EUC do you have and and you are riding during the video? I see that it is a ninebot one, but is it a C+, E, or E+?

its a N10 E+ I ride. But dont be sorry! :D

Awesome, I get a vicarious enjoyment reading these :D

I did bring in my EUC into work (didn't ride it, all the kerbs mean it would be slow having to keep getting on and off) but your posts gave me inspiration to ride it from the gym to the tram stop (about 1km). It was dark, my legs were sore, raining and quite busy with commuters so I got everyone staring at me, even a few guys chased me (I didn't turn to look but they where just being harmless and watched to see more I think).

It's actually quite overwhelming, I think a nice warm coat, scarf and wooly hat made me feel less exposed and somehow easier to get over the attention (they can't see me!) but it was awesome, so fun, already can't wait to do it again, but it will have to be for fun with friends because it isn't practical at this point to carry it in every day for a 5min ride in the evening :rolleyes:

Archived