eucWatch - Standalone band/watch

After using the watch a couple of days, I'd like to confirm that it works great. You even get SMS and notifications on the watch, if you want.

I find particulary useful the haptic watch alarms. But as it (feature request 1), it is not possible to fine tune the (speed) limits accurately. If the wheel speed limit setup face was re-used, it would be possible to set an haptic return like 1-2 km/h before the wheel alarm so you can slow down just before hitting the annoying beeps.

It would also be nice (feature request 2) to be able to apply a correction to the speed measured by the wheel. Indeed, my KS16X overestimates speeb by 6%. Any basic bike speedmeter is able to correct speed. It would be nice if the wheel was able to display accurate speed and distances. IMO, don't bother with speed limits settings and let them as it (based on fake wheel speed) ; just apply the corrections on the main watch face.

Is there a feature request list?  
Like can I have always-on for the screen?
The MPH label on the front would be good to be able to change to kmh too.   
Being able to change the colours would be good also.

I was hoping I'd be able to mount this watch on my helmet as a hud,  but I can't focus my eyes on it that close ;-)
Its a shame to lose access to the heart monitoring etc when flashing it into an EUC watch.

Is there a user manual for the setup too?      Something showing what the icons are in the settings etc.

ps.   Mine was giving some gyp,   locking up the watch at one point where it wouldn't respond,  and was dropping off connection to the wheel after a few seconds every time.
I went back to the web-page loader and reinstalled All and now it seems to be working reliably.  

• The screen is always on when over the speed/amp limit set at the haptic alarms, regardless if vibration is enabled,  so you can use a lower number there to make it allways on.
  • Long hold on the speed field, it will toggle mph/kph. 
  • themes are in the todo list, for quite a while :)

no manual yet, will do for v1, sometime next month. 

ps. I do not have a v11 to test, if you think it is acting strange it may be that it is. It it happens again please let me know. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 10:37 AM, Tokumeino said:

I find particulary useful the haptic watch alarms. But as it (feature request 1), it is not possible to fine tune the (speed) limits accurately. If the wheel speed limit setup face was re-used, it would be possible to set an haptic return like 1-2 km/h before the wheel alarm so you can slow down just before hitting the annoying beeps.

The haptic alert follows one on the 3 alarms on the ks, so if you do not use all three alarms, you can do the following:

Enable alarm 1 and/or 2, set them at speeds you think are useful for your case, disable them so the the wheel will not beep, and use them in the haptic alarm. 

but I see your point, I will make this menu simpler. 

• Like 3

Got everything working on a P8, nice! Thank you for all your effort on this.
It's half the weight of the Pebble Time Steel I typically use with EUC World, and bigger, high contrast screen, I like it. Looking forward to atc1441 getting the new Kospet Magic 3 and others all ready for hacking OTA. Nice hardware and screen for the money! Kinda want to play around with the Arduino libraries. His lvgl demo recently looked pretty nice.
P8VSTimeSteel.thumb.jpg.8ed878f518f0f217138fd3235070cb0c.jpg
Manual V1 will be great, tho I did figure out a lot by fiddling around, haha. I think the main thing I don't totally understand is the haptic alarm menu. Does tapping (not long press) toggle them on/off? Also, I got a little confused with the advanced dash options, like long press for kmph<-->mph, but I think it was short press to change the current and battery display options.

Took it for a quick 5 mile ride today with the V11, and it performed great! Raise to wake was much more reliable than my Time Steel too, actually. I like it a lot. I definitely look forward to further V11 integration. Happy to be a guinea pig if you need. 🙂 Bridge like with the S18 so I can get data logging with EUC World + V11 and still use the P8 would be a dream.

Cheers!
~Vincent

• Like 2

Even after re-installing (from the app site) I'm still getting it lock up after a few seconds after connecting to the wheel.   
It responds speed wise then goes static and doesn't change till I long press to back out and then long press to restart it.  
Where do I start please?

V11.   P8b.   

3 hours ago, t0me said:

Even after re-installing (from the app site) I'm still getting it lock up after a few seconds after connecting to the wheel.   
It responds speed wise then goes static and doesn't change till I long press to back out and then long press to restart it.  
Where do I start please?

V11.   P8b.   

it sounds like it is getting low on mem, try disabling all the options on the bt menu, then do a restart form the watch to save the changes, and see if it helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Manual V1 will be great, tho I did figure out a lot by fiddling around, haha. I think the main thing I don't totally understand is the haptic alarm menu. Does tapping (not long press) toggle them on/off? Also, I got a little confused with the advanced dash options, like long press for kmph<-->mph, but I think it was short press to change the current and battery display options.

Took it for a quick 5 mile ride today with the V11, and it performed great! Raise to wake was much more reliable than my Time Steel too, actually. I like it a lot. I definitely look forward to further V11 integration. Happy to be a guinea pig if you need. 🙂 Bridge like with the S18 so I can get data logging with EUC World + V11 and still use the P8 would be a dream.

nice, to you have a 816-sc7a20 watch? 

Yes the long/short presses confuse me too sometimes, they are quick hacks to allow for features without making menus for them, I will try to clean them up a bit when i put them in a manual :)

Taping the haptic menu item toggles the buzzer on/off for that item (the dash color coding and screen always-on is also using values from this menu). 

Bridge is coming soon, I finally got the dump from a z10. :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Looking forward to atc1441 getting the new Kospet Magic 3 and others all ready for hacking OTA. Nice hardware and screen for the money! Kinda want to play around with the Arduino libraries. His lvgl demo recently looked pretty nice.

I second that :D

When that happens I will continue with this project because it will just fly speed wise on the 52840, refresh will be instant, but an lvgl team-effort project would be excellent. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 5:12 AM, t0me said:

I was hoping I'd be able to mount this watch on my helmet as a hud,  but I can't focus my eyes on it that close ;-)

I have experimented with placing a lens from inexpensive reading glasses (+3.0) over a watch face and that seems to help.

Still looking for a good hinge mount solution to attach to the leading edge of the helmet visor, to flip the watch up out of the way securely.

Is there an app or hack to pair this watch with an android phone camera for always-on remote view, similar to the apple watch camera app?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, litewave said:

Is there an app or hack to pair this watch with an android phone camera for always-on remote view, similar to the apple watch camera app?

no way I am afraid over BLE and NRF for stuff like that, the apple watch maybe uses wifi for that?

1 hour ago, enaon said:

it sounds like it is getting low on mem, try disabling all the options on the bt menu, then do a restart form the watch to save the changes, and see if it helps.

So when I click on the bluetooth icon,  the icons that pop up mean....?

Also,  for clarity,   to restart....?   (cos I hold the "dial" button and the screen goes off,   but then it won't come on again,  the dial button just gives a haptic buzz and nothing the screen doesn't come on.   Might be still having a low memory issue,  I went into BT,  nothing responded,  turned it off...  and here we are,  off,  blank screen,  haptic feedback,  doesn't turn on.

Edit,  wont' turn on,  no haptic feedback now,   just dead :-(
Probably work itself out overnight,  I'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by t0me

14 minutes ago, enaon said:

no way I am afraid over BLE and NRF for stuff like that, the apple watch maybe uses wifi for that?

It uses bluetooth. Just not keen to use a $500 watch as a HUD.

image.png.ecb2363e6f10598b3c344d18347fbe25.png

Edited by litewave

14 minutes ago, t0me said:

So when I click on the bluetooth icon,  the icons that pop up mean....?

Also,  for clarity,   to restart....?   (cos I hold the "dial" button and the screen goes off,   but then it won't come on again,  the dial button just gives a haptic buzz and nothing the screen doesn't come on.   Might be still having a low memory issue,  I went into BT,  nothing responded,  turned it off...  and here we are,  off,  blank screen,  haptic feedback,  doesn't turn on.

• check that you have the correct accel selected, your choice is stored on the info page on the settings(swipe up).
  • Make sure the accelerator works, by enabling the raise to wake button on settings.
  • If it does not work, go to the loader, re upload just the handler file, and select the other choice for the accel. 
  • please let me know what it was that you have selected before, bma421 or sc7a20?

2.jpg.f956c3d1ee54dcc4aff6fb86db017843.jpg

make sure the bt menu is like so, and the do a restart to save, using the button in the info page. 

1.jpg.a999fcbf98d468c56173b2ca22eb35a6.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, litewave said:

yes.

ok just so that you get the difference, the p8 uses a shared 8bit spi for both the flash and the screen, and ram is so limmited that the hole screen buffer in full color does not fit, so I refresh little bits in 2 color mode.  :D

On the other hand, it has a standby of ~60 days. :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, enaon said:

• check that you have the correct accel selected, your choice is stored on the info page on the settings(swipe up).
  • Make sure the accelerator works, by enabling the raise to wake button on settings.
  • If it does not work, go to the loader, re upload just the handler file, and select the other choice for the accel. 
  • please let me know what it was that you have selected before, bma421 or sc7a20?

2.jpg.f956c3d1ee54dcc4aff6fb86db017843.jpg

make sure the bt menu is like so, and the do a restart to save, using the button in the info page. 

1.jpg.a999fcbf98d468c56173b2ca22eb35a6.jpg

It finally came back up.

Raise to wakeup - when enabled - does not work.
BT - as yours after it came back up.

Acc type SC7A20 and Touch 716.   Not sure what I chose so I'll re-flash to be sure.

do  a restart from info menu, enable the accel, do the check to make sure it does not work.

This gets on automatically when the EUC is running, so do not enable the euc yet. Just make sure it does not work when using it as a watch.

If you are sure, then go here:

https://enaon.github.io/eucWatch/p8#core

connect and press the little lines on the handler file on the Library-core tab.

It wlll present you with the option to reselect the accel, select the bma one, leave 716 as is if the touch is working ok. 

Edited by enaon

2 minutes ago, enaon said:

do you remember if you ever had  raise to wake up working when it was connected to the euc?

No,  I don't remember it every working except when the watch was stock.

I went straight to re-running the installer.  Chose SC7A20 and 716.   Raise to wake-up works now.   In light of that should I proceed with any of the other instructions you posted?

Also,  before reading the additional instruction posts above after reinstalling, I had already connected to the EUC,  it has stayed connected for the minute I played with it so that appears to be fixed.   I'll test it for longer tomorrow and report back.

Thankyou for assisting Enaon,   much appreciated.

nice, the only thing I told you to do different, is to upload just the handler file instead of all of them, but the result is the same. 

please let me know if that solved the hanging issue.

Edited by enaon

43 minutes ago, t0me said:

Acc type SC7A20 and Touch 716.   Not sure what I chose so I'll re-flash to be sure.

18 minutes ago, t0me said:

Chose SC7A20 and 716. 

Just to make sure, raise to wake now works,

but your accel was sc7a20 on the info page before re installing, and you selected the sc7a20 again in the installer option, so it is still shown as sc7a20 on the info page?

• enaon changed the title to eucWatch - Standalone band/watch