eucWatch - Standalone band/watch

20 hours ago, enaon said:

FYI there is now a low priced and easy to hack smartwatch, that can be used as a standalone display for our wheels. 

I wrote a small client for the ninebot one c/e, haptic feedback is a very nice way of getting informed, I think it should be standard for all wheels, better than beeps. 

This is a teaser video, more info on getting started here:

https://github.com/atc1441/ATCwatch

https://github.com/fanoush/ds-d6/tree/master/espruino/DFU/P8

I want to get a cheap smart watch to show me the speed of my v8f while riding. How do I do that?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Albatross said:

I want to get a cheap smart watch to show me the speed of my v8f while riding. How do I do that?

I would first get a p8 smart watch off aliexpress or gearbest or somewhere else. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000557708951.html

Next step whould be to get a custom firmware with an inmotion client inside the watch. This step does not yet exist but if no one makes it I will, maybe before your watch arrives. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Please let me know what is needed to make this work. 

patiennce mostly, due to covid19 orders from aliexpress are slow at the momment it seems. :)

Wheellog code in on github thus I believe it will be fairly straight forward to make a client for all wheels, and putting that to the watch it trivial, you will do it using your android smartphone. 

I have an iPhone only at the moment. But I’m sure that I can get a cheap android phone. As long as it doesn’t need to mine hooked up to a cell network. 

the android smartphone part is needed in order to flash a new firmware on the watch without opening it up. 

You can watch this video for more info from Aaron, the one that made easy flashing possible. 

and on hackaday: :)

https://hackaday.com/2020/05/02/cheap-smartwatch-hacking-to-run-your-own-code/

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This P8 watch idea looks great. I was looking at Pebble watches, but I'm not sure that the guy in Spain selling them on eBay would send them down here to NZ.

I noticed Pinetime watches online, and thought that they would be ideal for EUC wheel development. Just needs someone cleverer than me to write the KingSong (and others) code.

Now I see that you've already been considering this as an option. Maybe an entrepreneur type EUC wheeler could buy the watches, programme them, and on-sell them complete to end users.

A question - when you buy the P8 watches they come with a built-in fitness app. After they've been flashed is there any way to recover the original app? Maybe the DaFit  

Flasher has a backup option.

23 hours ago, BigRedNZ said:

This P8 watch idea looks great. I was looking at Pebble watches, but I'm not sure that the guy in Spain selling them on eBay would send them down here to NZ.

I noticed Pinetime watches online, and thought that they would be ideal for EUC wheel development. Just needs someone cleverer than me to write the KingSong (and others) code.

Now I see that you've already been considering this as an option. Maybe an entrepreneur type EUC wheeler could buy the watches, programme them, and on-sell them complete to end users.

A question - when you buy the P8 watches they come with a built-in fitness app. After they've been flashed is there any way to recover the original app? Maybe the DaFit  

Flasher has a backup option.

the p8 watch is a pinetime, same hardware, pinouts, manufacturer. Some minor differences on how the button is handled exist, but is trivial. 

They are indeed very nice for the price, good batery, screen and vibration motor. I will iron out  the ninebot client this week and will look into other makers. The Nrf52 inside the watch can be in client and server mode simultaneously, thus in the case of ninebot where secure bonding is not needed, the watch can be connected to the wheel and still allow for the phone to connect by proxying the connection. 

A client for euc world is also easy to make I believe, maybe @Seba would like to have a look. 

It is possible to revert to original firmware, but not over the air as of yet, oppening the watch is needed for that. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

FYI, In case someone considers making a product out of this for the end-user like @BigRedNZ suggested, the p8 is not the only watch that can be used. Atc1441 has a list of compatible devices, all dafit watches with the Nrf52 chipset are canditates, over 400 models in total. 

https://gist.github.com/atc1441/d0a3c1f5ee69ab901bccba4eb47a6e4e

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Albatross said:

My P8 should be here via Aliexpress in a week or two.  I watched the videos posted in this thread and still have no idea what I need to do lol.

you are right, it is a bit confusing. I will upload a clear how-to, don't worry. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, enaon said:

you are right, it is a bit confusing. I will upload a clear how-to, don't worry. 

You are the man!!!

looking forward to it.

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 2:40 PM, Llorx said:

This is cool. What about battery duration with screen always on?

I haven't checked that, but the screen is power hungry, less than a day is my bet. It needs not to be allways on though, it comes on when raised, and also when alarms come in  regardless of position, so when it buzzes you can see why at anytime. 

this maybe the best vfm at ~$15 if just a daytime dashboard is wanted, transflective allways on screen, no touch though. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 7:02 AM, enaon said:

Time flies :)

Has anyone got the P8?

I have made progress, in about a month or so I will finish with the gadgetbridge support so that it can be used as a smartwatch, and will call the software version 1 :)

I will get a kingsong later this year so it will support that too, but for now if one has a ninebot one c/e/p or s2, I think this watch makes a huge difference, it is a joy to ride using it. 

68747470733a2f2f692e6962622e636f2f504d57

https://streamable.com/j9uf6p

So I got one. It’s still packaged in its box, not sure what to do with it. Lol

1 hour ago, Albatross said:

So I got one. It’s still packaged in its box, not sure what to do with it. Lol

NIce, sory for the time wasted, I started trying to write a dashboard and ended up writing a smartwatch. The GadgetBridge support was easier than I thought or I am getting better, I will ping you again in 15 days or so, I will try to make an inmotion client as well. :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, enaon said:

NIce, sory for the time wasted, I started trying to write a dashboard and ended up writing a smartwatch. The GadgetBridge support was easier than I thought or I am getting better, I will ping you again in 15 days or so, I will try to make an inmotion client as well. :)

Currently I just have GotWay wheels. But no reason to apologize, anything good takes time. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I now have Gadgetbridge support, it can get notifications and make actions, working nice. Will now add support for OsmAnd, in order to have turn by turn directions :)

IMG-20201005-173613738.jpg

IMG-20201005-173631462.jpg

IMG-20201005-170622089.jpg

IMG-20201005-174120077.jpg

Edited by enaon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, Albatross said:

Currently I just have GotWay wheels. But no reason to apologize, anything good takes time. 

just a quick update, you won't have to install files to try it out after all, an online apps loader with updates will be used. :)

https://enaon.github.io/eucWatch/p8.html

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

The watch is now stable and feature rich enough, to be called v1. 

It has alarms, a calculator, notifications, weather, call handling, and ofcource the euc client. 
It also has a nice appstore where updates can be aplied using a chrome browser(phone/pc) over the air, very easy. 

I will make a simple "how to" for the initial installation proccess, till then I just wanted to let anyone that cares know that a new watch is now avalable, that looks like the perfect match for us. 
It has allways on transflective screen, a fast proccesor, gps and compass, and will be supported by espruino. 

http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/355626/

Edited by enaon
  • Like 3

Awesome - I ordered a P8 a few weeks ago based on what I saw here, and am looking forward to getting it ready to go (it should arrive within the next week or so). Will your firmware be compatible with a Gotway Tesla V2? :-)

• Like 1

• enaon changed the title to eucWatch - Standalone band/watch