Can anyone vouch for SmartWheel.ca? (Canada)

Tryptych

Hello all,

I am considering pre-ordering my V11 through this site www.smartwheel.ca 

I've never dealt with them, and this is a really big purchase - has anyone ever bought from them them?  What did you get? Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

• Like 1

@Tryptych I live in the GTA area and have purchased my 3 wheels for eWheels. Excellent service and support. Cheaper too.

I have no issues with Samrtwheels.ca . The main reason why I didn't purchase from them was they never appear to have anything in stock.

Good luck with your purchase.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone dealt with inmotioncanada.com? Their prices are about $100 cheaper than all other Canadian distributors, including SmartWheel, but I can’t verify if they’re real. I looked up their address on Google Maps and it looks like a house with no signage. Their Google reviews seem suspect. 

On 6/20/2020 at 9:41 PM, Code_3_Guy said:

I’m curious as well. Sent them an email awhile back and still haven’t heard anything from them. 

I've already noticed this as well - they are busy, or understaffed, or it's COVID19 related - but they do not answer emails very quickly, usually it takes a few days. At the same time: I ordered an innertube from them on Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday - they seem to ship quickly, but email is not a priority for them.

Regardless....  I have reluctantly placed my C$3000+ V11 pre-order with them instead of good old reliable eWheels.com primarily because they are in located in Ontario and I refuse to spend a penny in the States while Trump is around (sorry eWheels!)

If they let me down you (and the rest of the internet) will all know about it.

Edited by Tryptych

I use vaneuc because the guy who runs it is awesome. I've met one of the people from smartwheel and he was nice enough, but their prices are always the highest so i refuse to buy from them. You can get a better deal through ewheels after shipping. Duties and other boarder robbery fees. It would still come up to less than smartwheel half the time. Which sucks because they have a physical storefront out here and i'd love to have a place locally to roll into for maint and other things. 

2 hours ago, seage said:

You can get a better deal through ewheels after shipping. Duties and other boarder robbery fees. It would still come up to less than smartwheel half the time. 

Their prices are the same as everyone else for the EUCs I've been looking at. Plus I got $100 off for pre-ordering.

I did eWheels last time for my V8 and got hit with over C$100 C.O.D. in Duty and Taxes when it crossed the border which surprised me - the FedEx dude would not give me my wheel until I paid right then and there. The duty and HST on a $3000 item crossing the border will be much more significant, I can imagine it being well over $300

And besides: Trump!  'nuff said.

3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I've already noticed this as well - they are busy, or understaffed, or it's COVID19 related - but they do not answer emails very quickly, usually it takes a few days. At the same time: I ordered an innertube from them on Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday - they seem to ship quickly, but email is not a priority for them.

Regardless....  I have reluctantly placed my C$3000+ V11 pre-order with them instead of good old reliable eWheels.com primarily because they are in located in Ontario and I refuse to spend a penny in the States while Trump is around (sorry eWheels!)

Wow, penalizing an entire nation and a trusted company over political opinion of a figurehead? Somehow I just KNEW that this all ties back to being Jason at e-wheels' fault.... Makes me sad to read these kind of things. I'm not a fan of communism, but i still  patron China, and I dont hold it against them, personally. Anyhow, sorry to bring attention to a side point as its not the topic here. COngrats on the v11 order regardless, I'm sure it will be a great wheel for you!

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2020 at 1:35 AM, Tryptych said:

Have you received your V11 yet from SmartWheel?  If not, you might want to contact them ASAP.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:00 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Wow, penalizing an entire nation and a trusted company over political opinion of a figurehead?

Of course - lots of us are doing it. Canadians are not travelling to the States like they used to, or spending money down there like they used to. Fix your "figurehead" - he is costing you trillions.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:05 PM, Dragon-Fly said:

Have you received your V11 yet from SmartWheel?  If not, you might want to contact them ASAP.

No, we haven't (I now know two others who have ordered V11s from here). Nobody has - InMotion is holding them back to work out the problems discovered in the first batch. We had an update from Smartwheel a week or so back.

Why are you saying to contact them ASAP?

10 hours ago, Arman said:

Vaneuc.com is the best place. He is the nicest man ever!!

Yes I have heard really good things about Vaneuc, and not so-great things about Smartwheel.ca

They might get my business on my next wheel because Smartwheel always seems like they are too busy to answer emails - responses take at least 3+ days which is frustrating compared to eWheels and Jason's awesome customer service.

I think the fella at Vaneuc is probably legit and a good person. His website caused me pause though, as did the terms of conditions I needed to agree to when I opened an account. When I spoke to him it seemed like a different story than the terms and conditions on the site, so perhaps it's a simple fix. He also wanted a full price deposit for a wheel that was back ordered and would not accept paypal. All together, it put me off but I do expect the guy running it is decent. If I had been able to meet him, or go for a ride etc., I probably would have proceeded. There was no way I would put down a full deposit with a small business run out of someone's garage though, especially without protection from paypal.

Smartwheels has been good to work with, my KS 18XL is from them. A recent email from them, which was apologetic for the delays in getting back to me, indicated they are getting flooded by product requests and purchases and struggling to keep up with demand. Perhaps they will bring on more staff to catch up but if it was me I'd probably just ride it out until winter when things will slow down on their own.

1 hour ago, Tryptych said:

No, we haven't (I now know two others who have ordered V11s from here). Nobody has - InMotion is holding them back to work out the problems discovered in the first batch. We had an update from Smartwheel a week or so back.

Why are you saying to contact them ASAP?

It looks like we both ordered wheels from them at around the same time with a similar ETA, and they are expecting 2-3 weeks delay, but it looks like you're in a different situation.

10 hours ago, Dragon-Fly said:

It looks like we both ordered wheels from them at around the same time with a similar ETA, and they are expecting 2-3 weeks delay, but it looks like you're in a different situation.

I ordered in May. At this point I don't think anyone, including Smartwheel, knows when they will come.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, new user here from the west coast of Canada. I’ve preordered an EUC from smartwheel.ca and one thing that bothers me is their lack of communication. If you don’t reach out to them for updates, they will definitely not update you. Maybe they don’t sell as many EUCs as they do other PEVs and can’t be bothered. On the other hand, I’ve done business with Tom from vaneuc.com and I’m impressed with the way he handles his business. After inquiring about a wheel, he’s personally reached out to let me know when he will be expecting inventory, plus kept me up to date on when he might be shipping out. Best thing is he’s only a text message away. Really wish I pre-ordered from him instead. Oh well. I will update you guys once I get my wheel too. 

I received my V10f and mten3 from Smartwheel.ca so this company is legit. They don't do email well so keep that in mind. During the covid-19 lockdown, I think they were struggling like most other businesses, but the worst of it has passed. It seems like they keep low inventory to keep costs down and maintain cash flowing. They charge only their provinces taxes so it may be cheaper go with them. I don't live in Ontario but they maintain a store front and servicing centre so that's mainly why I buy from them.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 2:00 AM, CosmicPete said:

I’ve preordered an EUC from smartwheel.ca and one thing that bothers me is their lack of communication. If you don’t reach out to them for updates, they will definitely not update you. 

Agreed. After deal with Jason from eWheels for my first wheel it is extremely frustrating to deal with Smartwheel on my second. They take a few days (or more) to answer email and always seem to be really overwhelmed and under staffed. Hard to tell how much of this is related to COVID19 - but I don't hear similar complaints about eWheels and VanEUC .

Still waiting for my V11 (not their fault - InMotion has delayed it). I plan to drive out there to pick it up and check out their store. I will be updating this thread again within a few weeks with my final impression.

Edited by Tryptych

Went to check out the Burlington store yesterday. Little shop, lots of scooters and euc demo wheels. They also had a Pint and an Xr demo. No demos trials due to covid tho. Went to see what they had in stock to maybe put my v11 deposit on a different wheel just cos im so anxious to start learning to ride but kept my preorder. They did have lots in stock tho, a msp, v10f, 18xl, one of the 16" ones, etc. About 2 minites after i showed up, 3 other groups showed. One for scooter not charging, another picking up msp that wasn't charging and another picking up brand new onewheel. He mentioned batch 2 orders probably arrive mid Oct+

• 8 months later...

Bought from them a few times, so far so good. They are definitely legit. I visited the store and it was quite busy so I can see a lot of people relating to not getting an answer on time. Test rides was closed but staff helped explain everything. From me, thumbsup.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I bought a V11 from smartwheels this summer. It arrived with everything well packed. As stated they are a bit lax in the email communication department, I had to reach out to confirm some details. I had some software issues in the beginning and their technical support was very helpful. I would buy from them again. 👍