Help a noob to chose right EUC (MSP vs NIK+?)

Hello folks,

Thanks for the amazing content at this forum.

Some background about why I choose EUC:

With COVID situation at the world I start research an pratical alternative to commute, I love cars but it's no so pratical for city's, I think at an ebike, but I live at 3d floor an the building stairs are a little tight, so doing some research I discovered EUC word.. And I love what I seen.

What is my goals:

Something for comute, but I will love play off road too.

Im a relative big 1,87m and 90kg

I would like some good range.

Speed it's not a main concern right now, because I'm a noob, but eventually could be.

Doing my homework i think about two wheels who I think can fit at my needs:

Nikola+: I think it's have a great range and seems to be a nice speed.

MSP: I see a lot of videos and reviews and I love it. It's powerful, have a nice range too.

So the real choose is between wheel size? 

Small size has less stability but more torque and handle I'm right? Breaks easy, make corners with less effort. Bigger wheel will give me comfort and stability. 

Please help me to figure if I'm right about my thoughts. And give me some tips.

Thanks for your time and congrats about amazing EUC community.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maximiliano Sequeira said:

What is my goals:

Something for comute, but I will love play off road too.

Im a relative big 1,87m and 90kg

I would like some good range.

Speed it's not a main concern right now, because I'm a noob, but eventually could be.

This sounds like a job for the King Song 18XL. It will probably be fast enough for you for a while (50 kmh), unless you are one of those wheel savants that needs great speed in less than 6 months of riding. The trolley handle is the best for commuting (walking inside buildings, buses, trains). It is noticeably lighter than the MSP, which is better for stairs. It has a reputation for long range. The 2200 watt motor moves my 105 - 108 kg quite easily. Lots of folks off road this wheel and love it.

4 hours ago, Maximiliano Sequeira said:

Small size has less stability but more torque and handle I'm right? Breaks easy, make corners with less effort. Bigger wheel will give me comfort and stability. 

Please help me to figure if I'm right about my thoughts. And give me some tips.

True statement, generally. There is a lot of discussion on the forum that tire type makes a big difference also.

I am a new rider (4 months, 2 months riding fairly well around town) that went crazy. I have the MSP and the 18XL. I've often thought to myself that if I was to commute, or travel, etc., the 18XL would be the one to take because it does it all well, and has a high convenience factor (best trolley handle, dual USB ports, dual charging ports, excellent range, strong motor, 18 inch wheel stability, lighter weight). The MSP is more fun I think, but would not win against the 18XL for all the commuting issues.

I have no experience with the Nik+, except to say the trolley handle generally gets better reviews than the MSP / MSX / MSS. Have you already crossed the 18XL off your list? If not, give it a look.     

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 3

I favor the Nikola. I've always referred to it as a compact version of the MSX/MSP.

The Nikola and KS16X are large 16-inch wheels. I wouldn't say they are less stable than a MSX type wheel. I know it's hard for you to relate since you have no experience.

IMHO the 18XL is a last generation wheel (sorry @Scottie), mainly because of the small tire. 3-inch tires is where it's at now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I favor the Nikola. I've always referred to it as a compact version of the MSX/MSP.

I agree with Marty regarding the Nikola. It has great speed, very stable and good range. I feel it’s a little more sensitive to foot placement and tire pressure. For your requirements of talking it up 3 floor that will be awkward due to the width of the handle. Also keep in mind it is a big wheel. It’s taller and wider than my outdated 18XL :facepalm:.

I had a very positive experience learning with the 18XL. It’s stable, fast and has the best trolley handle. The Nikola is a beast. If your concerned about damaging the wheel when learning, invest in a EUC Bodyguard from roll.nz . Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scottie said:

This sounds like a job for the King Song 18XL. It will probably be fast enough for you for a while (50 kmh), unless you are one of those wheel savants that needs great speed in less than 6 months of riding. The trolley handle is the best for commuting (walking inside buildings, buses, trains). It is noticeably lighter than the MSP, which is better for stairs. It has a reputation for long range. The 2200 watt motor moves my 105 - 108 kg quite easily. Lots of folks off road this wheel and love it.

True statement, generally. There is a lot of discussion on the forum that tire type makes a big difference also.

I am a new rider (4 months, 2 months riding fairly well around town) that went crazy. I have the MSP and the 18XL. I've often thought to myself that if I was to commute, or travel, etc., the 18XL would be the one to take because it does it all well, and has a high convenience factor (best trolley handle, dual USB ports, dual charging ports, excellent range, strong motor, 18 inch wheel stability, lighter weight). The MSP is more fun I think, but would not win against the 18XL for all the commuting issues.

I have no experience with the Nik+, except to say the trolley handle generally gets better reviews than the MSP / MSX / MSS. Have you already crossed the 18XL off your list? If not, give it a look.     

Thanks man. I really appreciate you insights. I will do more research about the 18xl. But here in Europe it's a but I didn't like so much the value X money here in Europe €2.5k Vs €1.8k of MSP 100V 1800wh and €1.6k of Nikola + (1800wh). Gotway seems to deliver more them others for money. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The Nikola and KS16X are large 16-inch wheels. I wouldn't say they are less stable than a MSX type wheel. I know it's hard for you to relate since you have no experience.

IMHO the 18XL is a last generation wheel (sorry @Scottie), mainly because of the small tire. 3-inch tires is where it's at now.

Tnks man. You is the guy at EletricUnicycles YouTube channel I'm right? I already seen a lot of your videos great content.

11 minutes ago, bigwave said:

I agree with Marty regarding the Nikola. It has great speed, very stable and good range. I feel it’s a little more sensitive to foot placement and tire pressure. For your requirements of talking it up 3 floor that will be awkward due to the width of the handle. Also keep in mind it is a big wheel. It’s taller and wider than my outdated 18XL :facepalm:.

I had a very positive experience learning with the 18XL. It’s stable, fast and has the best trolley handle. The Nikola is a beast. If your concerned about damaging the wheel when learning, invest in a EUC Bodyguard from roll.nz . Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase!

LOL. Thanks man!  You and @Marty Backe made me change my mind. I'm ready to pull the trigger for MSP before deciding ask for help here at the forum. Now I'm seriously thinking at get the Nikola. But I'm had a busy day at work and need some time to think properly. 

About the bodyguard it's a very good tip. You know if they have worldwide deliver? I'm located in Lisbon/Portugal.

I will put body guard in my buying list, with safety gear :)

You guys are awesome. Tnks for your time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maximiliano Sequeira said:

Thanks man. I really appreciate you insights. I will do more research about the 18xl. But here in Europe it's a but I didn't like so much the value X money here in Europe €2.5k Vs €1.8k of MSP 100V 1800wh and €1.6k of Nikola + (1800wh). Gotway seems to deliver more them others for money. 

Tnks man. You is the guy at EletricUnicycles YouTube channel I'm right? I already seen a lot of your videos great content.

LOL. Thanks man!  You and @Marty Backe made me change my mind. I'm ready to pull the trigger for MSP before deciding ask for help here at the forum. Now I'm seriously thinking at get the Nikola. But I'm had a busy day at work and need some time to think properly. 

About the bodyguard it's a very good tip. You know if they have worldwide deliver? I'm located in Lisbon/Portugal.

I will put body guard in my buying list, with safety gear :)

You guys are awesome. Tnks for your time!

I agree with you regarding the value proposition of the KingSong line of wheels. They are great wheels but reside at the high end of the price chart. The bang for the buck (Euro :)) that Gotway offers is hard to beat.

I missed the part about carrying the wheel to the 3rd floor. Unfortunately that's going to be tough for most of the performance wheels. I'm a range guy so I prefer to own wheels with 1600wh or bigger batteries. Batteries equate to weight.

Gotway does make a high performance wheel that would be friendlier on your back. It's called the Tesla. I just ordered my second copy of this wheel. You'll sacrifice range and some comfort (smaller diameter and thinner tire) but you'll be less exhausted when reaching the 3rd floor, and your wallet will be less empty. Just giving you options, but I still think the Nikola Plus is the best wheel going right now. Then again mine is a subjective opinion as is everyone's opinion.

Finally, we are blessed with an abundance of great wheels. So don't stress too much. You won't go wrong with any wheel that you go with, even the KS18XL ;)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Scottie said:

This sounds like a job for the King Song 18XL.

I agree completely. The 18XL is so well refined! It's my wheel of choice for a commute hands down!  So many people overlook this wheel when it's one of the best on the market...

• Like 3

Carrying my Nikola--between the weight and weird carrying handle--up 3 flights of stairs sounds like the worst thing ever for me. In fact I made my latest apartment choice in part to avoid a similar stair situation as a Nikola owner. (It was down to the last couple apartment choices, and I chose the one with the elevator.)

I second either the Tesla as the lighter option or the 18XL as the middle-ground.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 10:33 AM, Maximiliano Sequeira said:

I live at 3d floor an the building stairs are a little tight

You shouldn't under estimate the weight of these wheels. Keep in mind a fully loaded suitcase for an air line is around 22Kg and most of the wheels you mention are heavier than this. Would you really be happy lifting it up and down your stairs each day? Is there a storage place in your apartment for bicycles etc that you could use? How long is your commute? Could you consider a smaller wheel like the Kingsong 16S or the Gotway Tesla. There is a 1480Wh battery version of the Tesla out there somewhere which should have a longer range. I weigh more than you and get over 20 miles range on my 16S.

• Like 2

Tnks for all of you! I truly appreciate your help!

About weight. It's important but I'm wondering if I can use the carry handle to help me like @Preston Palmer say.

The straits factor is important cause I will need to handle it for some time, so I don't want a very difficult thing to carry. Otherwise this situation will be for a couple of months, since I will need move when bring my dogs from Brazil. 

@mike_bike_kite not have any storage space here, but maybe my neighbors don't mind if I use a little space at the first floor since the wheel is not too big like a bicycle or something. I will think about it.

@AtlasP yep 3d floor without elevator it's not the best but moved from Brazil to Portugal 8 months ago, so still rebuilding my life. 

I will take some time this weekend to think about all those aspects.