My ATGATT

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Your area does look to be very similar to Southern California. We don't get many humid days or night though. Even at the height of summer nights will tend to be cool.

When we do get a warm night I love going for a ride.

It is, yeah. Hot summers, mild winters. The coldest it got this winter was 1º C, but was at night, and once or twice/year; daytime temperatures are around 7º C on the coldest days of the year, but the average is more around 12-14º C...in the shade :D  When the sun's shining despite the cold, it's hard to complain...

Where I grew up, 45' inland, it was much drier---colder winters, and cool nights even in the summer. I now live on the coast and last summer was awful---humid heat (not Florida-style...I really struggle with that), no breeze....the perfect excuse to make my own breeze by going on night rides  :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2020 at 5:31 PM, Marty Backe said:

Testing my new Leatt body armor. This is the 5.5 HD Pro

IMG_3496-HDR

Hey @Marty Backe -- thanks for all your videos and insights here.

I'm about to buy the same Leatt 5.5 HD Pro too.

How do you like it?

Do you think it protects the collarbone OK?

Can you or anyone else recommend other body armor?

• 2 years later...
On 5/18/2020 at 1:48 AM, Marty Backe said:

Here are my current thoughts on the minimal level of safety gear that should be worn all the time

+1 to motorcycle boots with d3o inserts and kevlar lining, as minimum atgatt.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

+1 to motorcycle boots with d3o inserts and kevlar lining, as minimum atgatt.

Not sure whether these boots were either worn or may have ‘helped’ in Marty’s A2 misadventure, I understand he may have broken a couple ankle bones? Anyway, get well soonest Marty, and sorry to learn of your misfortune.

Edited by Freeforester

• 2 months later...

i just barely escaped what might have been a crash. went to my gate .3 of a km away, carefully looking for fallen branches and sticks, in the shadows u really have to look hard. i pick up my amazon goodies, takes a minute, and head back, feeling confident the pavement was clear. nope, at the last minute directly in front of me is a 6" by 1.5" piece of branch laying inline with my path. idk how but i managed to swerve at the last minute. 

i'm never riding again without fully protected like thankfully i was today, even though i  didn't need it thankfully. i thought about a minimum protection slow ride, but i convince myself if i pad up, i might ride for fun some more, instead of one quick trip.

13 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Glad to her you didn't go down and busted..haha..i knew you rode for fun at some point...:P:D:D:D

haha, actually i found out if i wanna try fancy mode, i need to rack up another 500 plus km's on my v13.:

ur right, i should have said, what if i want to burn this new one in for a few laps. i feel more confident after a few hundred miles, but that won't help if u hit a damn stick. my old rule was, walk Bob first and inspect my road, kicking landmines to the side. my old road is looking more like a trail now than a road.

• Like 1