Kingsong 18xl vs Gotway Msx 84v

Hi guys, 

I am having a hard time choosing between ks18xl and gw msx 84v. 

My main concerns are:

1. build quality

2. reliability

3. commuting in the rain. 

**Please note:

I live in a place where there are alot of hills and it is raining a lot. 

I really like the looks of the msx but, I am afraid it will not survive for long time.

After Watching videos and researching about the 2 wheels, It is seems that the ks18xl is the wheel to go to for me but, the msx is the wheel I want...

What do you guys think? what wheel should I get? 

The KS18XL should win easily in the first 2 categories and I suspect it will win in the 3rd one too. You can also buy a neoprene cover for the KS18XL which protects it from damage and water ingress. That doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to your heart, you could always keep the Solowheel for rainy days.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pavel Karpenko said:

Hi guys, 

I am having a hard time choosing between ks18xl and gw msx 84v. 

My main concerns are:

1. build quality

2. reliability

**Please note:

I live in a place where there are alot of hills and it is raining a lot. 

I really like the looks of the msx but, I am afraid it will not survive for long time.

After Watching videos and researching about the 2 wheels, It is seems that the ks18xl is the wheel to go to for me but, the msx is the wheel I want...

What do you guys think? what wheel should I get? 

I have personally owned both of these wheels and was grotesquely disappointed by the 18XL. Despite it's supposed reputation, mine had multiple, significant issues. 

In contrast, all of my Gotway wheels work flawlessly and have been insanely reliable despite substantial abuse. I own 2 MSXs now that I got rid of the wretched XL. It's not as flashy, but the MSX has the best ride quality of EUCs (sure, my opinion but I've tried many wheels)

There are steps you can take to waterproof the MSX, but it has handled wet weather for myself and other riders for thousands of miles without issue. No wheel is "waterproof" unless you buy a few tubes of silicone and waterpoof tape

The 18XL is barely in the same category

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

I have personally owned both of these wheels and was grotesquely disappointed by the 18XL. Despite it's supposed reputation, mine had multiple, significant issues. 

What were the issues? Did you buy the wheel from new?

34 minutes ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

In contrast, all of my Gotway wheels work flawlessly and have been insanely reliable despite substantial abuse. I own 2 MSXs now that I got rid of the wretched XL. It's not as flashy, but the MSX has the best ride quality of EUCs (sure, my opinion but I've tried many wheels)

There are steps you can take to waterproof the MSX, but it has handled wet weather for myself and other riders for thousands of miles without issue. No wheel is "waterproof" unless you buy a few tubes of silicone and waterpoof tape

The 18XL is barely in the same category

thanks for the reply, you made my choice a bit easier.

• Like 1

Of those two and for your stated purpose I would definitely choose the 18XL as a more sensible option. It’s at its third revision already and been out for a while so should be very reliable. Anecdotes are anecdotes, mine has been serving almost perfectly. It’s more comfortable for commuting and with better range. 

But the MSX is great too and you should follow your heart. If you are a DIY person, you can make it comfortable also. The 18XL is the king of general purpose wheel. A more boring option but it ticks all the boxes. It’s not best is many categories but also almost never worse than second best in any category. MSX is more extreme but then also lacks in some areas pretty badly.

Commuting in rain and reliability are the areas where I would choose the sensible and comfortable option. Speed and extreme off-roading would go for the MSX or now MSP. But it’s not like you cannot use the MSX for these if you like it more. You are comparing the two best options and the differences are very small. The MSX has been very reliable wheel. 

• Like 3

I’ve owned 2 gotways, V3S+ and MSX and both have been great. I’ve ridden my gotways in the PNW weather, rain and snow and it’s been flawless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Of those two and for your stated purpose I would definitely choose the 18XL as a more sensible option. It’s at its third revision already and been out for a while so should be very reliable. Anecdotes are anecdotes, mine has been serving almost perfectly. It’s more comfortable for commuting and with better range. 

But the MSX is great too and you should follow your heart. If you are a DIY person, you can make it comfortable also. The 18XL is the king of general purpose wheel. A more boring option but it ticks all the boxes. It’s not best is many categories but also almost never worse than second best in any category. MSX is more extreme but then also lacks in some areas pretty badly.

Commuting in rain and reliability are the areas where I would choose the sensible and comfortable option. Speed and extreme off-roading would go for the MSX or now MSP. But it’s not like you cannot use the MSX for these if you like it more. You are comparing the two best options and the differences are very small. The MSX has been very reliable wheel. 

Thank you for the reply. I guess you are right, the 18xl has the impression of the best overall wheel and the best commuter wheel and because my main use of it will be commuting and less offroad, it is reasonable to go for the 18xl. something also tells me that I will have more than one wheel anyway so... yea... i guess I will strat with the 18xl :) thanks again. 

I would have started yelling 18XL ...... But, Lets look at this from another angle. We know that your logical brain is telling you to get the XL. It is a great wheel and even as a MSX fan boy I would suggest the XL. Your heart says MSX. ....... We know that you have done your research.  My question is , Are you a forceful rider?  Do you ride into trouble and do your best to recover or do you calculate everything ahead of time?  If you are forceful pick the MSX. Are you a cruiser that likes to get the most out of every small movement? Smarter not harder. Know before you go. Pick the XL 

The MSX is a beast that plows through. The XL is intuitive and works with you. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

I would have started yelling 18XL ...... But, Lets look at this from another angle. We know that your logical brain is telling you to get the XL. It is a great wheel and even as a MSX fan boy I would suggest the XL. Your heart says MSX. ....... We know that you have done your research.  My question is , Are you a forceful rider?  Do you ride into trouble and do your best to recover or do you calculate everything ahead of time?  If you are forceful pick the MSX. Are you a cruiser that likes to get the most out of every small movement? Smarter not harder. Know before you go. Pick the XL 

The MSX is a beast that plows through. The XL is intuitive and works with you. 

Thank you for your reply. Well said, Now i will pick the 18xl for sure, Thank you.

Ok, after hearing what you all said, while the reasonable choice for my needs was the 18xl, I just couldn't give up on the MSX so, I just ordered the 84V 1600W MSX from Ewheels. I hope I will not regret it :) . Thanks everyone for helping me out, I really appreciate it. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 4:53 PM, Beekersguy said:

I just ordered my MSX from ewheels on Thursday!

Keep us posted on your thoughts and experience. I'm curious to know how it works out for you. 

well, the wheel looks and preforms like a high end wheel should. It looks way better in real life compared to photos and YouTube videos. With that being said, my previous wheel was tiny and slow and switching to this wheel feels like switching from a 125cc scootet to a 1200cc BMW GS if you know what i mean.... and to be honest i am literary scared to ride this wheel, it is huge and vert high from the ground, I feel like i am learning to ride all over again, I hope i will be able to tame this beast. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pavel Karpenko said:

well, the wheel looks and preforms like a high end wheel should. It looks way better in real life compared to photos and YouTube videos. With that being said, my previous wheel was tiny and slow and switching to this wheel feels like switching from a 125cc scootet to a 1200cc BMW GS if you know what i mean.... and to be honest i am literary scared to ride this wheel, it is huge and vert high from the ground, I feel like i am learning to ride all over again, I hope i will be able to tame this beast. 

Would love to hear more about how it's going.  I've been in the same position for weeks trying to figure out which one to get as my first (I'm a big guy, so choices are limited).  I like the idea of being able to go fast if I want to, but I like the idea of keeping things safe and smooth.  I have read a lot about people getting up and comfortable on the 18xl even if it is their first wheel.  Been wondering if the MSX would just be a lot to jump into coming from a OneWheel.  Keep us posted!

On 5/23/2020 at 7:41 PM, Pavel Karpenko said:

Привет.

18Xl is pretty powerful too. I'm a heavy guy and it pulls me to some pretty steep hills. The only problem i have with 18xl that it wobbles after 20mph. Maybe i need to check if tire is aligned properly against the rim.... And I can see that I probably would enjoy MSX even more. Bigger wheel, more power.... except that it is probably harder to carry it on a bus. I made decision towards 18XL purely based on ergonomics.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:20 PM, longjohnsally said:

Would love to hear more about how it's going.  I've been in the same position for weeks trying to figure out which one to get as my first (I'm a big guy, so choices are limited).  I like the idea of being able to go fast if I want to, but I like the idea of keeping things safe and smooth.  I have read a lot about people getting up and comfortable on the 18xl even if it is their first wheel.  Been wondering if the MSX would just be a lot to jump into coming from a OneWheel.  Keep us posted!

I have 18XL as my first wheel and I think MSX will work as first wheel as well. As far as i understand you should NOT start from a small wheel because small one is harder to balance on and less stable. And more power actually means more safe (not opposite). As far as speed goes I'm scared of riding faster than 20mph so 18xl will be probably fine for me. If you plan to go fast go for MSX for sure. Just one advice - for the first week ride on a football field (even better if it has synthetic grass), you will save yourself from several bruises and your wheel from several scratches, and after that moving to solid surface will feel like a "relief". 

On 5/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, Pavel Karpenko said:

I was looking at disassembly/repair videos of different wheels. Only inmotion and ninebot make some attempts at waterproofing (hiding controller into a sealed box). But it looks flimsy and connectors used are not automotive grade (not sealed). So you taking a gamble using those wheels in rainy weather. It may not malfunction for several runs in rain if you get lucky not to splash anything on connectors, but eventually moisture is going to eat tin/copper and all components with exposed metal in wires/connectors/PCB components will fail. Though i think manufacturer thinks you will be replacing your wheel with shiny new model by then probably.

Example: I had a LED xmas light strip which failed on a 2-nd year, i disassembled it and all LED legs just rotted away due to moisture. It took them only 3 weeks in total being outside for that to happen.