Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

I am having a hard time choosing between ks18xl and gw msx 84v. 

My main concerns are:

1. build quality

2. reliability

3. commuting in the rain. 

**Please note:

I live in a place where there are alot of hills and it is raining a lot. 

I really like the looks of the msx but, I am afraid it will not survive for long time.

After Watching videos and researching about the 2 wheels, It is seems that the ks18xl is the wheel to go to for me but, the msx is the wheel I want...

What do you guys think? what wheel should I get? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

both great wheels, no matter which you choose you will always want the other one. choose either and you will be happy. or buy both 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The KS18XL should win easily in the first 2 categories and I suspect it will win in the 3rd one too. You can also buy a neoprene cover for the KS18XL which protects it from damage and water ingress. That doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to your heart, you could always keep the Solowheel for rainy days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pavel Karpenko said:

Hi guys, 

I am having a hard time choosing between ks18xl and gw msx 84v. 

My main concerns are:

1. build quality

2. reliability

3. commuting in the rain. 

**Please note:

I live in a place where there are alot of hills and it is raining a lot. 

I really like the looks of the msx but, I am afraid it will not survive for long time.

After Watching videos and researching about the 2 wheels, It is seems that the ks18xl is the wheel to go to for me but, the msx is the wheel I want...

What do you guys think? what wheel should I get? 

I have personally owned both of these wheels and was grotesquely disappointed by the 18XL. Despite it's supposed reputation, mine had multiple, significant issues. 

 

In contrast, all of my Gotway wheels work flawlessly and have been insanely reliable despite substantial abuse. I own 2 MSXs now that I got rid of the wretched XL. It's not as flashy, but the MSX has the best ride quality of EUCs (sure, my opinion but I've tried many wheels)

 

There are steps you can take to waterproof the MSX, but it has handled wet weather for myself and other riders for thousands of miles without issue. No wheel is "waterproof" unless you buy a few tubes of silicone and waterpoof tape

 

The 18XL is barely in the same category

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

I have personally owned both of these wheels and was grotesquely disappointed by the 18XL. Despite it's supposed reputation, mine had multiple, significant issues. 

What were the issues? Did you buy the wheel from new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

I have personally owned both of these wheels and was grotesquely disappointed by the 18XL. Despite it's supposed reputation, mine had multiple, significant issues. 

 

In contrast, all of my Gotway wheels work flawlessly and have been insanely reliable despite substantial abuse. I own 2 MSXs now that I got rid of the wretched XL. It's not as flashy, but the MSX has the best ride quality of EUCs (sure, my opinion but I've tried many wheels)

 

There are steps you can take to waterproof the MSX, but it has handled wet weather for myself and other riders for thousands of miles without issue. No wheel is "waterproof" unless you buy a few tubes of silicone and waterpoof tape

 

The 18XL is barely in the same category

 

thanks for the reply, you made my choice a bit easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of those two and for your stated purpose I would definitely choose the 18XL as a more sensible option. It’s at its third revision already and been out for a while so should be very reliable. Anecdotes are anecdotes, mine has been serving almost perfectly. It’s more comfortable for commuting and with better range. 
 

But the MSX is great too and you should follow your heart. If you are a DIY person, you can make it comfortable also. The 18XL is the king of general purpose wheel. A more boring option but it ticks all the boxes. It’s not best is many categories but also almost never worse than second best in any category. MSX is more extreme but then also lacks in some areas pretty badly.
 

Commuting in rain and reliability are the areas where I would choose the sensible and comfortable option. Speed and extreme off-roading would go for the MSX or now MSP. But it’s not like you cannot use the MSX for these if you like it more. You are comparing the two best options and the differences are very small. The MSX has been very reliable wheel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve owned 2 gotways, V3S+ and MSX and both have been great. I’ve ridden my gotways in the PNW weather, rain and snow and it’s been flawless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Of those two and for your stated purpose I would definitely choose the 18XL as a more sensible option. It’s at its third revision already and been out for a while so should be very reliable. Anecdotes are anecdotes, mine has been serving almost perfectly. It’s more comfortable for commuting and with better range. 
 

But the MSX is great too and you should follow your heart. If you are a DIY person, you can make it comfortable also. The 18XL is the king of general purpose wheel. A more boring option but it ticks all the boxes. It’s not best is many categories but also almost never worse than second best in any category. MSX is more extreme but then also lacks in some areas pretty badly.
 

Commuting in rain and reliability are the areas where I would choose the sensible and comfortable option. Speed and extreme off-roading would go for the MSX or now MSP. But it’s not like you cannot use the MSX for these if you like it more. You are comparing the two best options and the differences are very small. The MSX has been very reliable wheel. 

Thank you for the reply. I guess you are right, the 18xl has the impression of the best overall wheel and the best commuter wheel and because my main use of it will be commuting and less offroad, it is reasonable to go for the 18xl. something also tells me that I will have more than one wheel anyway so... yea... i guess I will strat with the 18xl :) thanks again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F.J. Abaya said:

I’ve owned 2 gotways, V3S+ and MSX and both have been great. I’ve ridden my gotways in the PNW weather, rain and snow and it’s been flawless. 

thank you for your reply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would have started yelling 18XL ...... But, Lets look at this from another angle. We know that your logical brain is telling you to get the XL. It is a great wheel and even as a MSX fan boy I would suggest the XL. Your heart says MSX. ....... We know that you have done your research.  My question is , Are you a forceful rider?  Do you ride into trouble and do your best to recover or do you calculate everything ahead of time?  If you are forceful pick the MSX. Are you a cruiser that likes to get the most out of every small movement? Smarter not harder. Know before you go. Pick the XL 

The MSX is a beast that plows through. The XL is intuitive and works with you. 

Edited by RockyTop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

I would have started yelling 18XL ...... But, Lets look at this from another angle. We know that your logical brain is telling you to get the XL. It is a great wheel and even as a MSX fan boy I would suggest the XL. Your heart says MSX. ....... We know that you have done your research.  My question is , Are you a forceful rider?  Do you ride into trouble and do your best to recover or do you calculate everything ahead of time?  If you are forceful pick the MSX. Are you a cruiser that likes to get the most out of every small movement? Smarter not harder. Know before you go. Pick the XL 

The MSX is a beast that plows through. The XL is intuitive and works with you. 

Thank you for your reply. Well said, Now i will pick the 18xl for sure, Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, after hearing what you all said, while the reasonable choice for my needs was the 18xl, I just couldn't give up on the MSX so, I just ordered the 84V 1600W MSX from Ewheels. I hope I will not regret it :) . Thanks everyone for helping me out, I really appreciate it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ordered my MSX from ewheels on Thursday!

Keep us posted on your thoughts and experience. I'm curious to know how it works out for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 4:53 PM, Beekersguy said:

I just ordered my MSX from ewheels on Thursday!

Keep us posted on your thoughts and experience. I'm curious to know how it works out for you. 

well, the wheel looks and preforms like a high end wheel should. It looks way better in real life compared to photos and YouTube videos. With that being said, my previous wheel was tiny and slow and switching to this wheel feels like switching from a 125cc scootet to a 1200cc BMW GS if you know what i mean.... and to be honest i am literary scared to ride this wheel, it is huge and vert high from the ground, I feel like i am learning to ride all over again, I hope i will be able to tame this beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pavel Karpenko said:

well, the wheel looks and preforms like a high end wheel should. It looks way better in real life compared to photos and YouTube videos. With that being said, my previous wheel was tiny and slow and switching to this wheel feels like switching from a 125cc scootet to a 1200cc BMW GS if you know what i mean.... and to be honest i am literary scared to ride this wheel, it is huge and vert high from the ground, I feel like i am learning to ride all over again, I hope i will be able to tame this beast. 

Would love to hear more about how it's going.  I've been in the same position for weeks trying to figure out which one to get as my first (I'm a big guy, so choices are limited).  I like the idea of being able to go fast if I want to, but I like the idea of keeping things safe and smooth.  I have read a lot about people getting up and comfortable on the 18xl even if it is their first wheel.  Been wondering if the MSX would just be a lot to jump into coming from a OneWheel.  Keep us posted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...