How to fall properly

Alj

10 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Tell Petra I hope she feels better. You too.

Best,

P.S. I could watch her tumble all day.

Will do and yes she is quite a sight! :wub:

She is currently getting her palm x-rayed... looks like the damage was worse than we thought. Hoping for the best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tasku said:

Most of my gear is motocross or motorcycle level.  For the helmet, I could not find as light helmet as Poc Arctic Spin SL. Most motorcycle helmets also block my hearing way more than I want, not the case with this helmet.

And I know this is a long browse for many of us, the helmet. Gear you are not happy with, ends up not used. 

Also I could not fit motorcycle or motocross helmets to my backpack with such ease. Did I mention the air vents that you can toggle? Cold or hot, these air vents rock! The jaw part can be installed with low detach, strong force detach or permanent install. If I remember right this helmet has triple layer protection, with gel. Only thing motocross helmet would have better, would be more material in chin area. This model is bit 2019 model so if anyone want something that comes easy to grab everytime you go out, look on the "-50%" sales cause you find this model out there.

Hopefully someone else finds a helmet, of *any kind on their head. That's my 2 cents of this, and I get it, that one look is not for everyone, but I hope you find yours. 

I've been lurking for this helmet but wasn't too sure given its design purpose, but your fall report made a strong impression so I looked for, found one for 1200 SEK ordered immediately: exactly the "-50%" sale you mentioned.
I'm really appreciative of your review follow-up as well since it addresses my concerns on ventilation and acoustics ^_^

I hope to get better at falling tho, and maybe having a better helmet will help getting less tense.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, Alj said:

Probably borrowing tricks from skateboarders might help  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hundbrub8iQ

... and skaters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLEt3hvHjM

This videos are pretty good and have been described really well how I fell so far in the "DON'T" examples.

Result: broken collarbone once (being stupid and inexperienced on grass), and broken humerus a couple months ago (distracted car driver at a crossing).
So hopefully, in some scenarios, practice might help instinctively sliding or rolling depending on situation, instead of transferring all the forces to a single point of failure.

Both skateboarders and skaters examples seem pretty relevant, yet it feels different? I'm not sure I quite get why.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I hope to get better at falling tho, and maybe having a better helmet will help getting less tense.

I'm going to meet a friend this evening and do an outdoor workout. You are welcome to join. You will feel a bit more confident if you can fall from standing into a push up... although it takes a while to get there we can do many progressions on the way.

One day we can try the Ninebot One E+.. it can be powered off while riding simply by tapping the power button lol. 
Now THAT is exciting!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I'm going to meet a friend this evening and do an outdoor workout. You are welcome to join. You will feel a bit more confident if you can fall from standing into a push up... although it takes a while to get there we can do many progressions on the way.

One day we can try the Ninebot One E+.. it can be powered off while riding simply by tapping the power button lol. 
Now THAT is exciting!

Thanks for the invite @Mike Sacristan, work will keep me indoor until late today and I'm not allowed to do real push-ups yet (hopefully soon), so the practice will need to wait a bit.

About the Ninebot One E+, it sounds a bit risky but maybe worth the shot for practicing on a soft enough surface :D.
Can it be turned off from an app while riding as well? Otherwise the position wouldn't be realistic; bending to reach the power button - unless using a stick or something to press it from standing position.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:26 PM, travsformation said:

let that first knee buckle, lean back and slide on our knees, like Chooch did here:

Chooch here gives a good idea for approaching a fall safely: accelerate not by leaning your upper body thus guaranteeing a direct face slam in case of cut or overlean, but accelerate by protruding your knees and using your lower body only.

This way, when you fall, cause you ARE going to fall, you go knees first on your knee pads and tibial armor. As a result your upper body stays intact.

Very nice idea and video.

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by Aztek
  • Like 3

Had a couple of Superman incidents on the trail last week and just layed out flat.  100% of credits go to training in volleyball when I was in high school; sometimes that sport really forces you to throw your body at the floor.  Reach out, absorb impact and slide on the palms of the wristguards, and try to make sure that the other armored bits are the next thing to make contact.  Tough to plan in 0.25s but gotta train muscle memory.

• Like 1