MCM5 v2 - fits 2.5 inch wide tire without modification

15 hours ago, Camenbert said:

... but the 280Wh 67V I got was really cheap at $496 including delivery and EU taxes.

How do you like the 67V mcm5, 280 seems like a smaller battery but I was surprised how cheap I found that wheel on aliexpress today, Do you find the wheel strong? In stat sheets it has a 900w motor instead of 1500w,  I have been tossing around on a upgrade for my ninebot E+(320wh) and 14" chineese icewheel (260wh) was maybe thinking mten3 420wh but i live in canada so shipping is extra costly from ewheels as well, thanks for your opinions!

I am 1m90 and 92 kg, this wheel is powerful enough, I could climb a steep hill 200m that a bicycle cannot do (or not without big effort).
With the new pedal height of the V2, it goes on grass and pathway as any good wheel I guess.

In these conditions (sand, forest, hills) I consume about 10% battery by kilometer (about, my trips are 3 km for 27-30% battery)
However with the price difference I can buy a bigger battery when required and still save cash. The 67V (35 km.h) is fast enough for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

Saw this on Ali 

US $650.00 | Gotway MCM5 800wh 650wh 84V single wheel scooter one wheel 14 inch electric unicycle balanced unicycle ride
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dW4IobF

says it’s the larger tire plus 2cm higher pedals. 😁

who knows if it’s true tho. 

thats the new standard.. all mcm5s will be that, making different shells for the same model would just complicate things and add to the cost.. not that its not possible to find old stock somewhere but theyre not gonna lie about it

10 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

I paid my deposit a while back, I'm anxious for this one, hope it feels light compared to the MSP..

I have a modded v1 higher with the 2.5" tyre and an 84v MSuperX.  The MCM5 is super light and will be mega twitchy if your coming from an MSP but you can tuck in nicely as the body is curved.  After a little while your then feel the difference.  Easy to get moving with virtually no effort at all and turn it on a dime compared to a larger wheel.  Much more sag as only 3p but tickle it and it'll still do 19mph when low.  Definitely also try different pressures, I run 35psi on the MCM5 as at 45psi it's squirrelly above 20mph.  I made some bits to make the pads curve as they curve the wrong way due to the body shape, you will see what I mean when you get it.  Have fun though just remember when you first get on it's going to turn like crazy compared to the MSP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Delmeekc said:

I have a modded v1 higher with the 2.5" tyre and an 84v MSuperX.  The MCM5 is super light and will be mega twitchy if your coming from an MSP but you can tuck in nicely as the body is curved.  After a little while your then feel the difference.  Easy to get moving with virtually no effort at all and turn it on a dime compared to a larger wheel.  Much more sag as only 3p but tickle it and it'll still do 19mph when low.  Definitely also try different pressures, I run 35psi on the MCM5 as at 45psi it's squirrelly above 20mph.  I made some bits to make the pads curve as they curve the wrong way due to the body shape, you will see what I mean when you get it.  Have fun though just remember when you first get on it's going to turn like crazy compared to the MSP.

Great info, I really  appreciated it!  I'm looking for something  to bridge the gap between my MSP and Mten, truth be told, the MSP is more wheel than I need.

• Like 1

Denis Hagov posted his review of the MCM5 v2 with the 2.5-inch tire.

He seems to believe that there is a new motor tuned for more speed compared to the torquier v1.

His hill tests suggest that the climbing and braking ability has been reduced on the v2,

but the lift speed has increased from 59.1 km/h to 64.8 km/h

<speculation>

My theory is that the motor is the same, but Gotway has adjusted the firmware to account for a larger tire circumference - one revolution will move you further with the 14x2.5-inch tire compared to the original 14x2.125-inch. This firmware adjustment would report a higher lift speed, even though the motor is spinning at the same RPM.

A larger tire will also mean that the motor has to work harder to accelerate at the same rate as a smaller tire - hence the perceived reduction in torque.

</speculation>

While I'd have preferred the same zippiness of the MCM5 v1, I am okay with a slightly less zippy MCM5 v2 that can keep up with any of Kingsong's premiere wheels, yet weighs and costs half! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Asphalt said:

My theory is that the motor is the same, but Gotway has adjusted the firmware to account for a larger tire circumference - one revolution will move you further with the 14x2.5-inch tire compared to the original 14x2.125-inch. This firmware adjustment would report a higher lift speed, even though the motor is spinning at the same RPM.

A larger tire will also mean that the motor has to work harder to accelerate at the same rate as a smaller tire - hence the perceived reduction in torque.

This makes complete sense but denis has a tweaked v1 with a 2.5 tire on it (and higher pedals). So I’m led to believe it is in fact a motor tweak, with firmware adjustments to support the change.

As a more casual rider, I’m hoping it’s an actual increase in top speed. Even 5kph would be warmly welcomed. I don’t like the sound of the juttery stuttering that he describes on hard breaking though...

Can’t wait to get mine from Ewheels!! I have an original mcm5 and it’s my favorite wheel still. Would anyone want to hear a comparison of the v1 vs v2 once I get them? Or is it just like 3 people still interested the new version?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

This makes complete sense but denis has a tweaked v1 with a 2.5 tire on it (and higher pedals). So I’m led to believe it is in fact a motor tweak, with firmware adjustments to support the change.

As a more casual rider, I’m hoping it’s an actual increase in top speed. Even 5kph would be warmly welcomed. I don’t like the sound of the juttery stuttering that he describes on hard breaking though...

Can’t wait to get mine from Ewheels!! I have an original mcm5 and it’s my favorite wheel still. Would anyone want to hear a comparison of the v1 vs v2 once I get them? Or is it just like 3 people still interested the new version?

I've pre-ordered the v2 and would certainly like to hear any comparisons between them!  What attracted me to the v2 was the torque, I'm now reconsidering:(

Edited by RetroThruster

17 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Good point about the comparison with the modded v1.
I wonder why Gotway would go to the trouble of changing the motor when there haven't been many complaints about it?
Perhaps they thought the torque was overkill and thought they could provide more headroom on the high end?

It's interesting that Gotway seems to be adjusting their wheels to be more balanced - in the process reducing what makes them stand out:
MSX (known for speed) -> MSP : reduces speed for more torque
MCM5 v1(known for torque) >- MCM5 v2 reduces torque for more speed

I hope EcoDrift does a follow-up teardown blog post were they open up the motor to check the windings, however, its unlikely since they already did a teardown on an early variant v2 with a 2.125-inch tire. On that wheel, it appeared to be the same motor as the v1 with 35mm magnets.

https://ecodrift.ru/2020/05/10/gotway-mcm5-v2-razbiraem-67v-280vtch-versiyu/

18 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Would anyone want to hear a comparison of the v1 vs v2 once I get them? Or is it just like 3 people still interested the new version?

I'd love to see a comparison - particularly the how the new ride dynamics feel with the shorter pedal arm length. All the reviews so far say it's "different", but what I really want to know is how it affects stability and turning at different speeds.

36 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

I'd love to see a comparison - particularly the how the new ride dynamics feel with the shorter pedal arm length. All the reviews so far say it's "different", but what I really want to know is how it affects stability and turning at different speeds.

I can let you know. They say it'll ship out early next week so expect a reply later next week. Typically, the higher the pedals are, the more easily it'll turn in. Think of a push broom. If you're holding the brushes, it's really easy to balance it on one hand. Not so easy if you have the broom upside down. 

So the lower the pedals, the more stable the wheel will be. But the more you will scrape them too. I'm hoping that the wider tire mitigates the inherent instability that higher pedals will bring. 

Is the mcm5 v2 rain proof? Are the big vents just cosmetics or do they actually do something? Sorry for the noob questions but my old ninebot c+ never had any issues with rain/water but reading here I see several wheels (Ks16x, GW Tesla) that has had problems with waterproofing.

On 8/14/2020 at 12:28 AM, Denny Paul said:

So I got a chance to try out the differences tonight. 

It noticeably feels taller when you first stand on. The added height would normally reduce stability, but the meaty tire on there more than makes up for it. The previous version of the wheel turns in so readily that it really feels more like it kind of flops over, whereas the v2 feels like a more controlled, gradual/gradient transition into a turn. Additionally, you can make adjustments during the turn easier, and I found this to be true at both fast and slow speeds. Everything about turns is really more predictable than the previous version. Comparatively, it almost feels as if the tire profile of the v1 was more triangle shaped, and the v2 is nice and round.

MY DUDES, the pedal clearance is really the saving grace this wheel needed. I no longer have pedal scraping worries. The v2 wheel has the ability to turn in the width of a sidewalk easily just by tilting it, and without having to really on tricks, ie: spinning the wheel like a coin. Its turning radius is surprisingly small.

Bought my v2 from ewheels. I can confirm that the 5 alarm beep (the supposed 80% gotway alarm that you can't turn off) rang for me at 28.5mph. I was at 84% battery according to darknessbot. This is 2 mph faster than the fastest alarm of the v1 version. It isn't faster by much, but it's nice to have just an eek bit more of course.

Also, I dunno why, but you can see in the photos that it came with Nikola pedals (I think). They're bigger than the ACM pedals that came with my v1. Love the pedals and I love ewheels, who is likely responsible for the upgrade.

Pro-tip: make use of the hodgepodge shell handle not being cut out by stuffing a drawstring backpack in the handle. I love drawstring backpacks with EUCs cause holding a grocery bag in one hand throws off your balance in a few ways (uneven wind resistance on the bag itself is a real factor). Stuff a backpack in the handle to always have a backpack handy, and make the cut-off button under the handler easier to hold down. 2 birds, 1 stone. 

Also, you need a pad, any pad, for this wheel. For the key times when you want to clamp down, like during hard braking, the shell is too slick to get any grip or stability. I found this to be my preferred pads for this wheel. While I’d like more leverage by having higher pads, I like having the narrowest possible profile more. 

Hope this helps! The the first version of the mcm5 was the undisputed champion of 14" wheels. With the improvements made, the gap just Gotway bigger!

IMG_1858.jpg

Did you notice a difference in torque/acceleration between it and the v1 that had been mentioned earlier?

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Did you notice a difference in torque/acceleration between it and the v1 that had been mentioned earlier?

Yeah actually. I know what the Russian guy is referring to, it does seem there’s a bit a hardware tweak. At low speeds the motor has a bit of a whine and vibration. I was using the hard pedal mode. You can make the pedals dip slightly easier on the v2 than the v1. But to do so, you have to wrench on it with your body weight. I imagine that means there may be a theoretical reduction in acceleration or torque, but whether that’s actually going to be perceptible is up to how the wheel is used. I’d guess that nearly all city riders won’t notice the acceleration difference, maybe hill climbers or off-roaders would, but that’s not my thing.

I consider myself a spirited rider. Not extreme adrenaline junkie crazy, but not exactly what I imagine is the average, more mild user either, if that helps.

• Like 1

Just now, Delmeekc said:

What comes in the kit and will these be for sale.

don't know if it will be avaible, to fully upgrade you need:

inner shells (left+right)
pillars
inner tube + tire
lampshade (front+rear)
BT speaker module + speaker (optional)

• Like 1