MCM5 v2 - fits 2.5 inch wide tire without modification

• meepmeepmayer changed the title to MCM5 v2 - fits 2.5 inch wide tire without modification

Ooh I would love if just the hangers were available for purchase. Give me a lot of peace of mind going over bumps. 

I recently bought a mcm5 off of aliexpress claiming it was the 2020 version. I noticed the trolley seems taller, and the pedals were black. But I just confirmed based on the photos that I didn’t seem to get the higher set pedal hangers sadly. 

• Like 2

Looks very familiar/similar to what I did, raising the body. Have they addressed the width too as a 2.5" tyre needs trimming to fit and a small amount removed from the sides of the top transparent covers where the side of the tyre pass it front and back.

You'd think gotway would send me a free Euc for all the R&D.

Edited by Delmeekc
Edit words

4 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Ooh I would love if just the hangers were available for purchase.

A good dealer (ewheels, maybe euco) should be able to order some. Never hurts to ask and make your interest known.

Or you might just find them on Ali soon, who knows.

Nice! I'll definitely be looking into picking up a pair of these hangers for my MCM5, and maybe even a 2.5 tire. Do we have confirmation on whether or not you would still have to shave down the tire to get it to fit? I'd prefer not to have to sand the body if possible, in case GW comes out with a magical new MCM6 sometime, or that rumored tesla successor that we have yet to see, in which case I may sell mine and upgrade.

Looking at the photos on the ecodrift link the panels look the same tbh.  On mine and others mod posts for the fitting of the tyre I'm sure someone suggested a 2.5 tyre that was slightly narrower but never checked or followed it up, have a dig through.  After I trimmed the side tread on the tyre I still had to take a small section of the top covers but only where the widest part of the tyre passes. Only took off the return edge in 4 places.

Just dug out my old photos from my mod, they have done massive changes to the mounting holes and axle location on the inner cases so I doubt the hangers would fit at all.  The axle was below the top two fixing screws but it now below the top four fixing screws.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Nice! I'll definitely be looking into picking up a pair of these hangers for my MCM5, and maybe even a 2.5 tire. Do we have confirmation on whether or not you would still have to shave down the tire to get it to fit?

I'm taking all info from the EcoDrift article where details might be lost in machine translation or they are not sure themselves. It sounds like a 2.5 inch tire just fits, and it sounds like you could just exchange the old hangers with the new ones. Maybe neither is true?

5 hours ago, Delmeekc said:

Just dug out my old photos from my mod, they have done massive changes to the mounting holes and axle location on the inner cases so I doubt the hangers would fit at all.  The axle was below the top two fixing screws but it now below the top four fixing screws.

Good info! In doubt I'd trust you with first hand info.

So if the new hangers don't fit the old shell, replacing the old shhell with the new shell might still work, right?

Hmm, and upon further inspection it does look like the new shell has been widened to allow for that larger tire. I'll still probably order a set of hangers though, worst case I'll just have to Dremel away a small bit of the shell where the axle nuts are, and epoxy old holes/drill new ones. I guess this is the upgrade I would have been waiting for, but I don't really think the difference is big enough to go through the hassle (and $$ loss) of selling and buying a new one.

• Like 2

Sad to hear that the parts are not compatible with the original version. 

I guess I’ll be happy with what I have for now. Honestly I think the complaints that the pedals are too low are overall true, but overblown. I have yet to scrap them on a bigger sweeping turn, only have scraped with low speed maneuvering, which I can avoid by changing my technique. Also the complaint that the front plastic scraping seems to be a non-issue for me too, even over sizable dips. I think as long as you keep the tire pressure high and expectations realistic you’ll be happy. The stability of the lower pedals could even be an overall advantage right?

...Still would be nice to have that piece of mind of never hitting crap tho. Ohwellohwell 

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Hmm, and upon further inspection it does look like the new shell has been widened to allow for that larger tire. I'll still probably order a set of hangers though, worst case I'll just have to Dremel away a small bit of the shell where the axle nuts are, and epoxy old holes/drill new ones. I guess this is the upgrade I would have been waiting for, but I don't really think the difference is big enough to go through the hassle (and $$ loss) of selling and buying a new one.

Even with V2 L-coloum, you would have to do what Delmeekc did to fit the V1 housing. There is one that would fit V1 housing but his price is almost double of Gotway :o

Spoiler

425097818_sidebysidecompare.jpg.b70b0b0048c189b3b4981cd4f7e1282e.jpg

Side by side comparison of V2 L-column with V1 housing

9 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Sad to hear that the parts are not compatible with the original version. 

I guess I’ll be happy with what I have for now. Honestly I think the complaints that the pedals are too low are overall true, but overblown. I have yet to scrap them on a bigger sweeping turn, only have scraped with low speed maneuvering, which I can avoid by changing my technique. Also the complaint that the front plastic scraping seems to be a non-issue for me too, even over sizable dips. I think as long as you keep the tire pressure high and expectations realistic you’ll be happy. The stability of the lower pedals could even be an overall advantage right?

...Still would be nice to have that piece of mind of never hitting crap tho. Ohwellohwell 

Its not so much on the pedal but the back housing scrapping, try riding it on trails & you'll know what i mean, even with a 2.5" tyre. What good of a 'Mountain Climber Wheel' if its scrapping while going up or down on trails. May be a raise coloum with raise housing will solve this problem of trails riding. Overall, i just can't believe that Gotway spend the money on a brand new V2 housing mould & L-coloum just to raise the pedal height to 20mm <_< They could have just design the L-coloum like the guy above then V1 users would benefit too & rest of the money for R&D or new mould for the 100V MCM6. :lol:

As for pedal/ coloum height stability, i don't think it really matters as i've seen really high pedal/ L-coloum, i donno ^_^

Spoiler

1079497473_Screenshotfrom2020-05-1719-27-40.thumb.png.d4ed46514cd84b315347c0dab03a78e1.png

Screen capture on Marty Backe's mten3

Edited by yuweng
typo

Nice upgrade but still shows how Gotway just doesn't get where they should be placing priorities to be market competitive outside of the 100v category.

What they really need is an entry-level/last-mile 16" wheel for 1000-1100 USD. Instead they're bothering upgrading a 14" wheel that costs 1350 USD. (Most people who would consider a 14" wheel aren't going to spend that much, and most people who are going to spend that much don't want 14" wheels.)

Who in their right mind is spending 1350 USD for a 14" MCM5 when you can get a 16", 1800W V10 (with only 50Wh less battery) for 1100 USD/250 USD less? (What do you get for the extra $250/that's worth a staggering $250 delta?)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

It was probably quite easy to do, you can see where they filled in the original axle hole, new hangers and done. Not seen any photos of the transparent covers yet but again easy to adapt the original I guess. Looks higher than mine, maybe raised it double what I did by the looks of the axle position.  Not had a scrape at all (body or foot pedals) and we've been on motorcycle trails with deep tyre holes and also lots of gravel and rocks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 6:53 AM, Asphalt said:

Apart from EcoDrift, does anyone know a dealer that sells the MCM5 v2?

AliExpress is specification wasteland and the usually reputable dealers are still selling the v1.

I know ewheels will normally answer email questions about which revision(s) they currently have and are shipping (even when they're minor revisions that don't show up in the naming or specs)--and probably some others would too (like speedyfeet probably would), you just have to ask/it doesn't hurt to try asking.

• Like 1