SamSuffit

POLL: Speed and Protection equipement

POLL: Speed and Protection equipement  

75 members have voted

1. 1. On an ideal road, at what speed do you usually cruise?

• Max 25kmh (15.5mph) (slowly but surely)
    • Max 35kmh (22mph)
    • Max 45kmh (28mph)
    • Max 50kmh (31mph)
    • More than 50kmh (31mph) (Official speed demon)
  2. 2. On an ideal road, what was your maximum speed?

• Max 25kmh (15.5mph) (slowly but surely)
    • Max 35kmh (22mph)
    • Max 45kmh (28mph)
    • Max 50kmh (31mph)
    • More than 50kmh (31mph) (Official speed demon)
  3. 3. Do you usually use protection equipment?

• Yes, heavy equipment all the time (even in the shower)
    • Yes, heavy equipment very often
    • Medium equipment for me
    • Light protection is enough
    • Protection equipment? NO, let me be free!
  4. 4. What do you think should be the maximum speed for EUC?

• Max 25kmh (15.5mph) (As very often in the current European Laws)
    • Max 35kmh (22mph)
    • Max 45kmh (28mph)
    • Max 50kmh (31mph)
    • More than 50kmh (31mph) Freedom!
  5. 5. How long have you been riding EUC?

• less than 6 months
    • Less than a year
    • Less than 3 years
    • I was one of the first

Posted (edited)

Dear all,

As we are limited in the number of questions, we cannot ask many questions in just one poll. And the 2 previous polls did not tackle speed & protection, I decided to add this one.
It is always interesting to get to know better EUC community habits. :smartass:

For the previous other 2 polls (types of usage, off-road questions), please find them below:

Edited by SamSuffit

5 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I was a bit unsure what the difference was between light and medium protection?

It is up to you. No strict definition

To me:

Heavy: Full helmet, Motorcycle jacket, good shoes, gloves + knee pad.

medium: half Helmet + gloves + knee pad.  Or something like that

light: just gloves/helmet

Posted (edited)

Nice poll glossary you've created here @SamSuffit! I'll link it in the off-roading poll to give it more visibility [I just notcied you were way ahead of me!] the more people take these the more representative sample we'll get.

If we can get @Marty Backe to make an appearance and short comment (in this poll and the others) I'm sure half the forum will haven taken them in a matter of hours ;)

Edited by travsformation

Great poll. Although the possible answers aren't ideal, it's enlightening, particularly concerning the speed.

People like fast :w00t2:

For question 4, I think it makes more sense to put the speed limit on the trail, path, or road not the EUC.  In other words, I know some bike paths have a (15 mi/hr??) speed limit but that doesn't mean the EUC should be factory limited if I need to keep up with traffic on a 30 mi/hr road.  

On 5/14/2020 at 3:20 AM, Marty Backe said:

Great poll. Although the possible answers aren't ideal, it's enlightening, particularly concerning the speed.

People like fast :w00t2:

Thanks! :) For speed categories, i want to limit the choice as usual to make it easy to answer, but i guess there is a strong European bias:

• 25kmh (15.5mph) is a usual speed limit for EUC and electric bikes
  • 35 kmh (22mph) sits in the middle of the 2 categories
  • 45kmh (28mph) is a usual speed limit for moped and speedbikes,
  • 50kmh  (31mph) is a usual speed limit for streets inside cities. In addition, only Gotway wheels can go faster currently

So as you can see, the categories are not totally random. And I don't know US regulations, which seems to be even more complicated due to the states level.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:40 AM, Nachos said:

For question 4, I think it makes more sense to put the speed limit on the trail, path, or road not the EUC.  In other words, I know some bike paths have a (15 mi/hr??) speed limit but that doesn't mean the EUC should be factory limited if I need to keep up with traffic on a 30 mi/hr road.  

I agree with you (as the vast majority of answers in the poll). However politicians in Europe do not have the same vision. I just wanted to check what was the opinion here. Concerning the limit per road, each poll is limited to 5 questions, so I cannot ask more in this poll. And with 3 recent polls, I don't really want to annoy people with additional polls for the moment. And the subject is so specific that I am not sure that many people would answer it.

18 hours ago, SamSuffit said:

Thanks! :) For speed categories, i want to limit the choice as usual to make it easy to answer, but i guess there is a strong European bias:

• 25kmh (15.5mph) is a usual speed limit for EUC and electric bikes
  • 35 kmh (22mph) sits in the middle of the 2 categories
  • 45kmh (28mph) is a usual speed limit for moped and speedbikes,
  • 50kmh  (31mph) is a usual speed limit for streets inside cities. In addition, only Gotway wheels can go faster currently

So as you can see, the categories are not totally random. And I don't know US regulations, which seems to be even more complicated due to the states level.

I agree with you (as the vast majority of answers in the poll). However politicians in Europe do not have the same vision. I just wanted to check what was the opinion here. Concerning the limit per road, each poll is limited to 5 questions, so I cannot ask more in this poll. And with 3 recent polls, I don't really want to annoy people with additional polls for the moment. And the subject is so specific that I am not sure that many people would answer it.

Yeah, I wasn't criticizing your poll.  I think the 5th option for no speed limit reflects my opinion.  I can't imagine buying a device limited to only 15 mph when I can easily pedal my bicycle faster without breaking a sweat! 

Posted (edited)

I finally went on a trip and took my wheel. First time riding around a small town and I am even MORE convinced that a higher top speed available (28mph on mine), is a useful tool. Speed limit for the main drag in town was 35mph, so most of the cars were at 40-42mph. It was lighter traffic, but NOT being able to keep up was endangering me. Even when I waited for clear open road to travel, it wouldnt be long before a car would catch up and overtake me. My average speed in the city was very low, but at times, 40-45mph would have been a benefit. In most towns, its either using sidewalk (if its even around) or using the streets. Bike paths/lanes are not as common as people seem to think. Sidewalks are rare, and useable sidewalks, even more so. Most times the street seemed a safer bet for myself AND pedestrians, tho  having someone run me over was a constant worry. End result... 28mph on the street and at times having to dive into a parking lot or onto sidewalks at speed to NOT get run over. Both options are far worse than allowing me another 10mph. Jeans and a t-shirt on the street at tiltback.... nuthin' finer cept maybe the 80's with a bicycle as a teen! Hooray for lack of legislation and local knowledge of the euc in America! btw.. usual city speed limits in USA towns is 35-45mph (56-72kmh) unless posted otherwise. Anything under 50mph is not fast in my book. If my legs can pedal it on a typical bicycle, it aint fast. Dangerous....of course. Fast, not even!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Agreed with @ShanesPlanet on the speed. Every passing car is a danger, it is IMO much safer to keep with the flow when possible.

In France our brilliant gouvernement found that PEVs should be limited to 25km/h when cities are mostly limited to 30km/h for cars. Great insight.

25 km/hr is slower than I can ride my bike!

Spoiler