Accident Forensics

Well, I was back out in the temple parking lot practicing turns this morning. Actually I was carving and my pedals were scraping the asphalt, I was riding my ks 18XL with large pedals.  Carving is turning but I should have been practicing turning with shoulders and hip/body follow through not scraping my pedals. My pedal caught and down I went. I knew something was wrong as soon as I began to get up. The middle finger of my left hand was bent in a very strange position and it was gashed on the palm side, it had been dislocated. What went wrong? I was practicing turning by carving and the fact that I was scraping my pedals was the sign that I was doing something wrong. I wasn’t at the carving stage but didn’t know that and I didn’t know the limitations of my wheel. I also believe that my Flexmeter wrist guards were too far forward. They protected my wrists but my fingers were bent back against the wrist guards. My wrists guards might have been as far forward as my knuckles which would have stopped my fingers from bending back normally, instead they bent against the most forward part of the wrist guard. I sure wish I would have had an experienced rider with me to give me some pointers, but I didn’t. Safety is my responsibility. Somehow I missed that aspect of riding. I’m also pretty sure that I didn’t have my wrist guards on properly. I’ve skied and paraglide for years without any major mishaps, but that was then and this is now. Today’s mishap gave me time to pause, think and regroup. I’ll do better next time, man I’m addicted to this euc thing. Suck it up and move on. Does anyone have some insights into wrist guards? I’m thinking that there are parallels here with ski boots. When I was a kid ski boots only went just above the ankles and people were breaking a lot of ankles. Then ski manufacturers started making ski boots well above the ankle in order to protect the ankle and then people were having above the ankle leg breaks. Protective equipment is important and does prevent injuries but there are limits on their effectiveness. My accident was my mistake. Move on.

Edited by John Montpetit
Spelling error

2 hours ago, John Montpetit said:

Does anyone have some insights into wrist guards?

Imho wristguards are not meant to protect the fingers - in contrary they (or many/most of them) introduce a ?ledge? to break the fingers...:(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Montpetit said:

Well, I was back out in the temple parking lot practicing turns this morning.  My accident was my mistake. Move on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ennui+blvd+gloves&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjz-6DH863pAhUF8hoKHVxZD7YQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=ennui+blvd+gloves&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDDoECAAQGFCI6xVY0vYVYJiDFmgAcAB4AIABbIgB4QSSAQM1LjKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=vl26XvOkD4Xka9yyvbAL&safe=off

https://www.powerslide.cz/cs/zapesti/32119-rukavice-ennui-blvd-4040333349779.html

Ennui BLVD is amazing product for EUC. 

I can recommended all falls i have no  damage to my hands. You can easy remove sliders  and eat burger go shopping etc.

Wrist is good protected dont worry be careful and 3 times measure you hand before buy and use manufacturer table if is you hand  M/L/XL.

Here is reinforced alternative is more armor not that practical. 

Ennui Urban 

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Ennui+Urban+gloves&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjc3ob19K3pAhUDHBoKHbAhC7MQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=+Ennui+Urban+gloves&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDDIGCAAQCBAeOgQIABATUKi3Lljz9i5gzv8uaABwAHgAgAGNAYgB3gaSAQM3LjKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=Kl-6XtyhLIO4aLDDrJgL&safe=off

Edited by DjPanJan
edit text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Imho wristguards are not meant to protect the fingers - in contrary they (or many/most of them) introduce a ?ledge? to break the fingers...:(

Yeah, my fingers definitely bent back against that “ledge”.

24 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

I wear leather gloves under my flexmeters to give a bit of protection but u can still break and dislocate with that!

I forgot to mention that I had gloves on.

• 6 months later...