Best around $1k

I'm personally 6' and 190lb/95kg, so I was looking at 1500Wh plus motor for my first EUC and mainly for riding off road and for pleasure. 

When I looked at the Inmotion v8, it wasn't recommended for my weight class, so I was looking at Inmotion v10 from the pinned chart and not v10F since v10F was creeping to 1500 and it seems more

better off to creep to $2k and get the newer stuff.

Looking for more advice/recommendations on how to proceed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nopineapple said:

I'm personally 6' and 190lb/95kg, so I was looking at 1500Wh plus motor for my first EUC and mainly for riding off road and for pleasure. 

When I looked at the Inmotion v8, it wasn't recommended for my weight class, so I was looking at Inmotion v10 from the pinned chart and not v10F since v10F was creeping to 1500 and it seems more

Looking for more advice/recommendations on how to proceed.

I’m about same dimensions as you, and currently learning on a Ninebot one e+ And just bought a slightly used v8f, which I will hopefully receive sometime next week. I got the v8f because I wanted to spend no more then $800 on a midrange wheel and it was right for me. But from all the research that I have done so far (and I’ve been obsessing over this for about 4 weeks straight), I think  v10 would be perfect for someone 5’11”-6’, 180-190lb. 

• Like 2

A v8 is indeed a bit weak for that type of weight /budget, you could look at the V10, or the Tesla or KS16S (more urban though), or maybe a second hand MSX or KS18L. 1000$ is a bit tight if you want to do some off-road with your weight (requires power + large tyre). I'd suggest a second hand 18" wheel is you need to stay within budget, else a new MSX/MSP has a good bang for the bucks ratio if you can stretch that far.

Edited by null

I had the v10 and it was a great wheel, but progression got me to sell it for a ks18xl. I weigh ~150lbs and I got about 20-25 miles on a full charge riding pavement only. You might get less range with offroading and your weight. Something to consider. 

10 hours ago, null said:

A v8 is indeed a bit weak for that type of weight /budget, you could look at the V10, or the Tesla or KS16S (more urban though), or maybe a second hand MSX or KS18L. 1000$ is a bit tight if you want to do some off-road with your weight (requires power + large tyre). I'd suggest a second hand 18" wheel is you need to stay within budget, else a new MSX/MSP has a good bang for the bucks ratio if you can stretch that far.

In the $2k category, would you say MSP 2500W? 2000w?  or something like KSs18 would be a better for off road?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nopineapple said:

In the $2k category, would you say MSP 2500W? 2000w?  or something like KSs18 would be a better for off road?

For offroad, I'd say the 2500W MSP would be the best choice of those 3 options because of the torque. The S18 has the benefit of comfort, but won't have as much torque (remember this is speculation, in the absence of reviews, but it's been said it doesn't have too much torque), and the 2000W MSP...I'm actually not too clear about how it differs from an MSX so I can't comment

Yes MSP should be very good for off-road if you can manage to stretch that far. It’s basically the large wheel with most torque. MSX ought to be enough but with less torque. The suspended wheels are both very new, could take time to release and risk first generation issues. Also, as pointed out by travsformation, the S18 will probably not have the greatest torque, and also a bit limited range.

Edit: MSP is 2500W except custom versions for greater speed. The main approach seems to have been power delivery for torque,  some preferred using that power for speed with a lower Watt motor.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:57 AM, nopineapple said:

Yes!

10 hours ago, travsformation said:

For offroad, I'd say the 2500W MSP would be the best choice of those 3 options

Yes! Wide tire, a lot of oomph, big battery, what's not to like about the MSP!

(The 2500W MSP is the actual MSP. The 2000W one is a semi-official mod.)

• Like 1

The MSP and MSX are both great wheels but are they recommended for a beginner?  They are both very fast wheels which is fine if you're experienced and that's what you're into but might be dangerous otherwise.  The both have quite aggressive pedal angles which certainly don't suit all. They also have quite weak cases which might not be best if you're going to be learning. Why not look for a 2nd hand V10F - if you later decide you can cope with more power then you can always sell it and not lose too much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes! Wide tire, a lot of oomph, big battery, what's not to like about the MSP!

Amen! It's hard to justify purchasing an MSP having a 16X (torque) and an 18XL (18", good all-rounder), but if the MSP had been available back when I bought the 18XL, I'd now own a GW instead! :D

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

(The 2500W MSP is the actual MSP. The 2000W one is a semi-official mod.)

Thanks for the clarification! 

Apart from the tangent discussion about more expensive wheels/back to the original question, I would agree with those saying the V10 (non-F) is the best wheel around $1k for someone your size.

There are lots of good options in the $1500-2000 range, but anywhere close to $1k and the V10 is a pretty clear winner.

Edited by AtlasP

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Apart from the tangent discussion about more expensive wheels and back to the original question, I would agree with those saying the V10 is the best wheel around $1k for someone your size

Thanks for your input and everyone else for sharing their wealth of knowledge. I think I'm gonna scout the used market for a bit to see if I can scope out a V10 or a Tesla v2. 

• Like 1

I don’t remember the exact price, but a friend of mine was considering an amazing offer he found on a ~1500Wh Tesla v2 mod. I think it was cheaper than the V10F is in most places. The seller was a store at AliExpress.

V10(F) is a lot more comfortable out of the box, but if the battery size of the V10F feels iffy, the Tesla is easily the highest capacity you can get in the price range.

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I don’t remember the exact price, but a friend of mine was considering an amazing offer he found on a ~1500Wh Tesla v2 mod. I think it was cheaper than the V10F is in most places. The seller was a store at AliExpress.

V10(F) is a lot more comfortable out of the box, but if the battery size of the V10F feels iffy, the Tesla is easily the highest capacity you can get in the price range.

In the US right now the V10 (non-F) with the secretly upgraded, 750Wh batteries is 1099 USD; by contrast the Tesla is 1450 USD.

The Tesla may be a competitor to the V10F, but it's in a completely different price category than the V10.

• Like 1