E-scooters to be 'fast-tracked' (UK)

Nic

Great news for those of us in the UK ...:clap3:

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/e-scooters-to-be-fast-tracked-as-britons-are-urged-not-to-overwhelm-public-transport-2848021

E-scooters to be 'fast-tracked' as Britons are urged not to overwhelm public transport

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps announced £2 billion investment in green travel. The Government is to invest £2 billion in green travel solutions including e-scooters, as it emerges there will be room for just one in 10 passengers on public transport.  Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, who announced the package at the Government’s daily press briefing, said preventing overcrowding on public transport is of utmost importance.  He warned that if public transport were to be returned at full capacity, the two-metre social distancing rules mean they could only carry one in 10 passengers on some services.  Mr Shapps said that the commute to work is likely to be very different after lockdown, adding that it presents an “enormous logistical challenge” as well as a “health opportunity”. The MP also described it as a ‘once in a generation change to the way people travel in Britain’, adding that doctors will even be able to prescribe cycling to get us fitter.

Cycling “at the heart of transport policy”
The package will “put cycling and walking at the heart of our transport policy” and a national cycling plan is to be published in early June. The Government has committed to doubling cycle lanes and increasing walking by 2025.  Mr Shapps said: “Whilst it’s crucial that we stay at home, when the country does get back to work we need to ask those people to carry on cycling or walking and for them to be joined by many others as well.”  He added: “The first stage, worth £250m, is a series of swift emergency inventions to make cycling and walking safer.  “[Things like] pop up bike lanes, wider pavements, cycle and bus-only streets are all examples of what people will start to see more of.  "Accompanying the new money we are today publishing fast-track statutory guidance, effective immediately, requiring councils in England to cater for significant increase numbers of cyclists and pedestrians and making it easier for them to create safer streets.”  They will work with employers to encourage up take on Cycle to Work scheme, which saves employees money off a bike, and introduce a voucher programme for repairs and up-keep.  He praised those who have taken up cycling during lockdown, confirming that there has been an increase of 70 per cent in the numbers of bikes on the streets in some areas.

Transport “revolution”
Mr Shapps also revealed plans to bring forward electric scooter trials in a bid to change the UK’s public transport landscape.  Currently, e-scooters – which can travel at up to 15.5 mph – are banned on roads and pavements in the UK.  A consultation into their legalisation was launched in March.  He said: “Today Im also fast-tracking trials of e-scooters. I’m bringing this programme, already underway, from next year to next month.  "I’m extending those trips from four local authorities to every region of the country that wants them in a bid to get e-scooter rental schemes up and running in cities as fast as possible.  “Helping reduce car use on shorter journeys and taking some of the pressure off the busses at this time. These trials will help us assess the safety benefits as well as the impact on public spaces”.  There will also be the introduction of apps to give people urgent access to real-time transport information, including which parts of the transport network are overcrowded. As well as this, Mr Shapps announced an additional £10 million for electric car ports to see the clean “revolution” going.  He added: “The car will remain a mainstay for many families.  As well as backing the electric infrastructure, therefore we are also going to accelerate the filing of pot-hols that plagues so many road users.”  Mr Shapps also announced an additional 346 deaths, taking Britain’s total to 31,587.

We are trying to find out what is actually involved and how this will work for EUC's but fingers crossed, its a very good sign. I cannot understand why the Govt here seemingly cannot see further than dockless hire escooters  :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nute said:

We are trying to find out what is actually involved and how this will work for EUC's but fingers crossed, its a very good sign. I cannot understand why the Govt here seemingly cannot see further than dockless hire escooters  :(

I suspect this is just wording that everyone can understand. The laws need to be changed and I am pretty sure it will include all of these personal electric vehicles and not just e-scooters, though I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I would be amazed if they allow eucs. And if they did it would have a 15.5mph max limit put on it.

I think the wording will be made very clear, and I suspect it will be scooters only (2 inline wheels) and a wattage limit.

Its still excellent news though, as far more bobbies will turn a blind eye to eucs, and if they dont it will prob be no more than a warning rather than the points on your licence etc that some poor sods have recieved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I would be amazed if they allow eucs. And if they did it would have a 15.5mph max limit put on it.

I think the wording will be made very clear, and I suspect it will be scooters only (2 inline wheels) and a wattage limit.

Its still excellent news though, as far more bobbies will turn a blind eye to eucs, and if they dont it will prob be no more than a warning rather than the points on your licence etc that some poor sods have recieved.

It might be that its just rental scooters during the 'trials', then if everything goes well they will open it up to other PLEVs. This is the future of mobility and these people can't see it. Its been dragging along for far too long already. I hope they surprise us as the law will need to be changed and hopefully it will be broad enough to cover all forms of PLEV.

Edited by Nic

I wouldn't expect too much, especially regarding EUCs, but it's probably better than nothing to have an acceptance of the existence or PEVs.

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

Are EUC's not allowed in the UK?  If not, I must ask why???  Probably preaching to the choir but EUCs are a quiet, non-polluting form of personal transportation that takes no parking.  They are superior to the car for getting around town.  I can't think of a single reason why they wouldn't be allowed? 

• Like 1

Is there an exact wording of the new laws they're planning to implement?
I'd love to read them to see if there isn't anything absurd (like mechanical brakes or handlebars...). <_<

I'm not a fan of fast-tracking - laws voted in in a hurry are usually absurd and full of bugs, loopholes and other ridiculousness.

####################

We've done it in Poland last year - thankfully during public consultations enough people mailed in their comments and my MSX is still legal. :)

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nachos said:

Are EUC's not allowed in the UK?  If not, I must ask why???  Probably preaching to the choir but EUCs are a quiet, non-polluting form of personal transportation that takes no parking.  They are superior to the car for getting around town.  I can't think of a single reason why they wouldn't be allowed? 

One word: Danger.

Our government is paranoid about people getting hurt. Yes I could argue the toss about this all day but it is what it is.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:29 PM, Planemo said:

One word: Danger.

Our government is paranoid about people getting hurt. Yes I could argue the toss about this all day but it is what it is.

I'd reformulate it a little to "Our government is paranoid about [ being held responsible for ] people getting hurt". Tons of people get killed by cars every single day, they won't do much about that (if anything replacing cars with EUCs would help) - but- you can't blame them personally for it.

edit: to be a step more disillusioned I’d say they just rather not do their job of serving the people, preferring accepting ready made lobby packages and preparing for the next vote.

edit: bingo some scooter share presented them with a package.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

There have been quite a few people trying to put as much pressure on the govt as possible to include all types of micro mobility and to govern any speed limits by local enforcement rather than hardware limitations. Any new legislation shouldn't stifle future innovation in transport, and the govt need to realise that e-transport is more than just deckles scooters.  

I would guess im one of very few people who have taken an EUC into the Palace of Westminster ... but i didnt manage to ride it around the committee  rooms ...  

• Like 1

According to this article the UK is only allowing rental e-scooters.  Seems they haven't thought about the hygiene issue with rental e-scooters.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-allow-scooters-june-covid-19-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

The trial wouldn't extend to individuals who want to buy their own private scooter, but is intended for cities who want to operate rented scooter schemes in partnership with scooter firms.

Edited by Nic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nic said:

According to this article the UK is only allowing rental e-scooters.  Seems they haven't thought about the hygiene issue with rental e-scooters.

I went to like your post but then thought that i actually don't like it. I despair of this country sometimes. They want to reduce pollution, there are 10's of thousands of privately owned devices who's owners would gladly take to their wheels and stay out of there cars ...  yet its still verboten. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 10:31 PM, MetricUSA said:

This is all more reason why speedsters need to slow their asses down!!! Show that euc'ers can be responsible transportation that obey the laws...unlike the idiotic kick scooter companies and their hazard vehicles... Nothing is worse for public image than a person weaving in and out of traffic... Or speeding pass pedestrians... Stay below 40 km/h....

I use a kick scooter, an electric scooter and an EUC. 

The hazard part comes from the idiots riding them not the devices themselves.

I think escooters have gone the wrong way with bigger and faster. Not so portable anymore!

I feel much safer riding on the pavement managing my speed (no faster than a jogger in busier environments). I want the option to do the same on my EUC. Otherwise I might as well get a bicycle (although how long til it gets stolen is another story).

It seems the only downside with increased number of users is we'll be pushed to the roads. Not a safe place in London.

Still, I'm hoping the bottom line is that the 'turn a blind eye' approach comes back in to play and I can actually use my pevs again (currently cycling most places or using my kick scooter).

• 8 months later...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/01/16/shapps-plan-get-e-scooters-road-hits-speed-bumps/

Shapps’ plan to get e-scooters on the road hits speed bumps

The government's adviser will not report back on whether to give electric scooters the green light until the end of October

ByOliver Gill16 January 2021 • 8:00pm

Hopes are fading that ministers will legalise the use of electric scooters on Britain’s roads before the end of the year.

Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, sought to “fast-track” the legalisation of e-scooters last spring as officials scrambled to prevent a spike in car use when the first lockdown was eased.

Some £2bn was allocated towards cycling, walking and new modes of transport to also relieve pressure on buses and trains.

A two-week consultation to legalise e-scooters was launched in May, with 12-month trials rolled out shortly after.

“We are on the cusp of a transport revolution,” Mr Shapps said at the time. “Our groundbreaking future of transport programme marks the biggest review of transport laws in a generation and will pave the way for exciting new transport technology to be tested.”

Prior to the trials, it was legal to buy an e-scooter but not to ride it on public roads, cycle lanes or pavements. It was hoped that the trials would pave the way for e-scooters to be formally legalised by the summer of this year.

However, there have been a series of delays getting the trials up and running. They are finally due to start in London this spring, for example, following resistance from borough councils. A government filing now reveals that its own adviser will not report back on whether to give e-scooters the green light until the end of October.

Arup, a consultancy, has been hired to conduct a “national evaluation of e-scooter trials” on behalf of the Department for Transport.

Its contract, which involves taking industry soundings and will cost taxpayers £850,000, is due to be completed on Oct 27. Whitehall officials will then have to consider Arup’s findings before considering whether to change road laws.

Tom McPhail, director of public affairs at Pure Electric said: “Scooters help solve three big challenges for the Government: climate change, urban air quality and social mobility.

“Given the levelling-up agenda and the global climate conference they’re hosting later this year, it makes no sense they’re not moving faster.”

A spokesman for the Department for Transport said: “E-scooter trials will run until the autumn of 2021 to help us understand their impact on public space and other road users.

“Evidence collected through the trials, alongside wider public stakeholder engagement, will inform our decision on whether to proceed with any legislative changes and, if so, on what basis.”

On 5/10/2020 at 9:00 PM, null said:

I'd reformulate it a little to "Our government is paranoid about [ being held responsible for ] people getting hurt". Tons of people get killed by cars every single day, they won't do much about that (if anything replacing cars with EUCs would help) - but- you can't blame them personally for it.

edit: to be a step more disillusioned I’d say they just rather not do their job of serving the people, preferring accepting ready made lobby packages and preparing for the next vote.

edit: bingo some scooter share presented them with a package.

So true! EUC’s are deemed dangerous as they are difficult to ride and control....the decision makers forgetting just how difficult it was to learn to ride and control a bike!! ...... Also, the media are always going on about the poor woman who came off her escooter in heavy traffic and was killed by a lorry..therefore.....all PEV’s must be dangerous......Forgetting that between 100 and 150 cyclists die on the road each year....Yet bikes are considered safe transport! 😏

On 5/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, nute said:

As I understand it, they will only allow rental scooters because of liability insurance. The rental companies have to have liability insurance...which interestingly, and stupidly, isn’t available for a privately owned scooter / PEV!

• 1 month later...

Uninsured e-scooter rider jailed after being caught by city centre cops

Sentenced to eight weeks in prison and banned from the roads for 13 months.

An uninsured e-scooter rider has been jailed after being caught out by city centre cops.

Cops seized the uninsured Pure Air Pro electric scooter back in October.

The rider, who police haven't named, was hauled before the courts and handed an eight-week jail term.

They were also banned from driving for more than a year.

Electric scooters are often seen on roads and pavements around the city centre, but they are not actually legal unless they belong to a company permitted to lease them out. Under regulations, only insured Voi e-scooters are permitted to be used in public in Birmingham.

Back in October, West Midlands Police traffic officers tweeted: "RHPT have seized this Escooter today in Birmingham for no insurance. Rider was disqualified from holding a licence. Only the council's official scooters are legal to use on a road."

In an update issued today, police said: "We thought an update on this case was due. The rider has been disqualified from driving for 13 months and received an 8 week prison sentence.

"We can not release further details but would ask anyone who wants to use an #escooter in Brum to checkout Voi."

I find it almost unbelievable that a custodial sentence would be given to someone riding an electric scooter without some other aggravating factors. I am sure there is more to this than just riding it. Maybe he/she was already on a ban for no insurance.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Maybe he/she was already on a ban for no insurance.

I believe that may have been the case as someone commented to that effect, but still harsh.

Ride an uninsured e-scooter and you go to jail for eight weeks (and very likely lose your job too), but groom and serially rape underage girls and the police will be afraid to touch you. Some seem to be more equal than others. Literal insanity.

• Like 1