Slacklining

Once in awhile I'd seen photos and videos of people walking a distinctly stretched, sagging , yet taught line that looked like nylon webbing (tens of feet of it) from a rock climbing adventure strung between two upright posts. In rarer occasions I'd seen sick (to me) portrayals of the sport at death defying heights. 

Reading my alumni magazine a year or so ago one graduate who studied abroad recalled memorable 'slacklining' events with friends in the place they had chosen to study abroad. I thought to myself ...' I guess it's legit' as an activity if it made it into the Alumni magazine......in the same sense that rock climbing or free climbing exists/existed as a 'sport' when I was a college student.

A Google search turns up a url for the UMASS Slacklining Club.

https://umassamherst.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/umassslackers

So....Slacklining for this generation of students exists but it's new to my understanding of social things to do with friends that carry some risk.

My racquetball club would put up a slackline for us to try our hand at. It's not dangerous, as it's only half a foot above the ground at its lowest point.

I think it's a suitable group activity as you can cheer or jeer users. I was never able to do it for more than a few seconds, but I never saw anyone actually fall. You just drop off.

• Like 1

Slacklining is a greatly fun challenge! I was able to walk the 20 feet line from end to end after a little practice. Absolutely worth trying out, and the learning process even has many similarities to learning an EUC.

My first experience was 'slacklining' a parking lot chain. I had intended on hitting a good  oillie (skateboard) and getting over it. I somehow wound up standing on the chain and promptly fell off, wrists first. Dont fool yourselves, I can figure out a way to get injured from a standing position at a mere 4" above the ground :D.  This slackliing looks like a GREAT hobby for the euc rider. I find it quite amazing how you guys do that at all!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1