What is your other PEV?

I’ve found my self wanting a casual but fun PEV as an alternative to my EUC.

There have been times I wanted to just make a quick trip to the pharmacy or package store but without getting completely geared up like I do for my EUC.

ive  been eyeballing one of those off-road looking E boards to serve this purpose 

Do any of you have an alternative PEV? And how/when do you use it? 

• Like 1

Just now, johnyz89 said:

Why cant you use your EUC with lighter gear (helmet and wrist guards) ? Euc is much safer than e-board... Dont rush above 20kph and you will be fine.

Hmm. That’s a thought. I suppose part of my problem is that I have a huge EUC ( KS18XL) and live in a 3rd floor apartment. I figured an esk8 would be easier to just grab and go

I would consider the V8F. Light and portable, yet capable of decent speeds if needed. If you're really into EUC's, I don't think anything would be anywhere near as fun. I would only be thinking how much more fun I'd be having on an EUC!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Hmm. That’s a thought. I suppose part of my problem is that I have a huge EUC ( KS18XL) and live in a 3rd floor apartment. I figured an esk8 would be easier to just grab and go

I've got an Ownboard Bamboo AT--while it's lighter than most my EUCs (~24 lbs) it's pretty awkward to carry. Mostly because Ownboard didn't drill out a handle on the side of the board, but it's also much longer than an EUC which makes it more annoying to navigate in tight quarters (like stairs).

For short trips I love my Mten3. I feel safer going 20mph on the Mten3 than on the Ownboard, and they weigh about the same. Mten3 handle is blocky and uncomfortable, but with a bit of added padding it's usable. Not rounding out the handle was a big miss on Gotway's part.

• Like 1

In my opinion, You just need second wheel. Something lighter that can be easily carried by hand. My bet would be lightest ks ( 14d ?), inmotion v5 or king of portability, which can be even carried in backpack : mten3. Wheels takes minimal space compared to other e-vehicles and with trolley handle they are the easiest to carry anyway.

Edit:

I almost forgot about ips i5. That would be the perfect euc, but I'm not sure its still available.

Edited by johnyz89
  • Like 1

I use my wife’s electric kickscooters once in a while, mainly to remind me how much greater EUCs are :)

Edited by null
  • Like 2

I have a onewheel XR and pint in addition to my ks18xl. The onewheels are short distance fun ride but ks18xl is for everything else. GFs dad built an ebike but it takes way too much space and require a lock.

• Like 1

None. Euc is my only electric transport vehicle. When I need less, I walk. When I need more, I burn petroleum. These new electric cars and bikes are cool, but its too healthy an invest in too new a product, for me to bite.

20 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

There have been times I wanted to just make a quick trip to the pharmacy or package store but without getting completely geared up like I do for my EUC.

ive  been eyeballing one of those off-road looking E boards to serve this purpose 

Don't bother gearing up? When I don't feel like messing with it, thats what i do.  If you refuse to NOT gear up, I dont see how most ANY pev would be safe enough to solve your dilemma. The baby mten only does 12mph. I'm not thinking an e-board is any safer. To the liquor store, such irony, lovin' it.:cheers:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Bingo. A light euc and a heavy euc should be optimal.

I have a V8 and a Tesla.

Could just as well have a 14in and an MSX but the V8 is only 14kg anyway.

The tesla is 19kg with only 850Wh. If I build two new battery packs I will have 750Wh @ 17.5kg or 1500Wh @ 20kg. Pretty sweet.

If I were a larger rider (I'm 65kg) I would pick an MSX hands down. Only 3kg heavier than a Tesla and nice tire and quality. But as an only wheel it is annoying to carry when you commute on trains/buses or carry up stairs. That's when the light wheel comes in handy.

You'll also stay safer this way because you can respect a low max speed if you know it's your short ride lighter wheel. I crashed trying to push my "do it all" wheel too fast and I still have pain from that 6 months later. (no protection equipment would have helped me)

Get two wheels. :thumbup: Respect the hardware limitations. Go even lower than the max even on Inmotion/Kingsong to stay safe. These wheels are made by chinese for chinese, not heavy westeners first and foremost. I'm not heavy and I still experienced a cutout on a wheel I considered bomb proof for 10.000km. Noone is safe. Ride with a healthy power margin.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

I’ve found my self wanting a casual but fun PEV as an alternative to my EUC.

A quick trip but literally every PEV requires you to lock it up outside a store(Wasting time) except an EUC or skateboard.

The solution is to buy gloves you can throw on and moto pants you can slide in with knee armor and probably a moto jacket to throw on as well. That takes literally as much time as putting on regular clothes to head to the store. Putting on seperate knee guards, bulky wrist guards to strap, and elbow pads takes tons of time compared to this setup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The solution is to buy gloves you can throw on and moto pants you can slide in with knee armor and probably a moto jacket to throw on as well.

Bingo! Mesh pants with armor, mesh jacket with armor, gloves. I have 3 levels of gear. 1. None  2. Light pants/jacket armor  3.Wrist guards,knee guards, pants, jacket blah blah blah. Its all compromises in the end. For me, MTB and lighter stuff seems decent for sub 40mph. Having a damn Iron Man suit that puts itself on is the REAL answer.

• Like 1

I put about 1600 miles on a Segway miniPro over the course of two years of daily commuting to work in Hawaii. At 27 lbs it was fine for carrying up and down a flight of stairs or two, and super convenient to take inside stores or offices with its retractable handle. I also never felt the need to wear protective gear with the 10mph top speed and two wheels (and I fully gear up every time I ride my EUC). It was also a lot of fun to ride everyday, but this was several years ago before I rode an EUC, and I have to admit that my MTen3 is much more exciting to cruise around on (and would have been perfectly fine for my 4-mile RT commute). I now have two Segway miniPros and still hop on them to run errands around the neighborhood because I feel safer on them despite the decreased fun factor and speed. I’d personally prefer to carry an mTen3 up and down stairs if I was in your situation, but would prefer the Segway for pushing around the store once I got there (though you could add the trolley handle to the MTen3 for that purpose). Just my experience and opinion, but I definitely wouldn’t discourage you from going with an mTen3 or other smallish EUC for the job as others have recommended!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...