Local legislation speed restrictions

null

Several countries have official speed restrictions on PEVs, making many of us outlaws.

France for instance want EUCs to be locked to 25Km/h from factory or seller. (most city streets have 30km/h for cars, brilliant thinking)
Most of Europe have these kind of limits, or even worse at 20Km/h.

As much as I'm willing to take a fine to be able to ride at safe speed (which is car flow), it will be a bigger problem if I can't get insured.

Just recently a shop started selling KingSong wheels speed locked to 25km/h, so supposedly legal.
How does this work? Until now the firmware was (is) unified, and the wheel serial number is recognised as Chinese (KS Wheel) or International (Kingsong)

Will it be possible to get a wheel officially region legal by getting the serial number flagged at KS, or is this some local hackery?
As much as I don't wish for hard enforcement, the ability to be legal can be important.
In France, if you have say a e-scooter, you can go to a shop and get it locked, then get a paper from them stating the device is neutered.
Could Kingsong do the same remotely at demand? It could be a paying service in exchange of a legal document.
To KingSongs benefit it could render their devices legal where they currently are not, boosting sales.

@Jack King Song , @Micheal Shen , @tinawong ?

Edited by null
  • Like 1

On their site it says: "

"Vitesse Maximale 25 km/h (débridable 40Km/h pour pistes privées)"

So I guess is something like: "seller sets app speed to 25km/h then change password and sell it as factory speed limitation"...

Easy-peasy to unlock...

• Like 1

Very possible, but I don’t think that would make them legal, contrary to what their website says. (If the user isn’t supposed to be able to remove the lock) Besides password locking them would leave you out of any settings.

i guess I’ll have to mail them and see.

Well it's like for a motorcycle... it's 50km/h max but all kids know how to upgrade... Same here, I don't really see how you can limit "hardware" speed on EUC as all is done in firmware... So it can be always changed, modified. You know that KS can lock speed in their official app, as you have to login to unlock higher speeds. So it's probably registered somewhere on their servers and linked to serial number of your EUC. So if you use official KS app, they can easily lock speed settings to max 25km/h... But it will be always easy to overwrite using an unofficial app or by flashing firmware... just like for a motorcycle... :-)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Same legislation in Belgium: "door bouw en motorvermogen, op een horizontale weg, niet sneller kan rijden dan 25 km per uur" = "by build and motor power cannot drive faster than 25 km/h on an horizontal road".

Kingsong Europe states on their website that the ks-16s is limited to 25 km/h.

I have downloaded both documents to my smartphone in case the police stops me.