null

Where to fasten the leash? Rider side.

Almost wish I never read this thread...yet aNOTHEr thing to worry about with this beloved hobby/lifestyle 😝 

this thread got me thinking.. i wonder if anybody has ever thought of something like a kill switch on a treadmill whereas you would just clip it anywhere on you and as soon as its pulled it kills the motor, any euc would instantly fall and stop very quickly if the motor was off

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

this thread got me thinking.. i wonder if anybody has ever thought of something like a kill switch on a treadmill whereas you would just clip it anywhere on you and as soon as its pulled it kills the motor, any euc would instantly fall and stop very quickly if the motor was off

Great idea, but also another point of failure. Imagine if you killed it by accident while at speed, or if the circuit failed? Sounds like it would have to be implemented, along with some kind of firmware tweak. My leash is more a "HEADS UP!!", and if it goes terribly wrong, I run the OTHER way. :ph34r:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Great idea, but also another point of failure. Imagine if you killed it by accident while at speed, or if the circuit failed? Sounds like it would have to be implemented, along with some kind of firmware tweak. My leash is more a "HEADS UP!!", and if it goes terribly wrong, I run the OTHER way. :ph34r:

yea i thought of that too haha,, i mean you could have a long lead and make it quite difficult to pull out by accident not like the weak magnets used on the treadmill ones... but even still this would scare me enough to not want it lol... i think it would have to be coupled with pressure sensors in the pedals, only if both conditions are met (plug pulled and no weight on the pedals) would the motor switch off

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Rywokast said:

This has been discussed before, I'm too lazy to look up the actual posts but if you poke around in the threads listed here you should find the discussion(s) somewhere:

General consensus is that it brings more risks to the table than it averts

Edited by travsformation

9 hours ago, archieuc said:

After losing a wheel in the water (it still hurts), now I use this every time I ride along a river:

997294625_Sanstitre.thumb.png.7c23f82862d50e06aae45ed1269bb99c.png

She's cute, I don't blame you...

Although universally viewed as a bad idea for Kiteboarding, where the kite can power you up unexpectedly with you and your board following at high speed, I think this retractable leash might work well for euc’s.  I’ve never lost control of my wheel, but the thought of doing so around pedestrians, even at modest at speeds, gives me the shivers. 

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp?prod=oceanus_eel_reel_leash

I am surprised that people would consider using leashes on their wheels (other then when learning how to ride)... sounds dangerous... what am I missing? how often are you guys losing control of your wheel so badly that this is necessary?  How often does a wheel run away by itself? My V8 just tips over instantly so I don't understand the need for a leash.

Posted (edited)

Last month, I was driving on a path along the river.
No one in front, I was cruising at 15 miles an hour.
Suddenly, a Malinois shepherd dog appeared out of nowhere (actually from the hill I was driving along) and jumped on me.

I saw him only when he was on me (Dogs really don't like EUCs).

Impossible to control anything. I fell on my knees (my knee pads partially protected me) and the wheel was held back by the leash mentioned above. Thanks to the elastic part, everything went smoothly. The dog was ok too.

This leash that I only wear around water just saved my wheel, without a doubt.

Edited by archieuc

12 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I am surprised that people would consider using leashes on their wheels (other then when learning how to ride)... sounds dangerous... what am I missing? how often are you guys losing control of your wheel so badly that this is necessary?  How often does a wheel run away by itself? My V8 just tips over instantly so I don't understand the need for a leash.

It may very well be that once you've passed your initial learning curve that when you do have a crash it is severe enough to tip the wheel. 

My learning wheel took off on me once and didn't stop until it hit a fence.  Since then I have used a leash.  It has a breakaway and is just enough to insure that the wheel is out of balance.

636937491_ParaCordLeash.thumb.jpg.1f7a613aab161f80d467a97ce92f0437.jpg

Bruce

Don't most male riders put the leash around their nuts and hand the other end to their wife? Me, i gots no leash so watch the fuk out!