Buying helmet without trying it on

For now I only ride at max 13 mph / 20 kph because all I have is an open face helmet and I want to allow some reaction time if something bad were to happen. I want to buy a full face MTB helmet but stores don't allow to try them on right now because of That-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named. I cannot afford to buy a whole collection like some guys on this forum.  I know that the one I have right now fits heads from 58 to 61 cm and the smaller size was too small. Is this enough info to try and buy one right now or should I juste keep riding slow and wait?

Also, feel free to educate me on the kind of helmet I should choose. I won't be riding at crazy speeds (but may be buying a new KS wheel soon). I have my eyes on models like these or a similar price range ideally, though if it's really worth it to pay more I would want to buy just one and keep it for years. Or maybe even cheaper helmets would be enough since I won't be going down hills at 70kph like a mountain biker?

https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-3r-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000059.html?dwvar_100000000500000059_color=MatteBlack

https://www.foxracing.com/rampage-comp-matte-black-helmet/26361.html?dwvar_26361_color=255&dwvar_26361_size=S&cgid=mtb-mens-helmets-rampage

https://www.foxracing.com/rampage-helmet-/25110.html?dwvar_25110_color=021&dwvar_25110_size=S&cgid=mtb-mens-helmets-rampage

https://www.giro.com/p/switchblade-mips-full-face-bike-helmet/100000001500000013.html?dwvar_100000001500000013_color=MatteBlackGlossBlack

https://www.giro.com/p/disciple-mips-bike-helmet/100000001500000015.html

Thanks in advance

Edited by Kryziss
  • Like 1

When I first started riding I wore a Giro open faced bike helmet and at the 50 mile mark I took a dive when I hit a bad seam in a sidewalk. Split my lip and banged up my nose so I immediately made the decision to get a full faced helmet. I have a large head, so I had limited choices but I ended up with a Fox Proframe which I am very happy with. It was a lot cheaper than the possible dental bill from another face plant...

I am now well past the 1,000 mile mark and have never ridden without the helmet.

I had a switchblade for a while, I really liked it. But I managed to break one of the small plastic pieces holding the chin bar, and totally lost confidence in the construction. The shop took it back and I'm now riding with a TLD Stage which feels really light and well ventilated. The Fox Proframe is same-same and the Rampage is much less ventilated, it's more of a DH helmet. 

I think the choice is as much a personal one as well as a function of what kind of riding you do. And especially in which kind of climate. For fast road riding in temperatures like 15-20 degrees C you could very well go for the Rampage. For trail riding or warmer weather I'd recommend more ventilation. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the input. For now I found a used helmet without much ventilation which should be good at least for the first and last few months of the riding season. I will see how much of a pain it is in summer but at least it wasn't expensive. 

• Like 1

So, I have a huge head. I've never bothered measuring it. I just know that anything less than 2XL doesn't fit in any comfortable way. Needless to say, this has led to issues with helmet selection. My first wheel helmet was a Giro Mountain biking helmet from Dick's sporting goods. I ended up falling and despite getting a blackout level concussion, I managed to spare my face. After that, it was obvious that the helmet saved my life, but I probably needed a full faced helmet. I couldn't find anything full face with good ventilation in stores, and i was super weary about buying online with the aforementioned sizing issues, so I went with a normal full face motorcycle helmet. I live in Florida, where the heat is awful. The moto helm was okay for the cooler months, but with no ventilation, summer was just as likely to kill me through heat stroke as through falling. So i had to take a risk and buy a helmet online. The first priority (beyond safety obviously) was maximum airflow. With that, I narrowed the selection down to an MTB helmet. And from there, I came to either the TLD Stage or Kali Invader as the two main choices having exactly what I wanted. I ended up going with the invader, despite hearing a lot of great things about the Stage. I'm super glad I took the risk. I love this helmet.

Pros:

• Great ventilation. The things is basically a head roll cage.
  • magnetic quick clip strap means I never have to fiddle with crappy plastic buckles
  • Superb visibility
  • It weighs basically nothing
  • It fits my head perfectly, though no two people get the same fit. I can see how people could have an issue with sparse padding
  • minimalist padding makes eyewear easy and headphones possible(waiting on my raycons to confirm this)
  • Good price

Cons:

• The air flow makes for a lot of noise. It may be a bit difficult to hear wheel beeps
  • The adjustible visor feels a bit cheap, and likes to be uneven. 

Overall, I would buy this helmet again if I crashed and had to get another(assuming it does its job lol).

Edited by Austin Baez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Followed that

Found my head was 58cm.

Found a Size chart for Bell's helmet, wish suggested a Medium size.

Found a place to try and buy locally for the same price.

Fits like a charm.

Remember that most Amazon Prime delivery comes with amazon refund policy which is crazy effective...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 6:03 PM, Dubardo said:

Followed that

Found my head was 58cm.

Found a Size chart for Bell's helmet, wish suggested a Medium size.

Found a place to try and buy locally for the same price.

Fits like a charm.

Remember that most Amazon Prime delivery comes with amazon refund policy which is crazy effective...

How is the Bell Helmet? I am looking into the Super 3R MIPS atm. My head is also 58cm. It'd be my first full face

Since stores don't allow to try the helmets on right now, it turns out I was able to find a used 100% status helmet for me and a used fox proframe for my girlfriend, both at a third of the price and both extremely comfortable. Scour the internet often and you might be rewarded :thumbup:

20 hours ago, Waulnut said:

How is the Bell Helmet? I am looking into the Super 3R MIPS atm. My head is also 58cm. It'd be my first full face

Fitted like a glove. Highly recommended

• 1 year later...

How to properly measure a bike helmet: First is to measure the head size for a bike helmet. It is more appropriate to use a cloth tape measure when taking your head size. Typically, the manufacturer will provide you with an exact size chart, and you should try on several hats to determine the exact size you require. Then make adjustments to your helmet so it can fit properly. It fits your head perfectly. The final step is to perform a vibration test, shaking your head around, side to side, and in all directions. Make sure that the product does not move an inch in any direction.

Sizing charts, return policies and patience? Im not sure you're going to get ANY usefull info from us, as even when its our own heads, we are rolling the dice. I Fwiw, I use  Bell DH. Ive an odd head, but these plastic toys they call helmets, are adjustable now. Cuz you know how having one size to fit more people, is also a way to slash costs.

Edited by ShanesPlanet