Newbie - Waterproof or riding during rain

Tgellan

Hi,

This is my first post... I'm aged at level 41, close to a level up and weighting about 90kg.

A year ago, I did testdrive the Solowheel, now I will finally order my first wheel. It is mainly meant to replace the car on short distances and live along with the car, in order to accommodate for distance parking.... Even considered using it for the commute to my workplace, but frankly, that would be suicide :-(

Currently, after reading this forum for hours, I tend to a KingSong 14C 800W 680WH.

Although I'd like a bigger wheel, it shouldn't take any place in the trunk of the car...

As I understand, non-Asians should take the stronger motor, therefor I tend toward the 800W version.

What do you think about that choice? Locally I could get both Solowheel and Ninebots.

Second question, what about rain? Are there any known problems with water and EUCs? I saw one youtube video with I think two KingSongs riding in a pond, about 10-15cm deep.

Confused

T'Gellan

The teardown-pictures I've seen of various wheels have shown that they're not really IP65-protected (although at least most claim to be), meaning the enclosures aren't really watertight even from splashing water. However, many people have ridden them in the rain without problems. Some shops even have disclaimers saying that the warranty is void if the unit is ridden during rain :huh:  One can always open up the unit and seal the openings with bathroom silicone or similar, or just hope for the best.

@Jason McNeil has a special version of KS14 800W coming up with better liquid protection & large battery packs with high quality cells:

Hi, @Tgellan , welcome, and I hope you have a fun and safe time learning! I have ridden a Gotway Msuper in rain with no problems I could detect. I have ridden an IPS Lhotz in the rain, and although it ran perfectly, after riding I noticed water droplets through the clear casing of the front/rear LED lights, but lights still functioned.

I once rode under rainfall on my SoloWheel Xtreme. I was holding an umbrella in one hand, like they do in their advertisement. However, I do not recomend it. I had my worst fall I've had on an euc yet! It was nasty. The problem is not so much the wheel, but your wet shoes on the pedals. You will slip off them if you go fast. Its what happened to me, combined with wind drag caught in the umbrella by pointing it to the wrong angle just slightly. 

@edwin_rm , I agree completely, slippery pedals are a problem. There is only so much you can do with grip tape, etc. Even if you could get stuck onto the pedals, there is still the problem of traction of the tire on the road.

I've only wheeled in the rain because it was raining when I got out of work, and the EU was my ride home.

I've been riding my IPS Lhotz in te rain, the pedals get really slippery then, especially when they start tilting in very tight circles.

I've solved this with small pieces of skate board tape here and there (not the whole pedal!), and bought Oxel skateboard shoes, the combination works miracles.

Sofar I have not found a decent solution for the rubber charging port cap, which detaches all the time. I'm not aware if there are screwcaps available as an aftermarket fix.

I hope this helps.

@Jurgen , yes, this is frustrating! Went to hardware store, could find no metal screw on cap that would fit. My solution so far is to put a strip of tape around cap to make it stiffer, and when I put it on, twist it 90 degrees so the strap pulls down on the lid and kind of keeps it on. I haven't given up hope on a replacement: I think that audio microphone adapters might have the same thread.

ips cap closed.jpg

ips cap sm.jpg

3 hours ago, Villac said:

@Jurgen , yes, this is frustrating! Went to hardware store, could find no metal screw on cap that would fit. My solution so far is to put a strip of tape around cap to make it stiffer, and when I put it on, twist it 90 degrees so the strap pulls down on the lid and kind of keeps it on. I haven't given up hope on a replacement: I think that audio microphone adapters might have the same thread.

Maybe you already have seen this cap?

http://www.banggood.com/Electric-Wheelbarrow-Charging-Port-Covers-Dust-Covers-p-958009.html

23 hours ago, Jurgen said:

This is exactly what I was looking for, yes!!!

I'll order one from amazon uk (9 euro incl delivery)

thanks, a 'life' saver :)

Based on what I've read on here (and those reviews), it is well worth replacing (or removing) the metal chain with a piece of string or something non-metal because accidentally brushing the chain against the charger pins inside the port will instantly break your unicycle.

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Based on what I've read on here (and those reviews), it is well worth replacing (or removing) the metal chain with a piece of string or something non-metal because accidentally brushing the chain against the charger pins inside the port will instantly break your unicycle.

oops, thanks buddie, seems you've just saved me a wheel,

if you ever fancy a ride around Mechelen (Malines) Belgium, don't hestitate to contact me

21 hours ago, Tom said:

Great Advice!  I was wondering the same thing when I saw those.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, NevNutz said:

I used plasti dip over my pedals. Gives the pedals a rubber coating. No slipping in the rain. Put a good 3-4 coats.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Did you get a chance to test that yesterday in the rain yesterday Nutz?

Yes, worked much better than without it. Didn't feel much slipping compared to without it. However since the contact is mostly on the inner part of the wheel that is flat and on the tips of the of the foot pedal that actually make contact with the bottom of the shoe, if using too much force to maneuver you can still slip. Filling down the pedals then applying the plasti dip should work much much better! I'm thinking to just add some grip tape at the ends, don't want too grippy just in case I need to bail.

Archived