InMotion V10 not working

Alex Moon

My V10 suddenly stopped self balancing, it's as if the handle kill switch is engaged.  I also noticed that the headlight won't turn on.  I've ran diagnostics and everything comes up fine.  I've tried all the troubleshooting tips like toggling transportation mode and handle mode on and off.  There was no physical damage and it hasn't gotten wet.  Is there a way to do a hard "reset" or something?

You can always open the wheel and disconnect the batteries. Then switch on the V10 until all power is drained.

But in all likelyhood this is just a bad board and you need to replace the board. No point in riding a wheel (even if it works again) that had unexplained error symptoms, that's just waiting for a disaster to happen.

Ask your seller, they must know.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, did you figure out what this was? I'm having the same issue, no balance, no light. I've disconnected/reconnected the battery, nothing!

I have a case open, with a bit of luck this should fall under warranty. In the meantime, I'm really itching to get riding again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I had the same trouble as you, and solved by replacing the board.

My wheel got bricked when I was adding custom sounds via inmotion's app and didnt't let me turn it off.

I proceeded to disassemble the wheel to disconnect the battery, waited a minute and then reconnected it. 

It successfully powered on but after a couple minutes of riding, it instantly shut down and couldn't turn it on again.

I disassembled the wheel again and found a completely burnt MOSFET (maybe a TO-220?). The only way to turn the board on at this point was to disconnect the motor so the mosfet didn't need to be operational.

Board On, I can finally run the auto diagnostic on its app. "Everything is fine" says the liar.

From here the story is  extremely long and frustrating, since the seller on Aliexpress didn't want to send any replacement parts and  Inmotion support team just stopped replying to me, those f****rs ignored all my emails, even those from my attorney.

Why the attorney? Because the wheel had another 9 months of active warranty and since they sell in Europe they must comply with European market laws.

I live in Italy by the way.

The whole circus lasted a month with Aliexpress support team that kept lying to me, the seller who couldn't care less and Inmotion that illegaly ignored a warranty request.

I ended up ordering a board on discount from that seller, BUT he sent me a V10 board, not a V10F board.

Exhausted by these chinese people I mounted the V10 board and decided to leave this sad story behind because it was not worth it to be stressed anymore. By doing so now I have 1800W instead of 2000W, and the app shows 70km of range instead of 100km (real range for me is 50km, so it was useful to just cut in half the estimated remaining range).

Long story short: 

try to disconnect the battery, and connect it again. Check that the fuse is still alive and there are no burnt components on the board.

If the wheel won't balance after this you will have to change the board and I am really sorry to say that  :(

Hey, thanks for sharing your story, has to be said, I'm having a similarly bad time. It's been about 5 weeks now but they have agreed to send a new board out but it won't get to me for another 5, that's 10 weeks of no riding! I'm really thinking about getting a backup wheel because the support (from inmotion, the reseller has been really helpful) is awful!

Is this normal for a V10 or are they usually more reliable? I mean can I expect this to happen again soon?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 2:16 PM, ridelondon said:

... I'm really thinking about getting a backup wheel because the support (from inmotion, the reseller has been really helpful) is awful!

Is this normal for a V10 or are they usually more reliable? I mean can I expect this to happen again soon?

Honestly all the EUC manufacturers have pretty poor post-sale support (typical of Chinese companies), which is why the community recommends/raves about the most trustworthy resellers like ewheels and speedyfeet--they provide excellent support in lieu of all manufacturers' deficiency in that regard. Such resellers keep an inventory not just of wheels but also parts and for example ewheels can often get parts shipped out to you in a day or two.

In talking with ewheels about InMotion's reliability, it's really interesting. They said InMotion tends to have a slightly higher than average failure of boards where they just won't turn on for some reason? But on the flip side they have a lower than average failure of boards while in operation/while being ridden. Personally I'll take that tradeoff any day of the week. Never really seen that distinction talked about online, but ewheels spoke about it as if it was pretty definitive/proven.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Honestly all the EUC manufacturers have pretty poor post-sale support (typical of Chinese companies), which is why the community recommends/raves about the most trustworthy resellers like ewheels and speedyfeet--they provide excellent support in lieu of the manufacturers' deficiency in that regard. Such resellers keep an inventory not just of wheels but also parts and for example ewheels can often get parts shipped out to you in a day or two.

In talking with ewheels about InMotion's reliability, it's really interesting. They said InMotion tends to have a slightly higher than average failure of boards where they just won't turn on for some reason? But on the flip side they have a lower than average failure of boards while in operation/while being ridden. Personally I'll take that tradeoff any day of the week. Never really seen that distinction talked about online, but ewheels spoke about it as if it was pretty definitive/proven.

I agree, they are less aggressive wheels but I'll take to trade-off to not get a fail mid ride!

Speedyfeet are great and I'd recommend them to anyone getting a wheel, they have V10F boards but no V10, which is why I'm waiting for inmotion to deliver.

I totally agree with you, it is always better to buy from trustworthy resellers, they are more expensive but provide post sale support (always underrated until you have a failure).

In my case I bought my v10f from a friend who wasn't able to ride it and sold me the wheel at just 600€ with 20km on it, that was an offer i couldn't refuse :efee6b18f3:.

• Like 1