Strange behavior from rebuilt KS18XL

svenomous

I need some help diagnosing a problem: I spent the day reassembling my KS18XL onto a new inner shell.  After reinstalling everything, but before tightening down the shell or putting on the covers and LED strips, I gave the thing a quick test and confirmed that it turned on, balanced, gave the expected beep out of the buzzer, and could properly illuminate the front and rear headlamp. So, I finished putting everything together, and finally stood it up and turned it on again.

It turns on, and it balances, but it also makes a rhythmic popping sound through the speakers, and flashes 3 out of 4 of the LED strips and one of the headlamps, in time with the pops. The flashes are subtle/weak and very short. Only 3 of the 4 strips are involved. The frequency is approximately twice per second, maybe a bit slower.

Turned it off, back on, same thing.  It seems to continue doing this indefinitely each time it's turned on, all while balancing.

What could be the cause?

• Like 1

Double check ALL connections, especially any that may be ground paths? As it is effecting more than one circuit, perhaps try to find a common feed or ground they share? Man this is really odd, but its just  a shell and it worked before. Try and calibrate it a few times, but multiple circuits behaving oddly, is probably a mechanical connection issue... at least we hope so, right? Perhaps try with NO led strips connected to see if the speakers still pop? Swap led strips around to see if the one that doesnt light up, remains the same? Maybe disconnect ALL the lights and listen? Start simple first with fingers crossed. I dont know the freq of power these run on, but popping rhythmically could be a capacitor firing?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Hell yes!!! That is awesome news. SO it was an led strip feeding back into the circuit. I am VERY happy for you and thanks for letting us know you figured it out!

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
15 minutes ago, v8nice said:

Is the same problem?

Did you do something to wheel? Like open it, work on it..? Or did it just start happening out of nowhere?

Loose wire/connector. Broken solder point. Broken wire. - Anything can be possible.

The wheel balances well, I rode a few kilometers with it.

2 weird things:

this bug in the video, initially for 5 minutes everything works normally.

The wheel has 200km, but since I got it, the fan is always on, while I'm driving or even charging, but it says Off in the app.

temperature is ok

8 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

Seeing this new video, It's not a connection fault.

He's saying it "bugs" over time. (After some time the wheel starts to act like in first video.) More worse if he turns on light.. Even more worse if he turns both light on.

Edited by Funky

I think, It is necessary to check the pinched wires, crushed by a screw, a clip, a cover, the insulation of each wire, the fixing of the terminals, their temperature after one hour of tension and their welding on the motherboard, oxidation.

Weak wire connection somewhere.  At low power consumption and high voltage ( +80%) everything is fine.  As consumption  increases ( turn on light ) and / or voltage drops the weak connection cant deliver the needed power.  And there you go;  chines electronica harmonica :huh: - a situation not taken into account in the firmware.  Ever tried to charge a phone with a charger with old bent cable?  Phone reports "charging", but after 5 hours of "charge", level is the same 15%...

I drove until the end of the battery and the problem did not reappear, I only used the application to check the battery % and each time close the application.
Either that the problem comes from the bluetooth card when I leave the apps connected, or the problem is random..

• 1 year later...

I found my subject from last year, so I answer. After 1200km of driving with this ks18xl, fan still on, the problem of headlight crackling, speaker cracking, I also had jolts at low speed and I  I had a strangely high battery consumption. I changed the motherboard and everything works perfectly again.

• Like 1