Damn, this is effing hard... lol

Albatross

Looks like me with extra padding for the first few days. It aint that you're going too slowly, just be patient. Could you even do THAT, when you first got the wheel? You are getting bigger nnutz too, as Im SURE you used to bail when a wobble like that happened. Just powering thru like you do, tells me volumes. Great work on one footed control on the stop!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

It looks like you are using your feet to balance. I'd say try using your hips instead. Maybe the tire is underinflated. It could just be the camera angle, but the tire looks flat to me.

Is 35 psi not enough?

1 hour ago, Albatross said:

Is 35 psi not enough?

hold yourself up in place by a fence or something on hard concrete or wood floor :). Bounce up and down on the wheel. Do you feel it hit rim? Keep doing this and letting air out until you feel its too low. Be easy on it, just get a feel for it. Air it up to 40 and do the same. As a new rider that isnt jumping curbs and rocks, you can safely let it down to where you felt a nice cushion but didnt get too close to bottom out.  Im only 135lbs and i like the soft feel of 25psi on my 18(lotta off roadish stuff here). I go as low as 20psi on the mten. Just do the bounce test until you feel a soft give but no bottom out.  Measure it and consider this your low pressure (for now). As you ride faster and hit things harder, youll increase it. Trust me, when you bottom out, youll feel it. For now at low speeds on easy terrain, a gentle bottom out, will most likely be felt and not cause tube or rim damage. However, you do not want to  be bottoming out. There's no set number and I change mine depending on intent. HIgher pressures make for faster response and more miles. Softer pressures are more forgiving and give greater tire contact patch.  At 200lbs, i'd bet you'll be somewhere from 30-40psi, but again, its also a preference. I think you need more TIME than anything else. Even a hard as rocks tire or nearly flat tire can be ridden once you have put in the time.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

16 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

hold yourself up in place by a fence or something on hard concrete or wood floor :). Bounce up and down on the wheel. Do you feel it hit rim? Keep doing this and letting air out until you feel its too low. Be easy on it, just get a feel for it. Air it up to 40 and do the same. As a new rider that isnt jumping curbs and rocks, you can safely let it down to where you felt a nice cushion but didnt get too close to bottom out.  Im only 135lbs and i like the soft feel of 25psi on my 18(lotta off roadish stuff here). I go as low as 20psi on the mten. Just do the bounce test until you feel a soft give but no bottom out.  Measure it and consider this your low pressure (for now). As you ride faster and hit things harder, youll increase it. Trust me, when you bottom out, youll feel it. For now at low speeds on easy terrain, a gentle bottom out, will most likely be felt and not cause tube or rim damage. However, you do not want to  be bottoming out. There's no set number and I change mine depending on intent. HIgher pressures make for faster response and more miles. Softer pressures are more forgiving and give greater tire contact patch.  At 200lbs, i'd bet you'll be somewhere from 30-40psi, but again, its also a preference. I think you need more TIME than anything else. Even a hard as rocks tire or nearly flat tire can be ridden once you have put in the time.

I strongly disagree with this advice for a new rider. Even if they're not jumping curbs or rocks, a new rider is far more likely to drop/crash their wheel, and depending on how it falls this can damage a rim which will be more vulnerable with an underinflated tire.

If the tire says 35-45 psi, you should keep it somewhere between 35-45 psi until you're well-past the learning and still dropping it phase.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I strongly disagree with this advice for a new rider. Even if they're not jumping curbs or rocks, a new rider is far more likely to drop/crash their wheel, and depending on how it falls this can damage a rim which will be more vulnerable with an underinflated tire.

If the tire says 35-45 psi, you should keep it somewhere between 35-45 psi until you're well-past the learning and still dropping it phase.

True, an underinflated tire is at more risk for pinching a tube or denting a rim. I dont know tho, if you can bounce on it with your body weight and NOT bottom out, it would take a HELL of a drop from height to make a tire bottom out w/o a rider on it. I guess a runaway wheel at speed into a curb could definitely damage it. Flip side is that if a lower pressure keeps you from falling altogether.... I like mine underinflated a hair, but I'd imagine your advice of 35-45 is the safer bet for the rim and tube,. I've never managed to pinch a tube or bend a rim (from under-inflation) on bicycles or motocross or eucs  yet, but it could be dumb luck. 

*Stated sidewall pressures are highly debatable and depend very much on intended use.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Oh boy, might of over did it a bit yesterday. Woke up today with crazy pain around both knees. Both on the sides, just below the knee. Don’t think it’s joint pain rather then muscle pain. Never had knee issues.  Feels like I’ve been using leg muscles that have been neglected my entire life before this EUC adventure began. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

Might be time to take a day off :) Nothing wrong with that.  It took me a good 6 mo. to get to where I considered myself proficient.

Yep, going to take it easy today. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

True, an underinflated tire is at more risk for pinching a tube or denting a rim. I dont know tho, if you can bounce on it with your body weight and NOT bottom out, it would take a HELL of a drop from height to make a tire bottom out w/o a rider on it. I guess a runaway wheel at speed into a curb could definitely damage it.

I'd be more worried about the type of crash where the wheel 'tumbles'--which could produce an order of magnitude more force upon impact than if the wheel simply continued rolling on its own into a curb.

10 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I'd be more worried about the type of crash where the wheel 'tumbles'--which could produce an order of magnitude more force upon impact than if the wheel simply continued rolling on its own into a curb.

mine tumbles down rocky mountain roads at times. I've never noticed it gathering much excessive impact aside from what happens when a wheel rolls on its own shell. If it fell off the mountain, I'd imagine tire pressure will be a minimal concern. I havent studied the magnitude of forces, but even as it tumbles, the majority of the energy is spread along the tumble and not really too bad. Its all relative i guess. Newbies prolly shouldnt be riding up rocky mountain roads. In a side ways tumble, the forces on the rim are pretty high, but i doubt tire pressure will be much a factor, as the pressure on the axles and rim would create a bend.  I'm not advocating running a tire so flat it bottoms out. I am merely suggesting to try a lower pressure and a higher pressure. Fwiw, I kept mine a little higher when i first started, than now. In the beginning, Im a firm believer of doing whatever is easiest for the rider. Learning and NOT getting discouraged, are more what I focused on, didnt give a crap about what the wheel preferred.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 5/10/2020 at 7:53 AM, /Dev/Null said:

Might be time to take a day off :) Nothing wrong with that.  It took me a good 6 mo. to get to where I considered myself proficient.

Wow, what a difference taking a day off made!

Weather is crappy and I only had about 15-20 minutes to practice, but what a great session. Jumped off the wheel only once. Everything else was mounting, moving forward 20-30 feet, then breaking and dismounting. About half of the dismounts were with the wrong foot again, but I’m moving better. 

• Like 2

Had no time for the wheel yesterday, looking forward to setting an hour or so aside today. It’s great weather super psyched.  

I am definitely obsessed with EUC. And it’s funny, since I can’t really ride one yet, but I can’t help watching videos, reading write ups, etc...  

Last night had a dream that I was riding a Z10, which is weird since that’s one wheel that I never looked into and I don’t know how ride yet. Woke up happy and then realized, again, that I do not know how to ride yet.  Hoping it’s going to click soon...

• Like 2

@Albatross I just kinda stumbled over your thread here. Please take no offence but I am just :w00t2::roflmao:(Thinking back how I flapped my pinning flippers).

Because the way your progress are in between the posts here is exactly how my journey were when I started 21,5 years ago. Only difference my training sessions last like 10ish min...after 6-7 times I started to ride outside. 

I can only say that taking a break and maybe reviewing your clips of filming yourself helps to process what is homing on and maybe review how other explain this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@Albatross I just kinda stumbled over your thread here. Please take no offence but I am just :w00t2::roflmao:(Thinking back how I flapped my pinning flippers).

Because the way your progress are in between the posts here is exactly how my journey were when I started 21,5 years ago. Only difference my training sessions last like 10ish min...after 6-7 times I started to ride outside. 

I can only say that taking a break and maybe reviewing your clips of filming yourself helps to process what is homing on and maybe review how other explain this. 

No offense taken. The arm flapping does make everyone laugh, who sees me on this thing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Ooohhh-weee!!!

Feel like I’m getting better and more confident. Difficulty staying in a straight line, was going left and right today. But great mounts, great breaking and dismounts today. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FjwFagGXhpm3y9aj7

Sounds like my first few weeks with my wife, 20 years ago...:dribble:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Sounds like my first few weeks with my wife, 20 years ago...:dribble:

I was like there were EUCs 20 years ago, and then lol. We all went through that. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albatross said:

No offense taken. The arm flapping does make everyone laugh, who sees me on this thing. 

We had snow outsider at the time...

A lot of days later...maybe not that many but still...

The goal was to ride to work...

It is possible to learn 😁 

But the first few steps is a bit 🤕🤯🙄🤩

• Like 1