EUC Bodyguard alternative

gena

I want a new bodyguard for my wheel.

I have bought a euc bodyguard from @The Fat Unicyclist in the past. I am very happy with it. Very good product, very good customer service.

But for some reason we french customers do not have the option to buy using bank cards directly and are required to use paypal; uk people are able to choose not to use paypal.

I don't like paypal, and more importantly I don't like that discriminatory practice. No idea about the legality of it, I don't care that much. But I need a new bodyguard for my new wheel.

So is there any alternative? Sorry if this looks like a bashing of an otherwise good business and product; but as a consumer, I need either the choice of provider, or at least the same choice other people have. Or am I asking for too much?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gena said:

I want a new bodyguard for my wheel.

I have bought a euc bodyguard from @The Fat Unicyclist in the past. I am very happy with it. Very good product, very good customer service.

But for some reason we french customers do not have the option to buy using bank cards directly and are required to use paypal; uk people are able to choose not to use paypal.

I don't like paypal, and more importantly I don't like that discriminatory practice. No idea about the legality of it, I don't care that much. But I need a new bodyguard for my new wheel.

So is there any alternative? Sorry if this looks like a bashing of an otherwise good business and product; but as a consumer, I need either the choice of provider, or at least the same choice other people have. Or am I asking for too much?

It can be that the terms of credit card is so different that it is close to impossible for seller to use. it can be fees taken out or rist terms. It can also be credit card branch that don't allow trade with certian countries to avoid fraud. or it could be a regional block set that you can lift.

By using PayPal it is views as a local payment from credit card side. I had same issue making paymeny with a new credit card. I couldn't pay direct with it, until I used it in a terminal, but it accepted to be used through PayPak with same credit card. This I had not seen before but ther have a lot of options to use this new master card that I didn't see before. 

As for UK peole as you mention, it can be a commonwealth agreement same as France have special agreement with some old colonies they had. Looking at France from the outside, it can be a very hard place to do business because your country do not allow use of English. And the despite  some people that do speak English, I understand it is hard to learn when you are hardly exposed to it. 

58 minutes ago, gena said:

more importantly I don't like that discriminatory practice

Personally I think this is uncalled for as it is as much how France deal with English language, that they limit themself.

BTW, your profile state you are in London, so you should have UK payment option or?

Edited by Unventor

I have both UK and FR payment, yes; I need to use the french payment though, for some complicated reason, including the fact that I am confined in France now; if I select UK, then I am given the choice to use a credit / debit card or paypal, and I don't need any paypal account; if I choose FR, I can only either create a paypal account or use an existing one. I don't understand that.

I just want to be given the choice to either use a paypal account or not at all, as everybody else it seems. My words might seem a bit strong, talking about discrimination, but that is how I feel. Now if french people without paypal account cannot buy them, then too bad; but is there any alternative? I so want my euc bodyguard :( 

The Bodyguard is made out of neoprene. You can get sheet neoprene relatively cheaply but then you have to use a pattern of some type to cut it properly. I thought about using a pair of neoprene diving shorts and sewing the legs shut but that was going to be $30 plus my crappy effort so I realized that the Bodyguard was a pretty good deal after all. 

@gena, roll.nz is not a faceless conglomerate, it's a very small business, and we have the owner right here on this forum! May I suggest you contact @The Fat Unicyclist and see what can be arranged, given your situation? Maybe you can arrange to wire the money to him, which is old-fashioned but it works!  Maybe he'll even accept a bank check, and you can have your bank issue a check in NZD for the right amount, performing the appropriate currency exchange for you...then you can just mail the check via snail mail, or postal express mail, or DHL express if you're in a hurry.  Or, maybe you can even agree to write a personal check, in Euros (with exchange rate pre-agreed), mail that, and once it's deposited your EUC BodyGuard could be on its way to you.  So, why not make contact and see what can be arranged?  I vote for the wire transfer.

Contact info: https://www.roll.nz/contact-us

My intention is not to harm the business; we found a way to get this moving, and I am grateful for that. I will get my bodyguard soon hopefully :) 

I found this alternative, not sure of its qualities and customer service. The web site is a bit unusual, and the quality seems different. If someone has any feedback, that will be welcome.

http://www.alexaao.com/#delivery#!/tproduct/140058070-1497456130776

Same as in the EUC manufacture, competition is key to improvement, methink.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:28 AM, dmethvin said:

The Bodyguard is made out of neoprene. You can get sheet neoprene relatively cheaply but then you have to use a pattern of some type to cut it properly. I thought about using a pair of neoprene diving shorts and sewing the legs shut but that was going to be $30 plus my crappy effort so I realized that the Bodyguard was a pretty good deal after all. 

I actually did this for my Tesla. Took ages and I had to do it manually. I'm still pretty pleased with my  handy work even though it is a little rough around the edges.

My main advice for anyone who wants to attempt it (the roll.nz is definitely the one if unlike me you don't spend all your money on other hobbies) is to use 3mm neoprene instead of my 5mm. It made it a nightmare to sew and actually shifted my position on the pedals a bit. I'm sure a more experience rider would be fine. But for me as a beginner it felt a little off putting to not be able to get to my safe spot.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:37 AM, gena said:

My intention is not to harm the business; we found a way to get this moving, and I am grateful for that. I will get my bodyguard soon hopefully :) 

I found this alternative, not sure of its qualities and customer service. The web site is a bit unusual, and the quality seems different. If someone has any feedback, that will be welcome.

http://www.alexaao.com/#delivery#!/tproduct/140058070-1497456130776

Same as in the EUC manufacture, competition is key to improvement, methink.

Competition= great for the customer, Not so much for the business owner. Interesting things for sure, but I don't speak Russian even the slightest. Still no damn Mten covers either!! I'm happy and content with the quality and price I paid for my rollnz cover. @The Fat Unicyclist offers exceptional service as well. But, I am still foaming at the mouth for an Mten cover, so the game is still afoot!

Cool Find, thans for sharing it @gena

• Like 1