I made a Custom Gotway Monster!

@Arbolest

Cybertruck:) I love aesthetic design, with beautiful curves and interesting lines, but I also love functional design like this. Serviceability trumps beauty when you need a tire change.

How is it to ride compared to the original Monster, and what is that trolley handle you have on the red Monster?

Awesome work man!

• Like 1

@Espen R

Thanks! :thumbup:

The ride is amazing. It feels like riding a Monster that is buzzed on coffee. It is quicker to react and more maneuverable, but takes more control to do things precisely. I think this is mostly because of the raised pedals. Because there is more mass on the wheel itself, as opposed to say in a backpack that you are carrying, it feels far more "planted" than a normal Monster. Small bumps and debris don't disturb it as much. It does, however, have more inertia! You need to tilt it more in turns or it will try very hard to "keep going straight" even if you don't want it to.

The trolley handle I have on the Monster is one that I took out of an old rolling suitcase and just zip-tied to the old Monster's frame (you can see the ties if you look closely at the pictures). It works fantastically and comes up to the perfect height for me when I extend it!

• Like 2

i sort of got similar idea (custom EUC ala SBU ala mountain aka muni) when i got an extra 67.2v board when i upgraded my mcm5 to 84v but donno where to mount the batteries & board so plan abandon :P

Spoiler

nimbus.thumb.jpg.1fe4f2df80d841eb13453055c890da07.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yuweng said:

i sort of got similar idea (custom EUC ala SBU ala mountain aka muni) when i got an extra 67.2v board when i upgraded my mcm5 to 84v but donno where to mount the batteries & board so plan abandon :P

Reveal hidden contents

nimbus.thumb.jpg.1fe4f2df80d841eb13453055c890da07.jpg

That sounds interesting but really hard to implement safely xD   You would need to firmware to only assist when you wanted it to...

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, stephen said:

Brilliant absolutely brilliant 😊 what else can I say 👍  I'd like to see some nice pics of the lighting please , well done on the project 👍👍

Thank you! :thumbup:

As soon as I can get someone to take some good photos and video of it at night I will post it, but my phone camera just CANNOT deal with the amount of light this thing puts out normally. It's too bright and I either get a black image with JUST the light well-defined, or a bright image with a huge flare where the light should be :facepalm:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stephen said:

Love the straight lines of the lighting 👍have you also got 2 main beam lights ,, it's so different and unique

Heheheh, the two main beams are dazzling. No way I can get a picture. They honestly seem to throw more light than the headlights on my car.

• Like 1

Such an amazing, ambitious design- from conceptualization to R&D to final construction is absolutely brilliant!

Your exceptional electrical and mechanical design layout coupled with your impeccable  workmanship is superb! Congratulations!  :cheers:

49841251652_9f62d8594d_b.jpg

49840420428_115b4fc139_b.jpg

• Like 3

Man that is freaking awesome looking! So damn easily serviceable too! You da man! If you'd work for $4 a day, Im sure one of these euc manufacturers could use you! The top reminds me of one of those old school cordless hand vacs...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Man that is freaking awesome looking! So damn easily serviceable too! You da man! If you'd work for $4 a day, Im sure one of these euc manufacturers could use you! The top reminds me of one of those old school cordless hand vacs...

:laughbounce2:

Hahahaha, I hadn't thought of it like that, but I suppose so! I was going for something like a bicycle seat that was a bit wider and more in keeping with the straight lines of the wheel in general.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EUC GUY said:

Bravo! Looks very unique. How long did this take you from the first idea to a finished project?

From very first  inkling that I wanted to make one? About 10 months all told, but I didn't actually start doing what I would consider "work" on it until mid-November (when I started making CAD drawings), so if I was in court I would say it's 5-ish months.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 3:05 AM, Arbolest said:

***There is an entire sub-story here in which I tried to figure out how to design the wheel such that the control board could be top-mounted, rather than on one of the sides, but I ended up deciding that without having Gotway make me a custom firmware for a specially-oriented board, it would just be safer not to get TOO experimental with it. ***

First of all this is truly a gem of a post and man final result is AWESOME! Congratulations, real master work there!

I am very interested in this part. What made you give up on the new board orientation? Did you simply decide not to do anything about it or were there specific reasons you gave up?

Again: congrats, awesome work!

• Like 1

For future builds it seems opensource alternative for the control boards is on the horizon. Stormcore VESC capable of running 84V systems is right now being tested as limited beta and will hopefully be available to public soon. There you can mount on top or on the side as you wish as it is you who is defining the axes. It also means you have to tune the PID yourself but it is not that hard. Mitch Lustig is already testing it on a monster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andress said:

For future builds it seems opensource alternative for the control boards is on the horizon. Stormcore VESC capable of running 84V systems is right now being tested as limited beta and will hopefully be available to public soon. There you can mount on top or on the side as you wish as it is you who is defining the axes. It also means you have to tune the PID yourself but it is not that hard. Mitch Lustig is already testing it on a monster.

That sounds fantastic and I can't wait! :clap3: