Custom power pads for KingSong 16X or others

11 hours ago, buell47 said:

Made my own power pads in one piece, no Kuji style. :efee612b4b:

(talking about the upper ones) 

Size: 275-300 x 100 x 30/10mm

Very nice work! :cheers:

• Like 2

looking great, can be great for other models as well?

What do you feel about long term use and wear?

I used this type of foam before for another project and noticed after a while it crumbles, especially when its real hot.

Maybe an idea would be to coat them with something so the foam doesn't come in direct contact with the rubbing of the inner knee?

I love the work you have done and how they turned out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These seem to be by far the highest quality pads i've seen here! Maybe you could start an R&D thread. I would be happy to participate. I'm sure theres lots of potential for pads to keep evolving and further amplify the skills of the rider. Just look at how far clipless pedals have come in the MTB world. 

Knowing EPDM i'm sure its one of the best materials out there in terms of grip, firmness and durability! Pity i couldnt find any where I live.

Do let me share a little trick I learnt while developing my own pads: Diaper Velcro!
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6EaTkH

It's soft and thin, does not scratch your legs when riding padless, does not add much bulk and very secure. You will thank yourself for using this when you need to disassemble the wheel. Also allows you to use a variety of pads to fit the occasion.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, Ocelotflow said:

Maybe an idea would be to coat them with something so the foam doesn't come in direct contact with the rubbing of the inner knee?

Don't know how well raw EPDM stands up against rubbing but my own pads are upholstered in high quality fake leather. Helps with grip and have not worn out in perhaps 8 months. I don't pamper my pads either, they see plenty of rubbing against mud and concrete. (Cant remember how long I had my wheels for) 

Could be an option, but it's quite a bit of work! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

These seem to be by far the highest quality pads i've seen here!

11 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Do let me share a little trick I learnt while developing my own pads: Diaper Velcro!

I know this stuff too, but personally I am no friend of velcro. The next problem is that the adhesive mostly doesn't hold well on low surface energy materials and EPDM and the original 16X pad belong to this category. The tape I use is still holding well and can be removed without using any solvents.

32 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

You will thank yourself for using this when you need to disassemble the wheel.

I also don't intend to remove the pads when I want to get to the screws. :)
I have already taken precautions. The shitty Phillips screws have been replaced with allen screws M3x8 and remain in the case when disassembling.

I just need a thin needle to find the hole in the case, a nail to prick it and then I put the 3mm allen key through the pad and loosen the screws. In the end there is almost nothing left to see except a tiny dot. :)

29 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

It's soft and thin, does not scratch your legs when riding padless

It will never happen again. :efee612b4b:

32 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Also allows you to use a variety of pads to fit the occasion.

But for testing purposes this would be very practical. :)

29 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Don't know how well raw EPDM stands up against rubbing but my own pads are upholstered in high quality fake leather. Helps with grip and have not worn out in perhaps 8 months. I don't pamper my pads either, they see plenty of rubbing against mud and concrete. (Cant remember how long I had my wheels for)

If you cover it with leather or something else there are always these thick humps at the corners and that doesn't look flush enough to me when you glue it to the wheel. I am very fussy about this, that's why this version was made from a single piece.

33 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Could be an option, but it's quite a bit of work! 

Surely an option if you don't mind the humps on the backside at the corners, but I don't think anybody would want to pay for it anymore if they had to cover it with leather as well. Even if you can save time with the finish, because nobody sees it anyway. :efee612b4b:

• 4 weeks later...

buy extra, get sharp tools, and be ready for a lot of elbow grease.... I bought a sheet of foam and was floored by the price of it. I bought 1.5" thick and it is too thick for me. I wound up splitting it down to 3/4" and it barely fits under a rollNZ cover. I'd guess that 1" foam is the better choice. I also chose some with 11psi compression, I would suspect that anything between 6-11psi is good, 11psi  being pretty stiff. If i wasnt a tinkerer with more time than sense, I'd just buy @buell47 pads and call it done. HOwever, my needs require them fit under foam and it would be a shame to have his shipped across the world, only to hide them. Tbh, I made some that worked fine(not nearly as nice as buell's), tho havent gotten around to using them as they got removed and sit here collecting dust.  Don't underestimate the time and pita it is to work with this stuff, tho it doesnt take much for specialty tools at least.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

@ShanesPlanet has already mentioned it, special tools are not necessarily required. Sharp knife blades, sandpaper and lots of time. :efefc8626c:

Various machines as shown in the picture above will do some work for you. But in the end the result depends on your skills. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

@ShanesPlanet has already mentioned it, special tools are not necessarily required. Sharp knife blades, sandpaper and lots of time. :efefc8626c:

Various machines as shown in the picture above will do some work for you. But in the end the result depends on your skills. 

Good job, where did you get the sheet from, looked and there are loads about but not sure if they are the same or not.

1 hour ago, Delmeekc said:

Good job, where did you get the sheet from, looked and there are loads about but not sure if they are the same or not.

Sheet? You mean the EPDM Foam? Yes there are countless varieties. I order the EPDM here from a German supplier.

Specs:

Shorehärte 00: 40 +/- 20°
Shorehärte A (DIN 53505): 5° - 10°
Stauchhärte nach ASTM D 1056 (25%): 50 - 60 kPa
Stauchhärte nach NF R99 211-80 (50%): ca. 120 kPa

• Like 1

• 1 month later...