Recommendations for Ks16s

Daley1

Anyone with any recommendations for a new tyre for a Ks16s.I ride on the road as a daily commuter but find the original tyre not so good in the wet/offroad.My MTB has as combi- 50% road/50%offroad tyre which seems to do the trick.Maybe a fatter one?:confused1:

A 16x2.125” is the only size that’ll fit without modification, but some of us have modified the 16S to fit a 16x2.5” tire. Me included. It mostly adds stability, but I think it works better in wet off-road as well.

Which tire the current one is, brand and model? The 16S has been manufactured with a few different ones along the way.

That is overall a pretty good tire, but indeed it doesn’t have very much in terms of tread depth or complexity. Tires that you should find having a better grip are for example CST C-1488, Kenda (don’t remember model), ChaoYang H-5167.

The problem is that the tires are often not sold by the model but only by size, and the product photo is also often of a different tread pattern. So unless the exact model is specified, you need to confirm from the seller that you would receive the actual tire that’s in the photo.

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

That is overall a pretty good tire, but indeed it doesn’t have very much in terms of tread depth or complexity. Tires that you should find having a better grip are for example CST C-1488, Kenda (don’t remember model), ChaoYang H-5167.

I was somewhat dissatisfied to my KS 16S original tire, because it felt kinda non-responsive and slippery. Then I looked for a CST C-1488 after reading some @mrelwood articles, and found a AliExpress seller, who had those even in size 16x2.125

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813716312.html

However, the seller told me that while he has CST C-1488, he recommended a CST C-1737 instead: "because now here in my wearhouse ,16X2.125 c1488 is Thinner, lighter, generally used for ordinary bicycles but 16x2.125 C1737 is thicker and heavier, harder,generally used in electric cycle"

H8c0632deb1df46e6be4f68f717c71619u.jpg

The CST C-1488 above and the CST C-1737 below

So, I ordered the CST C-1737 instead. I have been riding it for some time now, and am pretty satisfied. The tire is quite thick, rigid and resposive. At least when compared to the original tire, which I had to pump into 3bar (about 45 PSI)  before it stopped feeling mushy.  Now I have about 2,4 bar (34 PSI) to get the same feeling and responsiveness. But once again, these are just personal feelings. Some like hard tires and some not

But, the main thing is that this new tire has a pretty nice  grip. Even when driving over cliffs and wet roads, it feels safer than the original one. Once again, just an opinion. Haven't done any scientific analysis :-)

But to summarize my all too long post: I don't think You can go wrong with either CST C- 1488 or CST C-1737!

-Z-

Edited by Zwheeler
typo
  • Like 1