V5f acting up, why is this happening?

Albatross

Hi all,

Brand new member here. Bought a used and beat up v5f.  Got it today and spent an hour or so in a grassy area and then in my drive way going back and forth using my car as a crutch. Definitely see progress in an hour. Then suddenly the wheel started jerking and making crazy noises.  I can’t even shut it off with the power button. Have to do a reset or pick it up and it spins for a sec and then shuts off. Here’s a video. Can someone help?  I really hope this is an easy and fast fix. I’m definitely bombed out. Was having such a cool time learning. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cce1YpMUSvK8nT216

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albatross said:

then in my drive way going back and forth using my car as a crutch.

Doing a "pendulum"? The stopping and change  in acceleration can is a very high burden and can kill the electronics...

2 hours ago, Albatross said:

I really hope this is an easy and fast fix

Does not seem so in your video... :(

Maybe someone experienced with v5f has some tips/ideas!

3 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Doing a "pendulum"? The stopping and change  in acceleration can is a very high burden and can kill the electronics...

Does not seem so in your video... :(

Maybe someone experienced with v5f has some tips/ideas!

Not sure what you mean by pendulum, I just went from one end to my car to the other and back, while holding on to it. 

• Like 1

uhh.. probably not an easy fix, no... that wheel looks like its been to hell and back i personally would never step foot on it... however its probably repairable since the battery and motor are probably fine. first thing you need to do, take off the side panels and check the inner shell integrity and check all screws anchoring it to the pedal arms, if they are all fine then move on to the board as the next thing, check for signs of physical damage, burnt connectors, mosfets, fuse, color coded connectors.. post pictures of each part here.. hopefully you wouldnt have to replace the board but im afraid thats likely

• Like 2

looks like the control board or encoder or what ever you guys call the sensor that reads motor movement or the wires going to the sensor. Given that the thing won't tun off I am thinking control board. Did it get wet? 

I guess something could have come loose and unplugged or damaged  wires.

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

Before doing anything, I would make sure to have the wheel fully charged with 5 hours balancing of the cells, that is 5 hours after getting the green light of the charger. ATTENDED charging, keep an eye on it!

I would then measure the battery voltage with the Inmotion app or Wheelog. Anything under 82V is suspect. 

Ideally  you should see close to 84 Volts.

Even if it passes the test DO NOT RIDE on it yet. Try to bring it back to 3 bars and see if this happens again.

Edited by pico

Can you hook an app to it and see what the voltage is? I don't think this is a battery issue, I'd be more willing to bet its a control board problem. How familiar are you with the seller? For one thing... I would NOT stand on it. Tho it seems broken, this is exactly why you must NOT trust it. If it decides to take off like a rocket, its still a lot of power to handle and could prove dangerous. ANYTIME your wheel is acting strangely, perhaps being away from cars and not standing on it, would be a good idea. Best of luck to you, I'm sure this saddens you to no end. How good a deal you got on it, remains to be seen at this point :(

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Can you hook an app to it and see what the voltage is? I don't think this is a battery issue, I'd be more willing to bet its a control board problem. How familiar are you with the seller? For one thing... I would NOT stand on it. Tho it seems broken, this is exactly why you must NOT trust it. If it decides to take off like a rocket, its still a lot of power to handle and could prove dangerous. ANYTIME your wheel is acting strangely, perhaps being away from cars and not standing on it, would be a good idea. Best of luck to you, I'm sure this saddens you to no end. How good a deal you got on it, remains to be seen at this point :(

Yes, I agree not to trust it. Luckily the seller, who is a forum member here is being a stand up guy and I’m sending it back to him tomorrow. I’m very sad about this situation, about the seller having to deal with it and about me being so close to having my first wheel.  ☹️

unfortunate but a big KUDOS to the seller for staying involved. Voltage can do some very funny things. It wasnt a bad suggestion by @pico to verify that low charge isnt the cause. Not to mention its as easy to do as plugging it in. If it was working fine and then this happened all a sudden, checking votage via an app, or giving it a quick charge for an hour, seems very reasonable. Just sayin', maybe give that a shot before spending any money or time shipping/meeting the seller. Fwiw, 99% of the time when Ive bought used in the past, the sellers were just your typical person and was a help, as this kind of thing benefits noone. Keep us updated.. I guess the real question is "Did you get just enough a taste that you are headed for the euc virus and you can't stop it?"

*pendulum is the act of going back and forth in a very small area, to mimic staying in place. Rather than dismount, some people "pendulum". It eats batteries and generates heat if you do it too long and too fast. No worries, I dont think tis much an issue with VERY new riders. After a lot of riding, i can still barely do it on the little mten, let alone the heavier 18L.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

unfortunate but a big KUDOS to the seller for staying involved. Voltage can do some very funny things. It wasnt a bad suggestion by @pico to verify that low charge isnt the cause. Not to mention its as easy to do as plugging it in. If it was working fine and then this happened all a sudden, checking votage via an app, or giving it a quick charge for an hour, seems very reasonable. Just sayin', maybe give that a shot before spending any money or time shipping/meeting the seller. Fwiw, 99% of the time when Ive bought used in the past, the sellers were just your typical person and was a help, as this kind of thing benefits noone. Keep us updated.. I guess the real question is "Did you get just enough a taste that you are headed for the euc virus and you can't stop it?"

*pendulum is the act of going back and forth in a very small area, to mimic staying in place. Rather than dismount, some people "pendulum". It eats batteries and generates heat if you do it too long and too fast. No worries, I dont think tis much an issue with VERY new riders. After a lot of riding, i can still barely do it on the little mten, let alone the heavier 18L.

I am F&$ing Hooked!!!

• Like 2