Firmware 2.02 for KS16X

travsformation

5 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

I try yesterday field test 1.07 vs 2.02 hard mode ( feel very similar i can confirm 2.02 warning me 4 beeps or caution overpower often compare to 1.07) you can have various feel/results  important is make good calibration after FW change. Other person help me blind test FW 1.07 and 2.02 objectively on hard pedal i not recognize what is what. 

Person/rider try make fake  me 3x same FW 2.02(i dont know this) only change he made was calibration. (he not update FW just make calibration 3x from hand not precise) and i say 1.07 2.02 1.07 nope all time same fw 2.02 but calibration can make hudge diference in  "feel". After all this i prefer precise calibrated 1.07. 

Soft mode i try slalom around concrete cones near big shopping park. Results 1.07 usable for me not ideal turning compare to hard mode for shure. After FW change to 2.02 i go test again and firstime in my life i hit concrete cone because 16x not react in time this soft mode "lag" make me hit pedal/footplate and i fall to my hands front now i can use my right hand and shoulder with pain it was 6km/h "crash only" no drama just pain.  For traveling is both 1.07 and 2.02 soft mode nice smooth ride i am not adapted to use soft in precise turning etc.

I 100% respect riders who prefer medium or soft mode is about where and how is EUC used.

Medium  pedal mode is good compromise maybee 2.02 feel harder compared to 1.07.

In theory i can say 2.02 is "too hard on hard mode"

But after blind test results. Calibration is key maybee is 1.07 same like 2.02 only diffrence is how good/precise you calibrate i was shocked how big difference calibration make.

------------------------------------------      

In the attached topic are the results I stand for, it's not just impressions and theories like yesterday's field test.(all FW was tested after high precise calibration)

Guess then it comes to a conclusion that fw 1.08 was different from both 1.07 and 2.02 in terms of feel. I have upgraded without a doubt that 2.02 would be only a name change from 1.08, but now 1.08 is nowhere to be found :/ Only thing I wasnt satisfied was the brakes but now Ive lost even that lighter turn and feel of 1.08. Ive never scraped my pedals on 1.08 but on 2.02 I scraped it with very short turn as pedals dont tilt up on turns anymore. 

1.08 must be stable because KS give this like "stock" FW to new ks16X. @DannyK Try make precise calibration maybee you be surprised. 1.08 i not test in time when i make "big" testing 1.08 was not avaiable. Can be intrested read 1.08 description and patch notes.

34 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

1.08 must be stable because KS give this like "stock" FW to new ks16X. @DannyK Try make precise calibration maybee you be surprised. 1.08 i not test in time when i make "big" testing 1.08 was not avaiable. Can be intrested read 1.08 description and patch notes.

Overall ppl here think 2.02 feels more stable than 1.08 and brakes are bit better. I wasnt sure about brakes yet but I agree with stability. Maybe its due to the more solid feeling the pedals and motor is giving. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DannyK said:

Overall ppl here think 2.02 feels more stable than 1.08 and brakes are bit better. I wasnt sure about brakes yet but I agree with stability. Maybe its due to the more solid feeling the pedals and motor is giving. 

Yeah, 2.02 is way better for my new KS16X (shipped with 1.08). When I got my KS16X a few weeks ago I could feel a ratchet effect from the motor at low speed and it felt very weak and hesitant from stand still. It got smooth at about 15mph. Now 2.02 feels fast, sharp and strong at every speed. Although, I am quite scared of going above 25mph because of all the high speed problems with this wheel, even though the wheel feels so fast and powerful even at 28. Does anyone trust this wheel to do 30mph with newest board and FW?!

37 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yeah, 2.02 is way better for my new KS16X (shipped with 1.08). When I got my KS16X a few weeks ago I could feel a ratchet effect from the motor at low speed and it felt very weak and hesitant from stand still. It got smooth at about 15mph. Now 2.02 feels fast, sharp and strong at every speed. Although, I am quite scared of going above 25mph because of all the high speed problems with this wheel, even though the wheel feels so fast and powerful even at 28. Does anyone trust this wheel to do 30mph with newest board and FW?!

Mines April 2020 batch that came with 1.08. I shoot 50kph until the alarm and hard pedal tilt back every single time since its just so easy to reach that speed with this wheel. Ive not had any cut out or the feel of getting close to it just yet. Motor felt powerful enough to manage even more even at the top speed. Hope that cut out doesnt happen in the future for me though. I believe those cut outs happened probably because their mainboard was faulty or not optimized etc or KS hasnt done a good job with matching the motor power with control board so error occurs in a few units?..

Ive got no idea but one thing Im sure is that I cannot feel the motor getting too worked up at the top speed 50kph. It can definitely pull off more but software simply doesnt allow it.

Anyways 2.02 being overally better than 1.08 according to users, I wonder if that means 1.07 was better than 1.08 since ppl that went over from 1.07 seems like they couldnt really find any difference. And I really wonder how great this 1.05 was and whether I can experience the same thing on the new motherboard v1.5 even if I downgraded.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DannyK said:

And I really wonder how great this 1.05 was and whether I can experience the same thing on the new motherboard v1.5 even if I downgraded.

I used Softuner to downgrade from 1.08 to 1.05, thinking 1.05 was great because everyone said so. Not the case on my new KS16X. 1.05 was terrible. Same low speed stutter and delay in acceleration and braking too was weak. Then I found 2.02 the next day and now its a totally different wheel. Perfect! Very smooth like a Gotway, but with tighter control and faster response. Very fun, more fun than KS18XL (FW2.0). Also strangely, FW1.08 was not listed in Softuner, just:  1.01   1.05   1.07   2.02.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I used Softuner to downgrade from 1.08 to 1.05, thinking 1.05 was great because everyone said so. Not the case on my new KS16X. 1.05 was terrible. Same low speed stutter and delay in acceleration and braking too was weak. Then I found 2.02 the next day and now its a totally different wheel. Perfect! Very smooth like a Gotway, but with tighter control and faster response. Very fun, more fun than KS18XL (FW2.0). Also strangely, FW1.08 was not listed in Softuner, just:  1.01   1.05   1.07   2.02.

Dang..so we cant find that rocket 1.05 fw anywhere now with v1.5 board.. Oh well gotta get along with what we have now! But I somewhat still feel acceleration was tiny bit faster on 1.08? Maybe thats due to the pedals getting harder on 2.02 like gotways. Brake performance i do think 2.02 peforms better though! 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, stephen said:

I like the update gives us some flexibility 

Wait you can adjust the shutdown angle on 2.02? Game changer!!! No more shut offs riding sideways on a quarter pipe!?!?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nimbus2000 said:

Wait you can adjust the shutdown angle on 2.02? Game changer!!! No more shut offs riding sideways on a quarter pipe!?!?!

Will be able to...as soon as KS provides an option to do so in the app... :efef2e0fff:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nimbus2000 said:

whats a shutdown angle? Is it angle that wheel shuts off the gyro when leaned to the side too much?

9 minutes ago, DannyK said:

whats a shutdown angle? Is it angle that wheel shuts off the gyro when leaned to the side too much?

No it shuts down if you lean to far forward or backward, but just above 45 km/h.
This has always been the case and now there seems to be a simple solution. :roflmao:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DannyK said:

Correct. Lateral shutdown angle (meant as a safety feature so the wheel knows when you've fallen off and can disengage the motor, but can be an issue in skateparks, for example)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nimbus2000 said:

This would be absolutely amazing to have implemented for the 16x and 18x series. Once enabled, we can add Kingsong to the list of wheels that do the 'gotway dance'.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, buell47 said:

No it shuts down if you lean to far forward or backward, but just above 45 km/h.
This has always been the case and now there seems to be a simple solution. :roflmao:

Leaning forward and backwards is accleration and deceleration isnt it? I dont think this shutdown angle is something to do with overlean cut out.

15 hours ago, travsformation said:

Correct. Lateral shutdown angle (meant as a safety feature so the wheel knows when you've fallen off and can disengage the motor, but can be an issue in skateparks, for example)

ok well thats not been an issue for me I never shut off my wheel with short turns so but it sounds like itd be safer to be able to set it to lower angles

2 minutes ago, lioku said:

So I became curious enough to give 2.02 a try.

My 16X is one of the 2nd batch with the original v1.4 main board. It's had 1.07 installed for months, so I know the feel of that firmware really well.

This afternoon I upgraded to 2.02 via the SoftTuner app, calibrated the wheel level, adjusted the shutoff timing, and went for a 25 mile ride around the city. At first the feel was very similar to 1.07, but I noticed a difference when braking down steep hills. The wheel feels a bit stronger/controlled and inspired more confidence in that situation than I was used to with 1.07. In other respects there isn't much difference. Just for some context, I usually ride under 25mph in very hilly San Francisco areas, so the improvement in downhill braking, however slight, is actually a big deal to me. I'm going to be keeping 2.02 installed.

Is that Jacob? Glad your liking it, I switched from 1.08 to 2.02 and I wasn't experiencing the same deceleration issues I was having before, I still prefer breaking on 1.07 but I also titled my pedals up a few degrees and the acceleration is phenomenal! Ide recommend adjusting the pedals just a bit for downhill breaking.

• Like 2

I should also mention that I ride primarily on the "medium" ride mode. I don't have enough experience on the hard or soft settings to really tell the difference on those.

2 hours ago, Nimbus2000 said:

Is that Jacob?

Hah no my name's Ryan. Perhaps I'll try playing with the pedal tilt now that there's a setting for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The second thing that sticks out is that the battery usage on 2.02 is higher than 1.05 by about 15-20%. This could be due to the pedal stiffness though.

I'm riding first batch 1.4 board and 1.05 fw.  I never wanted to upgrade to 1.07 due to the additional throttling, but wish I had the newer firmware's other refinements. I'm intrigued by 2.02 as it's looking pretty solid, but this battery usage statement is scaring me off. I feel if one decides to ride a bit more aggressive on the new firmware, their range could be more limited.  At 150lbs I'm getting near 50 miles on my wheel and I don't want to sacrifice any range.

• Like 1

I think the times are over where you have to struggle for months with the question, do I update or not. We now have the freedom to test a different firmware every minute and can go back. So why think? I did it too and drove up and down the road and then took the latest firmware again after I convinced myself. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

I'm riding first batch 1.4 board and 1.05 fw.  I never wanted to upgrade to 1.07 due to the additional throttling, but wish I had the newer firmware's other refinements. I'm intrigued by 2.02 as it's looking pretty solid, but this battery usage statement is scaring me off. I feel if one decides to ride a bit more aggressive on the new firmware, their range could be more limited.  At 150lbs I'm getting near 50 miles on my wheel and I don't want to sacrifice any range.

Perfect! Same config as me then.
Give it a shot and let us know how it goes! Switching FW is totally painless.

• Like 3