Firmware 2.02 for KS16X

travsformation

INteresting.. I LOVE the 2.0 fw for my 18L. Im not sure which I'd rather, load a new unproven firmware from Kingsong (while the current works great), or play Russian Roulette? I think I'll wait until someone else rolls the dice on this for a while. Updating to 2.0 brand new was almost too much excitement for one year already. Being able to adjust pedal tilt sounds cool, but what is the advantage? If you tilt forward, won't that undermine braking or vice versa? Perhaps loading in a 1degree tilt would be beneficial and you'd only have to flip the wheel around, to enjoy it for downhill? I dunno, I'll excitedly wait for the reports to come in and an "all clear" from Seba. Good stuff either way! Glad to see that Kingsong is still hard at work.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

INteresting.. I LOVE the 2.0 fw for my 18L. Im not sure which I'd rather, load a new unproven firmware from Kingsong (while the current works great), or play Russian Roulette? I think I'll wait until someone else rolls the dice on this for a while. Updating to 2.0 brand new was almost too much excitement for one year already. Being able to adjust pedal tilt sounds cool, but what is the advantage? If you tilt forward, won't that undermine braking or vice versa? Perhaps loading in a 1degree tilt would be beneficial and you'd only have to flip the wheel around, to enjoy it for downhill? I dunno, I'll excitedly wait for the reports to come in and an "all clear" from Seba. Good stuff either way! Glad to see that Kingsong is still hard at work.

There's always a risk involved involved in firmwaer updates, even stable ones... :whistling:

photo-2020-04-29-02-39-35.jpg

I haven't tried this upgrade on the 18XL yet, but from what I hear, there are no apparent changes in wheel behavior, just the pedal tilt (although I'm looking forward to seeing whether they've corrected wonky headlight bugs...). I haven't played much with pedal tilt (a little on my V8, looks like KS is trying to catch up with IM in every way), but was never too fond of forward tilt. It makes accelerating effortless (forward weight distribution = permanent acceleration unless you lean back), which some people enjoy on flat terrain/uphill, but I don't like the effect on braking (requires more effort) and turning---although the latter might just be me, I don't feel comfortable with the forward tilt when turning, it brings pedal dip to mind and makes me feel unsafe; I prefer a touch of backward tilt, I feel more confident in curves and more glued to the pedals in that I don't feel like my feet are going to slip forward on bumpy terrain. But that's the beauty of it is that you can adjust on the fly...

Is it worth upgrading? At this point, until official release, probably not, especially if you're perfectly content with your wheel as is. If it ain't broke....

If I were in your situation I'd wait 'til it's official, should you want to upgrade your firmwaer. And if you're not comfortable with KS's app, I hear EUC World offers a fool-proof FW upgrade process (and Premium users can downgrade if they don't like the new FW) ;)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, johnyz89 said:

You can adjust pedals tilt on 18(X)L on 2.00 firmware, only thing you need is new app.

Unfortunately, you can't. The option is there, the app lets you move the slider but it has not effect...

4 hours ago, Sertified said:

Where can I find the soft tuner app for Android? 

The KS SoftTuner app available to iOS users is actually KS's engineer app, which was not meant for regular users, but is now being made available to iOS users due to the lack of a normal KS app on the App Store. This is a temporary measure until a definitive KS app is released. The SoftTuner app isn't available for download on Android. Users who have it have mostly received it from their distributors to solve FW issues, revert to previous FWs, etc. 

• Like 1

Created a separate thread for this same FW version for the 18L & 18XL; same FW nomenclature but different wheels, so not necessarily the same FW (especially considering that the legacy 2000W versions don't have the same motor, speed throttling, etc.)

I have 18xl king song.King Song seems to be doing too much firmware.:shock2:
I understand how you want to deliver a better version (upgrade, process) to your customers,:clap3:....but as an experienced firmware upgrade, it's frankly scary. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Did some off-roading yesterday and keep getting the impression that braking is a bit better. Torque delivery on slow-speed hill-climbs also feels a little smoother and more dependable/effortless, but if this is the case and not a result of forgetting what the wheel felt like (lockdown, etc.), it's subtle, as in to be sure, I'd have to go for a ride, downgrade to 1.0.7 on the spot and keep riding....which regardless of whether I do it or not, is an indicator of how subtle the change is...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Did some off-roading yesterday and keep getting the impression that braking is a bit better. Torque delivery on slow-speed hill-climbs also feels a little smoother and more dependable/effortless, but if this is the case and not a result of forgetting what the wheel felt like (lockdown, etc.), it's subtle, as in to be sure, I'd have to go for a ride, downgrade to 1.0.7 on the spot and keep riding....which regardless of whether I do it or not, is an indicator of how subtle the change is...

Downgrade to 1.05! :roflmao:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

Looks identical to me with 1.0.7 and my speed limits was under more load. 

In that case, changes seem to be simply in the pedal tilt department (stolen Inmotion tech) :roflmao:

I don't understand the fuss (upon release) about the 16X's speed throttling. 39 km/h at 22% battery is very respectable: almost 80% of its battery capacity it can be ridden at 40 km/h or more. Considering the range this thing gets (if you don't hotdog it too much), unless you're a speed daemon who often forgets to top off, I think those figures are pretty good. Or was this not the case with earlier FWs?

I reckon I should give 1.0.5 a try... @DjPanJan, @Mike Sacristan what kind of speed throttling numbers are you getting on 1.0.5?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

People's experiences on the forum differed when changing another newer 1.5 motherboard to the same firmware. I want these facts to be heard here.
My 16X will come back 5.5.2020 with a new 1.5 board (for 1.4) with warranty repairs so I'll be able to compare and I'll let you know.

I'm curious. With me, it was a difference like day and night with the same firmware 1.0.7. If that's not the case with you, I've done 1,200 km on a faulty board since I bought it. :efee612b4b:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

I am limited 43 tiltback 40 km/h deacelerate alarm. Im 260+ lbs/119kg geared. Fine si 45km/h tilt 43 km decelerate. Pedals Hard is best(universal). Medium for asphalt ride 35+ and hillclimb (i use eucworld only). 1.05 if you charging brake led blinking nonstop.

1.07 medium pedal  is 1.05 hard.

I wouldn't take down the 1.05 hype I've been using 1.05 since the beginning it was my FW from production. With the 1.4 motherboard, most KS16Xs produced after 2019.11.25 have a 1.5 motherboard and were delivered with a FW of 1.07. People's experiences on the forum differed when changing another newer 1.5 motherboard to the same firmware. I want these facts to be heard here.
My 16X will come back 5.5.2020 with a new 1.5 board (for 1.4) with warranty repairs so I'll be able to compare and I'll let you know.
Once 2.02 is official with patch notes, if they added features or improved maneuverability, I'll probably move on because changing the tilt of the pedals is practical, and I use it for inmotion as well.

Often check on 1.05 pedlal mode i dont know why sometime is set back to soft (default) maybee after charging or calibration im not sure what trigers this automatic change.Maybee eucworld triger this when i updating beta versions just check before ride.  ( i use only eucworld i no have any kongsong app in phone actualy)

Thanks for the info. Very good point on the relationship between FW and hardware (motherboard). :thumbup:

Mine's a 2nd batch, delivered in January 2019. I'm pretty sure it came with with 1.0.7 because I've never tried 1.0.5. While I was waiting for the 16X, KS pushed the 2.0 upgrade for the 18XL, which completely transformed the wheel; aside from making the wait much easier, when I received the 16X the power delivery and pedal stiffness felt similar and the overall riding feel was equally smooth and polished, so I never felt much of an urge to downgrade to 1.0.5.

The torque on the 16X is absolutely fantastic and I've never really felt the need for more (I'm not sure I'd even use it if I had it, TBH), and I have the general feeling (correct me if I'm wrong) that 1.0.7 is a safer FW, so as they say...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My main motivation for downgrading to 1.0.5 would be braking, but not if it's at the expense of safety. I'm not a speed daemon or a particularly aggressive rider and I never accelerate aggressively when above 40 km/h (which is my max. cruising speed but above my average), so 1.0.5 probably doesn't involve any extra risks for me (if @Mike Sacristan hasn't face-planted, I don't think I have anything to worry about) :efee612b4b:

But perhaps there are other under-the-hood changes (power delivery, safety margin, pedal stiffness, pedal dipping, overall riding dynamics, etc) that are worth taking into account; KS has been doing a good job at refining their FW lately, it's an odd time for me to consider downgrading (and to sidetrack my own thread devoted to upgrading from 1.0.7 to 2.02)  :efee612b4b:

I'm still tempted to try it, but the pedal hardness is a bit of a turnoff, I like my pedals as hard as I can get them! (I know, I know...buy a Gotway then....)

• Like 1