New Ex-Gotway wheel "Veteran"

Lukasz

I love it just as much as I hate it!! ..... and that is a lot! I like the exterior roll cage except that the plastic wraps around it!!. Kinda defeats  the purpose. A little more thought into visual flow would have helped. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Lucasz any idea of when we may see more about this wheel? Is this another pulse glider or will we see some pictures and maybe a price this sometime in the summer?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was excited to hear of this new wheel, but these videos are quit uninspiring. Competition is great, I agree, but with the design of the V11 and S18 and their new performance capabilities, this thing looks boring and has the boring stats to go along with it. I could forgive its mediocre looks for killer performance, like all Gotway wheels.

18650 is now passé due to the voltage sag in fast mount riding or just fast riding in-general. That battery weight is wild and really shapes the riding style and type of use. It's so heavy that pairing it with a 20" wheel is silly when a 22" or even 24" wheel would allow much more epic distance and comfortable journeys. The one thing I am holding out for is rider reviews. The Nikola, on paper was also a silly design, huge and heavy for a 16" or 17" wheel, but the tire and firmware choice Gotway made was brilliant and made for an incredible experience. So hopefully this Veteran Sherman has killer firmware that can't be seen in promo videos or spec sheets.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

competition is always good, gotway we'll have to step up or potentially drop price, 

Competition is not *always* good for us. It may depend on what type of user you are. If most people like beautiful wheels, speakers, funny gadgets and so on.. but you are not this kind of users, unfortunately for you the manufacturers will put these things standard on their products and you will pay it even if you will never use it. Sometime it is welcome that some manufacturers stick on the main features. I'm especially focused on range right now so I'm interested in the Veteran wheel. But if 3000Wh wheels become a standard in few years and if it is enough for my needs (I think so) perhaps I will have another opinion. Anyway, the main thing for us is to have something like a new wheels profile  

Edited by koto
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 4:55 AM, Lukasz said:

We may see soon new wheel  on the market called "Veteran" apparently based on the Gotway - there are some news that people previously working for Gotway wants to enter the market with interesting wheel which seems to be based on  MSX  construction in "Mad Max" style.  

• 20" (bigger rim and tire than in MSX
  • 3200wh battery
  • 100V
  • stronger motor than in MSX but no data known so far
  • stronger chassis with kind of external pipe protector
  • longer pedals
  • powerful front and back lights
  • some kind of display on the top of the wheel 
  • central mounted handle

I found no carrying handle (to carry the wheel up the stairs for example) visible - maybe the trolley handle will have ability to unlock only slightly. 

Veteran.PNG

IMG-20200426-WA0010.jpg

i think it's supposed to be lifted with the front or rear bar, i don't think the central trolley could survive to 32kg :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will R said:

@Michael Tucker is the use of 18650s really that much of a deal-breaker? Doesn't the 100v MSX use them, while still retaining the title of fastest stock wheel?

The issue is for how long can an 18650 keep up high current draw. @Afeez Kay toured the Gotway factor and spoke with the owner (Mr. Lim) and he showed the difference in internal resistance between 18650 and 21700. The 21700 cell was almost half the Ohms. The high starting resistance generates heat , which raises the resistance even more and the heat loss shows as inefficiency (faster loss of power (wattage) over the time operating). The 21700 has not only a bigger cell density in its package for more watt-hour, but also less internal resistance which stays cooler which keeps resistance from rising and will keep the voltage higher during high speed operation (a requirement for fast speed). The 21700 cell is not ground-breaking, but a welcome improvement!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

So i do not see any reasons for the points @Michael Tucker brought up (edit: in regard to 18650 vs 21700) - am i missing something? Hope i have no faults in my calculation.

I'm no expert in batteries, or electrical engineering, I'm only speaking from experience riding fast on paved mountain roads above 30mph with MSX 84V, Monster 100V, Nikola 100V. I ride watching my telemetry using the manufacturer apps, Wheelog, and EUC World, and direct wheel display on Nikola. Voltage sag is very real and important.

For this 18650 vs 21700 discussion I can only mix my results with others on this forum and Youtube, and the owner of Gotway (Mr. Lim) who choose 21700 for all new and future 100V wheels and showed on video the difference in resistance between the cells. For high-current draw applications that Gotway uses (and reported new high torque high speed Inmotion V11and Kingsong S18 application) 21700 is the chosen cell NOT 18650.

• 3 weeks later...