"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

On 9/14/2020 at 11:27 PM, shellac said:

Some fool eating asphalt riding their Sherman at 40+ mph on the FDR highway at night

I have to say, I know suspension is a new thing that just came out, but IMO any wheel that is capable of hitting 40 mph should have it. Not as a comfort issue but a safety one.

Imagine being in a car with no suspension being jostled around on those potholes, it would be horrible. In a non suspended euc it’s just dangerous. Maybe kinda dangerous with suspension also but probably less so.

Having a wheel that goes that fast without suspension is like putting the cart before the horse.

Don’t get my wrong, love the Veteran and probably going to order one, I just think suspension can’t come soon enough. My advice to anyone going that fast is to stick to perfectly smooth and already known asphalt. 

good point, but only is the rest of the machine is reliable as well. I would think that at the core of 'safety' reliable comes before comfort. All things being equal (which they aren't), you would be entirely correct.  As soon as I can get mine to work, I'll be trying to ride it to the next town. Im not sure whats more ludircous: during the day with cellhpne drivers in droves, or at night for the odd drunkard. Im thinking at night, IF the lights are decent. Maybe not tho, as I intend to take a 2 lane winding mountain road and they tend to be pretty dark and full of rocks at night.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but who else is noticing a severe amount of pedal dip forwards after completing 180 turns or more? Its pretty excessive on mine and I've already scraped pedals from it. Definitley an issue, but as long as it doesnt do that shit when Im at speed, it may not be a deal breaker. Freaking smooth as hell riding wheel. Ido think I hit 35 on my first 20 seconds of owning one. It felt more like 30kmh, so maybe it was. I dont see any setting to change it. I updated darknessbot, but it still says hardware not supported. I guess I'll have to update EUCW and try it next.:(

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

good point, but only is the rest of the machine is reliable as well. I would think that at the core of 'safety' reliable comes before comfort. All things being equal (which they aren't), you would be entirely correct.  As soon as I can get mine to work, I'll be trying to ride it to the next town. Im not sure whats more ludircous: during the day with cellhpne drivers in droves, or at night for the odd drunkard. Im thinking at night, IF the lights are decent. Maybe not tho, as I intend to take a 2 lane winding mountain road and they tend to be pretty dark and full of rocks at night.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but who else is noticing a severe amount of pedal dip forwards after completing 180 turns or more? Its pretty excessive on mine and I've already scraped pedals from it. Definitley an issue, but as long as it doesnt do that shit when Im at speed, it may not be a deal breaker. Freaking smooth as hell riding wheel. Ido think I hit 35 on my first 20 seconds of owning one. It felt more like 30kmh, so maybe it was. I dont see any setting to change it. I updated darknessbot, but it still says hardware not supported. I guess I'll have to update EUCW and try it next.:(

Soft mode feels very strange coming from an 84v msx. I always rode on medium on it which in comparison is rock hard. So I have the Sherman set on strong/hard mode and I haven't scraped too badly yet on tight 180s. Strong mode definitely keeps the pedals higher than medium. 

What exactly is the benefits of soft mode? Better battery life? I just don't understand why you'd want your pedals to dip like that. 

• Like 1

"This charger is intended for devices, such as the Nikola+ & MSP, with at least 96x cells configured in a 24s4p format. LG has a maximum rate of charge specification for this M50T cell of 3.4A @77°F (25°C)–113°F(45°C)–if charging at lower temperatures, the current level should be reduced to the 6A setting"

This is from the quick charger page on eWheels. Does this mean if the wheel is at room temperature (74f) it shouldn't be charged higher than 6a? Seems like you'd never be able to charge at higher speeds then unless you just finished a ride? 

Edited by MrRobot

3 hours ago, MrRobot said:

What exactly is the benefits of soft mode? Better battery life? I just don't understand why you'd want your pedals to dip like that. 

I haven't tried the Veteran's soft mode in particular, but in general soft mode is primarily a comfort feature that can greatly reduce foot/leg fatigue (at the expense of acceleration & braking), and secondarily some people just like the sensation of a more-pronounced pendulum feeling.

Keep in mind that differences in firmware implementation across brands and also a particular wheel's pedal height (put the opposite way/more importantly, the distance between the pedals and the axle) can make a drastic difference in how this works/feels, so soft mode can be a surprisingly different experience from one wheel to another.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

Inmotion V10f’s comfort mode is somewhere in-between Sherman’s soft and medium modes. I ride all the time in comfort mode, and I have started riding in Sherman’s soft mode and so far I am liking it. Didn’t like it at first and switched to medium, but soft mode is growing on me. I think depending on your riding mood, any of the modes are great. Still testing out soft mode so my opinion will be more concrete after putting at least 1000kms on it.

• Like 1

Hard/Strong mode makes my feet and legs hurt. It's like trying to do the Michael Jackson lean and holding it there. I prefer soft mode, not just for comfort but I feel more incontrol.

• Like 2

Thanks for the full breakdown @houseofjob that all makes sense I'll have to experiment with it more. 

On an unrelated note I'm cross posting this here just for maximum visibility so everyone sees it:

WARNING!!! 

I HIGHLY suggest anyone who hasn't yet to double check all the scews and make sure they're tightened and especially the pedals.

My pedals looked like they were tightened all the way but they were just loctited and only screwed in halfway. I definitely was able to tighten all 4 of the pedal bolts significantly more than they were. I suggest you untighten the pedals a good amount to break the loctite and then retighten them all the way to be sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrRobot said:

@houseofjob Did an endurance ride and rode the whole thing on soft mode. Long story short I don't think I'll be going back to hard mode :) once I got over the initial weirdness of the pedals dipping it was much easier to accelerate, keep a pace, and brake! 

Cheers!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gvhw6msrjse3l355bk

Just be careful, and remember to operate soft mode always on angles, one foot/leg emphasis at a time in alternation. I haven't gotten on my Shermona yet to see if the soft mode is as swingy as the demo, but note that certain soft modes, like on the Monster, have bigger swing travel than might be necessary or usable (and you can't swing infinitum unfortunately :D). But as you can control the pedal swing, I will emphasize stopping this overswing by straight stiff leg heel stabilizing with whichever foot and respective pedal is more behind me, back from the forward direction (had a standing "fall" incident over a usually harmless bump on my Monster that made me realize this overswing *smh).

(Also, forgot to note before, the one scenario that I do imagine hard mode is a better alternative than soft mode, is extreme uphills, as obviously, you want to be able to stay upright on such steep inclines, and this is the one weakness to soft mode I will admit. But, as I never really off-road and we don't have anything close to the steepness of hills in SoCal or the Bay Area, I'm sticking to my soft! - plus, you can always just switch back and forth modes)

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

.... and on another note (I swear I'll stop talking about my beloved soft mode :D)

Curious to see if anyone has a good explanation for the below:

A local NYC rider was talking about discrepancy in voltage readings for this first eWheels batch of Shwarma, so I broke out my multimeter.

Onboard & DarknessBot, relatively the same value ~99.2V

31i0rmF.jpg  ZOeVBGo.png

Battery Packs Direct, XT90, same for both at 98.7V

Rgp9tpW.jpg  AtJNJy0.jpg

Charge Port GX16-5, reading way lower with 95.6V

VG6V7DP.jpg

Can anyone explain why there's such a discrepancy?

The charge port difference is the larger (or smaller(?)) head-scratching value; dunno why it's so much lower, plus it seems to be directly plugged into the board, nothing between in the path.

(I know the full charge Vet voltage value has come up before, but not sure if this has; apologies if this has been posted before)

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

diode perhaps? I dont really know, i just wanted to know how you got yours to connect to Darknessbot. Mine connects to eucw fine, tho it doesnt change settings. DB just says hardware not supported (updated release).:)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

34 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

.... and on another note (I swear I'll stop talking about my beloved soft mode :D)

Curious to see if anyone has a good explanation for the below:

A local NYC rider was talking about discrepancy in voltage readings for this first eWheels batch of Shwarma, so I broke out my multimeter.

Onboard & DarknessBot, relatively the same value ~99.2V

31i0rmF.jpg  ZOeVBGo.png

Battery Packs Direct, XT90, same for both at 98.7V

Rgp9tpW.jpg  AtJNJy0.jpg

Charge Port GX16-5, reading way lower with 95.6V

VG6V7DP.jpg

The charge port difference is the larger (or smaller(?)) head-scratching value; dunno why it's so much lower, plus it seems to be directly plugged into the board, nothing between in the path.

(I know the full charge Vet voltage value has come up before, but not sure if this has; apologies if this has been posted before)

Hopefully it’s not an isolated issue with your wheel, my wheel pulls the same voltage on the charge port as the wheel reports,

Or the eWheels batch has some sort of diode in line? I know they love to make their little changes/“enhancements” compared to factory wheels.

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

diode perhaps? I dont really know, i just wanted to know how you got yours to connect to Darknessbot. Mine connects to eucw fine, tho it doesnt change settings. DB just says hardware not supported (updated release).:)

Yeah can't be a diode, as I'm measuring the port while the wheel is off, but I did think that before @Ben Kim informed me of the nature of the reverse diode.

DB-wise, I dunno, it just worked for me on my 11 Pro, iOS14 & latest DB 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Hopefully it’s not an isolated issue with your wheel, my wheel pulls the same voltage on the charge port as the wheel reports,

Or the eWheels batch has some sort of diode in line? I know they love to make their little changes/“enhancements” compared to factory wheels.

Operating fine so far, I guess I'll see when I put it through it's paces.

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I think it's a combination of factors. The voltage depends on where you sample the voltage in the circuit (due to resistance) and the accuracy of the reader. If you sample directly at the battery with the battery disconnected then it should be the most accurate. Whether it's a good thing to disconnect a battery like that, just to see if the voltage is what it says it is, is up to you. Personally, if the wheel wasn't misbehaving in any way, then I'd just leave it well alone.

• Like 1

Is the Sherman firmware upgradeable by the end user?  Like with a special cable or app.

I've had a MSuper V3 and never upgraded the firmware, but I don't think it was even an option. Before Darkness bot the app wasn't of much use.

-Roger

9 hours ago, roghaj said:

Is the Sherman firmware upgradeable by the end user?  Like with a special cable or app.

I've had a MSuper V3 and never upgraded the firmware, but I don't think it was even an option. Before Darkness bot the app wasn't of much use.

-Roger

No is primitive (old school) technology based control board EUC. (compared to inmotion / kingsong). Gotway not have update too and becasue veteran have "3 year old" gotway board logicaly you cannot update firmware easy way.

(i not own veteran im disapointed veteran burn under stress conditions Marty Backe OHH 1 try burn board  2 try(retry) Marty Backe hard cheated OHH test compared to standard one.

For me veteran is not capable OHH test this mean not good for people 100KG+ avoid this euc if you are heavy/big/fat rider.

Not capable 40 degree hill (wrongway! test).

Vetran sherman is fast euc with great range and inovative things (cage etc.) nothing more nothing less many people can love how is now.

Me not i hope they change some things(board)  close to perfect(safe) and after 6+ months or year Sherman can be my choice. This company need to grow up in time and continue on new batches EUC step by step to ideal EUC for all riders (include heavy 100+Kg /230 lbs+) .

How does e-wheels do the firmware update?  Swapping a chip?

Factory and larger importers do it with a sort of expensive serial port programmer, it can also be done with a smaller (Arduino based?) thingie. It connects where the BT module otherwise sits. For some mysterious reason Gotway (and ex) are very stingy with their binaries.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

Hey MrRobot

E-wheels says the wheel will come with some molded side pads to be attached near the top of the wheel.  Did you get yours from somewhere else or did you just choose to make Koji style ankle pads and skip the others?

-Roger

5 hours ago, roghaj said:

Hey MrRobot

E-wheels says the wheel will come with some molded side pads to be attached near the top of the wheel.  Did you get yours from somewhere else or did you just choose to make Koji style ankle pads and skip the others?

-Roger

I rode with the eWheels pads for about 5 miles and then took them off. I've never had pads that restrict your leg movement so I wasn't a fan. Maybe I'd like the official power pads more because it looks like they have more wiggle room. These had none for me. So I just stole the hack job kuji pads off my other wheel. 

Still looking for a more official solution to "jump pads" or kuji pads. Ironic because they mostly work best for me because they keep your feet from jumping off the pedals when you hit unexpected bumps. 

Anyone willing to sell their euc winglets?? Will pay for international shipping... 😭

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 3