"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

I’ve had mine for a few days now, it is production batch 1 and most have been said about it already. Here are a few observations though.

The ride reminds a lot of the 18XL in heavier: low pedals, lot of side housing for the legs.

The element that holds the front light isn’t soldered straight, which is a bit annoying. The overall workmanship is rather shabby.

The knobby isn’t that un-nimble, I’ll mostly change to street for the range though. Today I did 80km and had 60% battery left (not riding fast) which isn’t very impressive as it’s not far from what the 18XL did.

The knobby throws a lot of gravel and dust, the mudguard is quite necessary. I might even try adding a brush in there to stop some of the gravel going through the wheel well.

The trolley handle would be nice as aluminium like KS does, it currently feels very flimsy. (the stems are ok)

786C8FAE-A5E9-4434-99F4-F52C1938B797.jpeg

Edited by null
  • Like 2

Good morning, 

The Shermans have cleared Customs late last week, these first 100x Wheels will be shipped out on Wednesday/Thursday. 

If you're in a position to pay the remaining balance on your order (if not already paid), please use the link below to convert the deposit in a firm order. There are 20x of the street tires & 80x knobblies in this shipment, you can choose your tire preference from the dropdown—we'll also be offering these tires to purchase separately in a few weeks, should you want to try out the other tire type later on.  

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-veteran-sherman-20-100v-3200wh-battery-2500w-motor-1850-balance/

Pads & Charger:

These production Shermans are offered with a 100v/5A charger as standard equipment, along with a set of Veteran produced side pads. 

Accessories:

The seats & fenders are available to purchase from the links below as well—arriving in 3-4 weeks.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/veteran-fender/

https://www.ewheels.com/product/veteran-seat/

Thank you for your support & enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend.

The eWheels Team 

17 minutes ago, Shield said:

Same! :eff034a94a: They seemed to have more knobby tire versions available than I expected. Now the wait! :crying:

FYI they said with free shipping I could probably expect it by Monday (Chicago). 

See you on the roads soon 😉 let me know about meeting up for a group ride sometime! 

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrRobot said:

FYI they said with free shipping I could probably expect it by Monday (Chicago). 

That's good to hear since I didn't go for the expidited shipping. Though, A part of me wishes that I did. 

3 minutes ago, Shield said:

That's good to hear since I didn't go for the expidited shipping. Though, A part of me wishes that I did. 

It's really not worth it right now since none of the shippers are guaranteeing expedited delivery time frames.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shield said:

We've already waited how long.. What's another couple days 😂

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 1

eWheels Update 09-09-20

Hi Guys, sorry, there's a one day delay with getting the container, our warehouse advised they will be taking possession on Thursday night. 

We should be getting all the orders collected by EOD Friday, including those who had elected to go with the Express overnight shipping service.

Thank you,

Jason  
  • Like 2

I can wait a day or two, especially since all this trouble of getting the modifiactions on the ewheels for first batch. I was overjoyed to see it pass marty's hill test. Not that i plan to do that kind of thing, but it DOES mean they were listening and did make some changes... Its already colder here, but Im planning on a long maiden voyage ride at speed in gear, so colder wont be too bad.. You know, either i make it or I don't. Fun times ahead! Only worry is.. how the hell will my scrawny ass lift this 80lb beast of metal/plastic/batteries? I cant lift my supermoto either tho, and it never stopped me. Fed ex driver is gna be PISSED!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

On 9/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, null said:

I’ve had mine for a few days now, it is production batch 1 and most have been said about it already. Here are a few observations though.

The ride reminds a lot of the 18XL in heavier: low pedals, lot of side housing for the legs.

The element that holds the front light isn’t soldered straight, which is a bit annoying. The overall workmanship is rather shabby.

The knobby isn’t that un-nimble, I’ll mostly change to street for the range though. Today I did 80km and had 60% battery left (not riding fast) which isn’t very impressive as it’s not far from what the 18XL did.

The knobby throws a lot of gravel and dust, the mudguard is quite necessary. I might even try adding a brush in there to stop some of the gravel going through the wheel well.

The trolley handle would be nice as aluminium like KS does, it currently feels very flimsy. (the stems are ok)

786C8FAE-A5E9-4434-99F4-F52C1938B797.jpeg

Glad to hear it rides like the 18XL. Do you think your range is low as the battery is so new? SUrely you should be seeing quite a difference as it does have more batteries. I opted for the 'dirt' tire, as I plan on maintaining high speeds and saw somewhere that the street suffers cyclic vibrations near 40mph. Of course the knobby is loud, but it may also offer a little more give for a plush ride? Not a big deal, as both tires are available. I figured a muguard was priority. I ordered one, but of course I'll be covered in debris, long before it arrives. I can't imagine a trolley handle on an 80lb beast, lasting very long. What are the rails of yours made of? Sucks to hear that yet another chinese company is undermining the many hours and thousands invested in a product, by crap build practices. Don't these people know how to measure or make templates for anything? Jeez! It doesnt matter if its JUST the tab for a light or a simple nub on a plastic part. If you design it to be a certain way, fukn build it properly. Quit disrepecting the designers, you shit ass builders!   :furious:     Cmon guys, didnt you expect some fixation and insults from me....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

What is « long beep » warning?

I was just exploring seated riding and had to jump off in a turn, catching the wheel before it fell. In the middle of the action it made a long beep and stopped balancing. 

Anyone knows what this means?

Someone told me the second batch will have more waterproof bearings to prevent rusting... Unfortunate...

How would you go about siliconing/waterproofing the bearings exactly? Are there any guides on how this has been done on any other wheels? 

• Like 1

I would assume that the remedy would be to replace the bearings with quality bearings that can handle moisture? I too am wondering what people are doing for this? My sherman is otw. At $3k and 80lbs, Im viewing THIS wheel as a vehicle. I will have ZERO problems with having to spend a little to replace/upgrade/maintain it, when the time comes. High hopes for the sherman. At a cost more than the car ive been driving for a decade, it better be built like a brick shithouse. I had a dream last night that I used a ramp to roll it into the back seat of the '92 camry. I guess the weight of it has been on my mind a lot.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

How would you go about siliconing/waterproofing the bearings exactly? Are there any guides on how this has been done on any other wheels? 

There is not really that much you can do to weatherproof the wheels bearings if they are "Z" type (i.e. metal seal on one side & open on the other) by siliconing/waterproofing, unfortunately!  

The best solution would be to replace any "Z" type bearings with "RS" (rubber seal both sides) bearings!  The contact made by the lip of the rubber seal of "RS" bearings will keep moisture out and the grease/oil inside far more reliably (it is also the reason why Inmotion has just upgraded to an "RS" bearing for batch 2, after rusting issues were reported in batch 1). 

However having said that, any outwardly exposed surface of both the inner and outer races (with no impact on performance) may still be susceptible to surface rust if in regular contact with water/moisture!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fbhb said:

There is not really that much you can do to weatherproof the wheels bearings if they are "Z" type (i.e. metal seal on one side & open on the other) by siliconing/waterproofing, unfortunately!  

The best solution would be to replace any "Z" type bearings with "RS" (rubber seal both sides) bearings!  The contact made by the lip of the rubber seal of "RS" bearings will keep moisture out and the grease/oil inside far more reliably (it is also the reason why Inmotion has just upgraded to an "RS" bearing for batch 2, after rusting issues were reported in batch 1). 

However having said that, any outwardly exposed surface of both the inner and outer races (with no impact on performance) may still be susceptible to surface rust if in regular contact with water/moisture!

This is really not what I wanted to hear... How big of a deal do you think it will be? I do live in a very rainy and snowy area with heavy salt on the roads so I am quite concerned now 😬

A cheap and easy solution is just to put some Fluid Film on the exposed surfaces of the bearing and reapply a couple times a year if you ride in water much.  We've used it for years and it really does work to prevent corrosion. 91dsuMSZJ2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

This is really not what I wanted to hear... How big of a deal do you think it will be? I do live in a very rainy and snowy area with heavy salt on the roads so I am quite concerned now 😬

dont fret. surface rust on bearings wont stop you. Just be sure to ride it for a while after it gets wet. I rode for years on shit bearing on a skateboard as a kid. Aside from some noise, i kept rolling. I'd say to not worry over it and ride. Once it becomes an actual issue, just upgrade. Hell, the simple act of rolling, will polish the rust off the bearings. Just dont put it away wet and go unridden for weeks. If you do that, your title of euc rider may be revoked anyhow.  That 'fluid film' looks good, tho I wonder if it will attract dust? Id be more concerned of particles LARGER than rust tbh. Just remember.. if they make noise, it means you're rolling. If you're rolling, whats the concern here? SHerman shoulda put speakers on it so we couldnt hear the bearings. Now THATS a solution.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

dont fret. surface rust on bearings wont stop you. Just be sure to ride it for a while after it gets wet. I rode for years on shit bearing on a skateboard as a kid. Aside from some noise, i kept rolling. I'd say to not worry over it and ride. Once it becomes an actual issue, just upgrade. Hell, the simple act of rolling, will polish the rust off the bearings. Just dont put it away wet and go unridden for weeks. If you do that, your title of euc rider may be revoked anyhow.  That 'fluid film' looks good, tho I wonder if it will attract dust? Id be more concerned of particles LARGER than rust tbh. Just remember.. if they make noise, it means you're rolling. If you're rolling, whats the concern here? SHerman shoulda put speakers on it so we couldnt hear the bearings. Now THATS a solution.

Lol well I was assuming that rusty bearings would get less range... That would be my only real concern. 

Do you think Jason at ewheels would cover this type of thing if it ever became an actual issue? Or is it easy enough to do yourself if you ever needed to replace them? 

8 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

Lol well I was assuming that rusty bearings would get less range... That would be my only real concern. 

Do you think Jason at ewheels would cover this type of thing if it ever became an actual issue? Or is it easy enough to do yourself if you ever needed to replace them? 

if range suffers, i'd imagine you couldnt even call them bearings anymore. Noise and heat should be more a concern, as distance will be effected by much greater variables. I don't think I would expect Jason to warranty an item like a bearing that works but simply began to rust. I mean hell, can I get him to warranty everything for the next year as upgrades roll out? Not too fair to him imho. Imagine if the s18 carried that kind of warranty. You purchased it with the current parts, not upgrades. You can ask, but I think its hoping for a bit much. Has Jason even shipped any of these yet? Maybe HIS version already has the newer bearings. Im waiting on mine atm. If mine has the older bearings, I'll just ride until they get so loud I worry of failure. At that point, I'll go find QUALITY bearings and install them. Companies like ewheels and verteran, have to weigh the balance of cost fo parts. When I do upgrades, I wont give a rats ass and may just elect to go ceramic (would ceramic break too easily?) or titanium or who knows, as Im not bound by the business of being economically feasible. If bearings cost me $40 a set, its nothing but a thing. I can definitely see how a warranty claim would NOT include the best bearings on the planet. Once i replace the bearings once, itll be be even easier next time. Here's hoping it wont come to that, but i have ZERO doubt that my ability to correctly install bearings is going to be light years beyond what the hack at veteran is half assed doing. ( I know, cheap shot, but isnt that what you guys expect from me?)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

if range suffers, i'd imagine you couldnt even call them bearings anymore. Noise and heat should be more a concern, as distance will be effected by much greater variables. I don't think I would expect Jason to warranty an item like a bearing that works but simply began to rust. I mean hell, can I get him to warranty everything for the next year as upgrades roll out? Not too fair to him imho. Imagine if the s18 carried that kind of warranty. You purchased it with the current parts, not upgrades. You can ask, but I think its hoping for a bit much. Has Jason even shipped any of these yet? Maybe HIS version already has the newer bearings. Im waiting on mine atm. If mine has the older bearings, I'll just ride until they get so loud I worry of failure. At that point, I'll go find QUALITY bearings and install them. Companies like ewheels and verteran, have to weigh the balance of cost fo parts. When I do upgrades, I wont give a rats ass and may just elect to go ceramic (would ceramic break too easily?) or titanium or who knows, as Im not bound by the business of being economically feasible. If bearings cost me $40 a set, its nothing but a thing. I can definitely see how a warranty claim would NOT include the best bearings on the planet. Once i replace the bearings once, itll be be even easier next time. Here's hoping it wont come to that, but i have ZERO doubt that my ability to correctly install bearings is going to be light years beyond what the hack at veteran is half assed doing. ( I know, cheap shot, but isnt that what you guys expect from me?)

Thanks for the input. I don't really know anything about how they work. What you said makes sense. My other concern was if it did get some rust in it before replacing/upgrading them, what about the housing of the bearings? Would the rust/friction from the old bearing damage that?