"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

16 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Did you compare them at the place where your foot is the widest, aka right behind your pinkie knuckle?

I guess you compared the pedal at the widest place, sure there its about 10mm diff vs a tesla pedal (not sure if nikola pedals are wider?) If you use the pedal shaft as a marker.

BUT

If not im pretty sure they are NOT just a 1/4inch (6mm) less narrow. I have Tesla pedals (a bit smaller than Nikola) and they are 110mm wide all over the length. The Veteran seems to be roughly 70mm (slimmest at front and rear) where your toes normally hang down over the front edge (depends on foot length, but center of mass normally means toes go over edge unless small feet...im the opposite side aka big feet 45EU).

110-70mm= 40mm = 1.5"

Maybe your not troubled due to short feet and or narrow feet?

Lets say foot is SHORT so it fits somewhere between 70 and 100mm width wise....being really generous we say it hits pedal where it is 85mm wide, as that would make it roughly a 34-35EU size)

Tesla 110- Veteran 85 = 25mm = 1" (diff at the "not worst case scenario")

Maybe you could provide the meassurements as per image (i just estimated based on screen and a straight edge paper) :-)

I cant be the only one thinking of getting replacement pedals immediately when ordering and wonder. The Sherman peds are LONG (GOOD) but really NARROW (BAD) for us people with wider feet

Yes, you are correct. I compared the width in the center part of the pedal. All I can say is that they've been very comfortable to me and I didn't hear anyone else local who rode the wheel comment that they thought the pedals were too narrow.

Opinions vary though.

• Like 1

One-off tangent: the S18 pedals seemed similarly narrow like this in-person (not as wide as normal/previous King Song pedals)--I didn't measure though.

Edited by AtlasP

Interesting information on aftermarket charger bug. Also, noticed one again Speedyfeet removes the side panel without removing the pedals. 

Edited by Shield
Additional Comment
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Shield said:

Interesting information on aftermarket charger bug. Also, noticed one again Speedyfeet removes the side panel without removing the pedals. 

Yeah there’s a knack to it but it’s great you can do it (particularly useful as it’s a nightmare to take the pedals off with a standard Allen set).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FullTilt said:

Comparison of knobby vs street.

Great information! I am surprised at the street tire results. 

• Like 1

What he says is the street tire is “too sensitive” with turning above 30 mph. It does indeed look like from the footage though that he gets more speed wobbles with the street tire. 

Any ideas why the knobby tire would make a difference with speed wobbles? Doesn’t seem to make sense empirically. 

• Like 2

As far as I've grasped from various videos that knobby smoothes out the details (I guess by the knobs wiggling and adapting to the shapes) which reduces the precision but has a stabilising effect at high speed as it removes some of the sharpness that could have been disturbing / creating wobbles. Not allowing super sharp motion in itself probably reduces possibility for wobbles. (Just throwing out some thoughts, IDK)

Edited by null
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, shellac said:

What he says is the street tire is “too sensitive” with turning above 30 mph. It does indeed look like from the footage though that he gets more speed wobbles with the street tire. 

Any ideas why the knobby tire would make a difference with speed wobbles? Doesn’t seem to make sense empirically. 

Might be because the actual surface area that makes contact with the ground on the street tire comes to a rounded point whereas the knobby tire might be "flatter" with a wider ground contact area? 

Maybe a street tire that's less rounded would be better?

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 3

On 7/26/2020 at 8:26 PM, Shield said:

Great review.

guess eWheels better start changing his tire allocation to all Knobby based on this video. Not sure what’s worse, blowing a board on a 40 degree slope or wobbling at 45-50 mph. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shellac said:

I presume it's because the street tire approximates a curved contact surface, whereas the knobby tire is more like a faceted (or quantized) surface. At a certain angle a row a "teeth" on the knobby tire may have no, or negligable, road contact, but then you lean 1° more and they contact the road changing the dynamics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

guess eWheels better start changing his tire allocation to all Knobby based on this video. Not sure what’s worse, blowing a board on a 40 degree slope or wobbling at 45-50 mph. 

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned now. I was leaning toward the knobby but felt like I'd be content with a street if that's all that's left. Now, I'm really feeling like I want the knobby but the first batch of eWheels are 70% street tires. The knobby's will be all out by the time they get to me.

• Like 2

I'm thinking a different style street tire will perform better than the one Veteran is using. On one of my bicycles I use a hybrid (photo) street/trail tire that I really like. I understand the Knobby being used is technically a street tire but I'm wondering if anyone makes a hybrid will less aggressive treads similar to the one used on my bike.

s-l1000.jpg