"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

On 7/1/2020 at 10:23 AM, Mango said:

Dozens of new Veteran Sherman videos have been uploaded to Youtube from China. They're demoing to casual riders at night.

Taiwan, Republic of China

#letthetrollbegin :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

If we die crashing, that's nobody's fault but the riders.

I guess this is the only real statement i have a problem with.. Crashes many times involve more than 1 person or party.. Usually one who is at fault.. and one who is not.. (doesnt always work that way.. but a lot of times it does)

But please try and look out for others safety.. Its not always about you, or a knock on anyone's skills.. Nobody is perfect, people make mistakes and miscalculate all the time. 

I think the uptick in these conversations here are due to some of the videos kind of being posted out there and the time we are in. 

Any extra chance of putting anyone at risk of hospitalization right now is kind of out of touch. So many cringeworthy moments caught on camera these days.. I think people just dont want to see our EUC community get caught up in that as well. 

Please dont stop enjoying riding your wheel in any environment.. Just respect others around you is usually my general rule!

Very cool review! Hope the pedal tilting can be fixed in first production, I don't like pedals to move around. 

Looks like this will be more durable than the new monster pro. What a great time to be wheel shopping!

6 hours ago, Flying W said:

Very cool review! Hope the pedal tilting can be fixed in first production, I don't like pedals to move around. 

It seems like this will be the key point of contention for this wheel. While I've heard many agree, I've also heard old veterans (see what I did there) praising the virtues of "old school Gotway soft mode". 

Edited by FullTilt
  • Like 2

I love the conceptual and build simplicity of this wheel. Just a solid, no-frills build, and fantastic performance.

Does it come with side pads though? I assume Kuji had none because it was a preproduction wheel? Will the production model have any side pads?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Does it come with side pads though?

Difficult to answer. Ali seller said we shipped your Sherman with pads, then changed and said NO pads.  :confused1:

If they send pads with Sherman, they probably looks like:

image.png.d6f6d49830cbd1b1d349e00951646649.png

I ordered other pads:

image.png.d42286b31ef7144c064944e60fcbfdbc.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pchiu said:

Taiwan, Republic of China

#letthetrollbegin :)

After I hit submit, I did wonder if they used a VPN to upload because Youtube is banned in mainland China. From Taiwan makes more sense now.

3 hours ago, Flying W said:

Looks like this will be more durable than the new monster pro. What a great time to be wheel shopping!

Do you mean pedal scrapping? As my feet are not large, I could do with shorter pedals so the leading edges don't scrape during tight turns. Pedal angle can be adjusted upwards with the right shims. There are so many mods that could be done on the Sherman, the possibilities are very enticing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Do you mean pedal scrapping? As my feet are not large, I could do with shorter pedals so the leading edges don't scrape during tight turns. Pedal angle can be adjusted upwards with the right shims. There are so many mods that could be done on the Sherman, the possibilities are very enticing.

I believe he was talking about Kuji's speed run. When he leaned forward hard into the pedals they tilted a bit forward. I'm pretty sure that is something they can address with a firmware update.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flying W said:

There’s nothing to be fixed in my and @Tishawn Fahie’s minds from riding the eWheels Vet demo. Plus, if the reviewer ain’t telling you what mode they were on and if they re-calibrated (which usually fixes ‘dips’ on hard mode), then I’d be a bit suspicious.

5 hours ago, FullTilt said:

It seems like this will be the key point of contention for this wheel. While I've heard many agree, I've also heard old veterans (see what I did there) praising the virtues of "old school Gotway soft mode". 

Yes, this was the main reason why I and most of the NYC mainstays even pre-ordered this wheel: because they didn’t tune everything rock hard like the MSX, which is why you’re hearing all the comments of how easy it is to push speed on this wheel.
It’s frustrating to see supposed knowledgeable reviewers complain to manufacturers about amateur, non-issue stuff like this IMHO. I will be asking for a refund if my wheel comes with neutered firmware and is not revertable to the firmware we experienced at the demo.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

There’s nothing to be fixed in my and @Tishawn Fahie’s minds from riding the eWheels Vet demo. Plus, if the reviewer ain’t telling you what mode they were on and if they re-calibrated (which usually fixes ‘dips’ on hard mode), then I’d be a bit suspicious.

Yes, this was the main reason why I and most of the NYC mainstays even pre-ordered this wheel: because they didn’t tune everything rock hard like the MSX, which is why you’re hearing all the comments of how easy it is to push speed on this wheel.
It’s frustrating to see supposed knowledgeable reviewers complain to manufacturers about amateur, non-issue stuff like this IMHO. I will be asking for a refund if my wheel comes with neutered firmware and is not revertable to the firmware we experienced at the demo.

Did the pedals still dip on hard mode during the tests? 

2 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

Did the pedals still dip on hard mode during the tests? 

I only had limited time with the wheel, and my runs were mostly in soft mode (as I hate hard mode), but just out of curiosity, I did flick on hard mode for a few passes, and I didn't feel a significant dip at all on casual ride.

Note that I am obviously biased, and the dip is actually a feature I look for, not something I deem a 'bug' (I used to complain about dip when I was newer to EUC).

Also note, if you are looking for MSX brickwall rock hard, the Veteran is 100% not that. The response has a sponginess to it across all modes, akin to like I've said before, something like the GT16 (RIP) pedal/gyro response feel.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I only had limited time with the wheel, and my runs were mostly in soft mode (as I hate hard mode), but just out of curiosity, I did flick on hard mode for a few passes, and I didn't feel a significant dip at all on casual ride.

Note that I am obviously biased, and the dip is actually a feature I look for, not something I deem a 'bug' (I used to complain about dip when I was newer to EUC).

Also note, if you are looking for MSX brickwall rock hard, the Veteran is 100% not that. The response has a sponginess to it across all modes, akin to like I've said before, something like the GT16 (RIP) pedal/gyro response feel.

Have you ridden the MSP? It's a bit softer across all modes. It's certainly not like the MSX.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Have you ridden the MSP? It's a bit softer across all modes. It's certainly not like the MSX.

Circa which board? They've changed it apparently over several production fulfillments.

• Like 1

Pedal tilting forward due to soft mode and pedal dipping in sharp turns are two different things though, it seemed to me Kujis did quite a bit of dip in the turns.

Going from FW 1.x to 2.x on the 18XL significantly improved the dip when turning (one can feel the compensation)

I hope the Sherman will get some improvements there or that I’m just seeing wrong. (What I’m trying to say is I like pedal dip compensation when turning)

Edited by null
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, null said:

Pedal tilting forward due to soft mode and pedal dipping in sharp turns are two different things though, it seemed to me Kujis did quite a bit of dip in the turns.

Right, but did he re-calibrate? Why can no one answer this when this complaint is brought up?... this is EUC 101 guys.

3 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

The firmware isn't upgradeable though is it? 

It is if they're complaining ahead of a shipment fulfillment last-minute tweak.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can only speak to mine, which was the first EWheels shipment.

This is the problem. If Veteran is anything like Gotway, you'll never know exactly what version of firmware comes with your wheel. Wouldn't it be great if they had versions like KingSong, and that you could switch around like you now can with KingSong. Apparently this isn't one of the community desires that Veteran thought was worthwhile.

+1M on this sentiment, although it's pick your poison really.

While Gotway firmware can change production line after production line for the same damn model, King Song ride signature is not nearly as sophisticated for forward-moving riding as a Gotway, or now Veteran, as I don't find changing modes nearly as helpful and/or different from each other on King Song and InMotion wheels, as they're all kind of too similar.

My dream would be to just flash the MSV3 OG soft mode on all my wheels; I imagine it would be the MCM5 or MSX brickwall hard for the Hard mode guys.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

I was speaking of pedal tilting during turning, and I also was just trusting that Kuji would have properly calibrated prior to testing but yeah, no way to really know if he did or not. 

I like a bit of sponge in the pedals, especially for hard breaking. If this wheel has that sponginess but doesn't dip in corners that sounds like a great firmware set up! 

Why is it so hard to actually have soft for the "OG" swingers, medium for noobs, and hard for brickwall lovers. Simple. This is definitely my single issue for this wheel. I need those pedals flat at all times. The MSP is king in that regard! That new Monster Pro video shows perfectly flat pedals going up an incline, then immediately down stairs with zero effect to angle...can't wait!!!

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

+1M on this sentiment, although it's pick your poison really.

While Gotway firmware can change production line after production line for the same damn model, King Song ride signature is not nearly as sophisticated for forward-moving riding as a Gotway, or now Veteran, as I don't find changing modes nearly as helpful and/or different from each other on King Song and InMotion wheels, as they're all kind of too similar.

My dream would be to just flash the MSV3 OG soft mode on all my wheels; I imagine it would be the MCM5 or MSX brickwall hard for the Hard mode guys.

Or the Tesla hard mode, which also has a decent soft mode.

I'm afraid you're always going to be disappointed Chris.