Jump to content
ugoaps

"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

I have yet to see anyone riding 40+ MPH in anything but open road conditions.  Am I missing something here? 

Might have been thinking of the video referenced by Tishawn's of the apparently doing a cut-out test with the Sherman on an ordinary street where there apparently were ordinary pedestrians crossing the street at the same time, in which case I'd have to agree.

[edit] well, no, that wasn't perhaps the reason, so forget about that particular point.

Edited by Nils

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

What you're missing is that new products and technologies get banned or controlled in a way that existing ones do not.

If cars were invented today, they would be banned. If alcohol were invented today it probably would be too. Products that were able to establish themselves when society had a different appetite for risk, or a different set of values, get a pass.

These are good points. What propels me to try this new stuff is that it is usually NOT regulated in the beginning. I like to enjoy that grace period of public ignorance. Having said that, we can add shanesplanet to the list of test monkeys for the Sherman. THIS test monkey is doing it on his own dime, so I get to laugh and cry without having to share..... exciting and dangerous year out here in NC/TN mountains for sure! Now the wait......arggg the wait....  Maybe I'll have the notion to knock the dust off some safety gear and get my paratrooper outfit back in regular rotation too. SOmething about being fully geared, brings the stupid out to the surface in spades... fun fun!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShanesPlanet quick off topic, is your dual sport a DRZ SM with the S wheels or was it always an S? 

I miss my dual sport, I'm down to a KX250 and a street triple RS. Trying to balance bike and wheel addiction with the bank account :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased it as a 2008 SM (no worry over licensing on the sm models) and it seems the price hasnt moved on them at all. Mine has just over 5k miles on it now and is still the newest vehicle i own by far.  After putting michellin rain tires on it like I always do (i dont go cheap on tires.... EVER!), I realized it was a disaster on anything but pavement. Wet grass was like snot and I was falling down a lot. Im a hoodlum at heart, so I quickly solved this dilemma. I purchased the drz400 standard rims (big ones), installed brake rotors and different sprocket and knobbies. NO tire is great on both and I really wanted to be sure I could hang on the street sideways but also be able to load up to go dirt bike riding with people (yeah right.. people). My bike lives with the sm rims and tires, but i can swap to motocross rims and knobbies in about 10mins, with 2 tools and not having to break a chain... win win win. I'm a tech, so mines been combed thru piece by piece with only the upgrades I felt it needed, no wasted gadgets here. A great side effect of the supermoto is that its comfy enough for me, but the bitch seat is crowded, so the old lady doesnt bother me to ride on back much... win win win win....   We're waiting until I FEEL old, and then I'll have to pony up for a damn goldwing too. Used of course... I do wish the supermoto had a sixth gear and its damn dicey on interstates. But hell, my sport bike days are probably over, so Im not too sad about it. Dont let its beauty fool you, I beat that bitch like a red headed step child. Parts are so cheap and available, I break it and fix it and enjoy both. Fwiw, my drz has hit the ground more times than anything I own. Only my poor mten comes close. Since these pics, I've only added stainless brake lines, removable windshield, upgraded rotors and combed thru the forks.... prolly time to do the forks again, what an enjoyable pain in the ass... She starts first crank everytime and purrs quietly... Loud bikes ruin lives! Damnit, reminds me I need to buy insurance for it for the year again. SO hard to remember that it isnt my previous xr200, THIS one requires insurance...

SmDirt.thumb.JPG.d400c772b500f9bc4ebc7fcf01b73686.JPGSmstreet.thumb.JPG.13b503d463a76995197178121beffa4b.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShanesPlanet that's rad man! I was running a desert IT rear and a washougal sticky front on my te610. Needed off road traction more than street. 

That was the only bike I kept for 10 yrs and still regret selling. 

Beat that step child til his hair turns gray!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, from the sound of it, it's a distributor in Taiwan offering the demo to local clients.

Couple of points:

- About the trolley handle: "You push this wheel with the trolley handle, whereas with the MSX the trolley handle pushes you." LOL

- The front light angle is adjustible upwards and downwards with hex screw

- The way the lights are located outside the shell allows for heat dissipation

- There is a hole behind the front lights leading to the back for air flow

- Riders generally are impressed by how nimble the wheel feels despite it's size and obviously the weight. Some comments that the ride feels "soft".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

What you're missing is that new products and technologies get banned or controlled in a way that existing ones do not.

If cars were invented today, they would be banned. If alcohol were invented today it probably would be too. Products that were able to establish themselves when society had a different appetite for risk, or a different set of values, get a pass.

It's all about revenues.  If there are an estimated 10 million EUCs roaming the country, there is revenue to be had in registration, insurance, taxes and enforcement.  Given there are at most 10-20k EUC riders (a great majority of them being casual park riders) in the USA, the revenue stream is pretty miniscule to where the time and cost associated with implementation would not be worth the return. 

There are a hell of a lot more e-scooters on the roads than EUCs.  We are still considered a novelty here in NYC where ridership is relatively high compared to the rest of the world.  I don't foresee any ban on EUCs anytime soon, if ever.  Western Europe is the epitome of a "nanny state" compared to the USA, so I can understand your fears, but not here.  Not anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

It's all about revenues.  If there are an estimated 10 million EUCs roaming the country, there is revenue to be had in registration, insurance, taxes and enforcement.  Given there are at most 10-20k EUC riders (a great majority of them being casual park riders) in the USA, the revenue stream is pretty miniscule to where the time and cost associated with implementation would not be worth the return. 

There are a hell of a lot more e-scooters on the roads than EUCs.  We are still considered a novelty here in NYC where ridership is relatively high compared to the rest of the world.  I don't foresee any ban on EUCs anytime soon, if ever.  Western Europe is the epitome of a "nanny state" compared to the USA, so I can understand your fears, but not here.  Not anytime soon.

The "it's all about revenue" is the lazy (cliched) answer. In reality there are more factors at play than that. The biggest being public outrage. All it takes is one pretty blonde girl to get killed, and it's a big news story generating huge public outrage. Public outrage leads to elected representatives worrying about the impact on their electability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

The "it's all about revenue" is the lazy (cliched) answer. In reality there are more factors at play than that. The biggest being public outrage. All it takes is one pretty blonde girl to get killed, and it's a big news story generating huge public outrage. Public outrage leads to elected representatives worrying about the impact on their electability.

Some pretty blonde girl got split in half by an 18-wheeler with her guts spilled all over the street in Brooklyn riding a bike, I don’t see Citibikes getting banned or regulated. 

Motorcyclists do 100 mph on the highway and have some glorious spills, some resulting in death, yet they’re not banned. 

You have e-bikes and e-scooters in the same “dangerous” NYC videos pulling speeds north of 60 mph, where’s the outrage there? Do they fall under “socially acceptable” in your view?

Kids get hit by cars daily all over the country, yet they’re still not banned, and they kill more people than an EUC ever will. 

This whole “but they were socially accepted in the past” argument has no merit.  You’d conversely trigger the treehuggers eliminating a viable form of green transport. 

You and the other nannies can worry about this stuff. If they want to regulate us, they will, however it has to make sense to do so. Banning EUC due to the actions of a select few to inconvenience the majority is simply not happening. 

I can’t wait to see the triggered responses when even faster EUCs hit the streets in the years to come. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This blokes review has some good insights, he reckon a 70 mile range ( I assume at 40 mph average.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FullTilt said:

Interesting, from the sound of it, it's a distributor in Taiwan offering the demo to local clients.

Couple of points:

- About the trolley handle: "You push this wheel with the trolley handle, whereas with the MSX the trolley handle pushes you." LOL

- The front light angle is adjustible upwards and downwards with hex screw

- The way the lights are located outside the shell allows for heat dissipation

- There is a hole behind the front lights leading to the back for air flow

- Riders generally are impressed by how nimble the wheel feels despite it's size and obviously the weight. Some comments that the ride feels "soft".

 

My only concern with this wheel is after resistance. I live in chicago where it will start raining without a cloud in the sky some days. So I NEED it to be able to hold up in moderate rain and puddles. 

 

How will the hole for air flow work without letting water in directly onto the board? I've heard lots can be done now with positive pressure with fans but I'm skeptical. Obviously the housing can be siliconed easily but the hole is a concern for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

My only concern with this wheel is after resistance. I live in chicago where it will start raining without a cloud in the sky some days. So I NEED it to be able to hold up in moderate rain and puddles. 

 

How will the hole for air flow work without letting water in directly onto the board? I've heard lots can be done now with positive pressure with fans but I'm skeptical. Obviously the housing can be siliconed easily but the hole is a concern for me. 

Just coat the board with silicone spray? 

I used to do that to my graphic card inside my PC when my water cooling leaked, never had a problem with water dripping all over it for 3yrs+.

Doesn't affect cooling as the coating is thin enough that will transfer the heat to allow conventional fan cooling 

Edited by onizukagto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

Just coat the board with silicone spray? 

I used to do that to my graphic card inside my PC when my water cooling leaked, never had a problem with water dripping all over it for 3yrs+.

Doesn't affect cooling as the coating is thin enough that will transfer the heat to allow consenting fan cooling 

let the mods and farkling begin!!!  If there isnt a thread about mods on the sherman yet, there needs to be. Im already hearing the 3d printers across the planet, swinging in overdrive. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

Just coat the board with silicone spray? 

I used to do that to my graphic card inside my PC when my water cooling leaked, never had a problem with water dripping all over it for 3yrs+.

Doesn't affect cooling as the coating is thin enough that will transfer the heat to allow conventional fan cooling 

I've never used that. I'm guessing you would have to totally remove the board and coat the top and bottom entirely with everything disconnected? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

I've never used that. I'm guessing you would have to totally remove the board and coat the top and bottom entirely with everything disconnected? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

Theres different types and you MAY want to keep as many connections covered as possible during initial coatings. A final coating AFTER everything connected, helps ensure the connections dont leak and helps 'glue' them in place. Its a pain in the ass, but if you do it thoroughly, it works great. I'd be more concerned of water being pulled into the front behind the light. You could always just tape a piece saran wrap over the control screen if you were so inclined. I'm thinking that if you ride in sheer downpours, you're used to having to do shit like this regularly. The problem with coating the board is that water can still sit inside the compartment and not dry very quickly, leading to corrosion on anything you may have missed inside. Using silicone type gasket material around the edges to prevent ingress in the first place, MAY be an easier solution. I'd have to see one in person to say for sure..... shouldnt be too long tho.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

Theres different types and you MAY want to keep as many connections covered as possible during initial coatings. A final coating AFTER everything connected, helps ensure the connections dont leak and helps 'glue' them in place. Its a pain in the ass, but if you do it thoroughly, it works great. I'd be more concerned of water being pulled into the front behind the light. You could always just tape a piece saran wrap over the control screen if you were so inclined. I'm thinking that if you ride in sheer downpours, you're used to having to do shit like this regularly. The problem with coating the board is that water can still sit inside the compartment and not dry very quickly, leading to corrosion on anything you may have missed inside. Using silicone type gasket material around the edges to prevent ingress in the first place, MAY be an easier solution. I'd have to see one in person to say for sure..... shouldnt be too long tho.

Well I wish we didn't have to jump through these hoops but I look forward to see what you and others come up with. Hopefully someone makes a video how to! I'll be waiting 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onizukagto said:

Just coat the board with silicone spray? 

I'm not sure I would trust silicone spray...it doesnt dry and provide a barrier as opposed to conformal coating which is like a laquer and hardens like a plastic. Are we saying the Veteran board isnt coated then? Even Gotway does this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of good points about silicone spray, it worked on computer components, but it's a static platform, I. E. Not moving, also the liquid was simply dripping water, nothing with any sort of force, so it might not be a foolproof method for an EUC. 

I've never done conformal coating, but if you got the experience or the confidence, it's probably the better option. 

Either way, if it doesn't have any type of water resistant coating, silicone might be better then nothing, if that's the case. 

 

Edited by onizukagto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

I have yet to see anyone riding 40+ MPH in anything but open road conditions. 

Would be pretty hard to do since there are no EUC's on the market capable of these speeds.

The rest of your text is just besides the point. We are not talking about motorcyclists, cyclists, truck drivers, or scooter riders. But for what it's worth, crashing at 40mph with a scooter can also lead to serious injury.

Talking about one-dimensional, you do exactly the same but in the opposite direction. You consider your bubble to be a completely unique ecosystem that has nothing to do with the outside world. Makes you wonder if you shouldn't simply become an independent country as "nothing is as it is here".

 

Quote

By some of your logic, we should have no transportation aside from walking because cars pollute, trains spread disease, and cyclists get killed every day! 

What logic is that? The logic that states that the faster you go, the more it hurts when you fall, and that sliding a crash out is better than smashing into something? What the hell does that have to do with banning transportation.

 

It's amazing to see how you go full defensive on this forum, for no reason at all, just because some facts are stated and somehow you start to take all of that stuff personally. Nowhere in the post you quote did I target anyone or anything in particular, or called for banning/capping speed/....

 

But you have to realise, this is just going the way of the local biker groups. Give it a couple of years and those devices will become so powerful that the same mechanisms will start playing out, that losing "one of the crew" in a fatal accident will become part of the game, unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Would be pretty hard to do since there are no EUC's on the market capable of these speeds.

The rest of your text is just besides the point. We are not talking about motorcyclists, cyclists, truck drivers, or scooter riders. But for what it's worth, crashing at 40mph with a scooter can also lead to serious injury.

Talking about one-dimensional, you do exactly the same but in the opposite direction. You consider your bubble to be a completely unique ecosystem that has nothing to do with the outside world. Makes you wonder if you shouldn't simply become an independent country as "nothing is as it is here".

First off, have you ever lived in NYC?  Your beautiful open countryside in Belgium and neighboring countries do not equate to how transport works here.  So if Brussels decided to ban EUCs based on the actions of those in NYC that would be comical at best, considering our level of population density and infrastructure does not not even remotely resemble what it's like in Brussels.  I am quite familiar with European infrastructure as I've dated a Danish girl for many years where I surmise Copenhagen would be a fair point of reference; however they're already regulated out there so I suppose NYC's ridership would have no impact there.

What logic is that? The logic that states that the faster you go, the more it hurts when you fall, and that sliding a crash out is better than smashing into something? What the hell does that have to do with banning transportation.

The logic is a flying bike or a flying motorcycle would cause MORE damage than an EUC tumbling a few feet.

It's amazing to see how you go full defensive on this forum, for no reason at all, just because some facts are stated and somehow you start to take all of that stuff personally. Nowhere in the post you quote did I target anyone or anything in particular, or called for banning/capping speed/....

What is amazing is you and others seem to think us enjoying our wheels in an urban environment somehow makes us bad guys.  What makes someone in Belgium (or any other country) the authority on how transportation works in New York City?  How about New York City dictates your car speed limits because we think you go too fast?  (our local speed limit is 40 kmh) .  

But you have to realise, this is just going the way of the local biker groups. Give  a couple of years and those devices will become so powerful that the same mechanisms will start playing out, that losing "one of the crew" in a fatal accident will become part of the game, unfortunately. 

Probably true, the suicidal riders knock themselves out of the game one by one, even here.  Doesn't mean some individual in a country 10000 miles across the Atlantic has any say in how we ride.  If we die crashing, that's nobody's fault but the riders.

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Would be pretty hard to do since there are no EUC's on the market capable of these speeds.

Sure there are. 100V MSX, MSPS, Veteran, 100V Nikola, maybe even some other GotWays.

7 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

The logic is a flying bike or a flying motorcycle would cause MORE damage than an EUC tumbling a few feet.

An EUC can tumble a few feet when dropped from stationary. Maybe you should watch a few EUC crash videos to get a more realistic view. A good example is the one where Kuji tries to jump up three stairs with the MSP.

 Also, you keep talking about how transportation works in NYC. Cool, but we are talking for example about how kids behave all over the world.

 To think that jackass riders caught on video wouldn’t be used against a small new group of hobbyists when determining restrictions really is quite naive. Ever thought that maybe just as much as we may not know how horrible everything is in NYC, you may not know how laws and restrictions are made in EU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...