GoPro 8 on its way!

enjoy the voice control and get a goto smallish stick. I got the insurance for $5, so their tripod/stick is a great buy: 1/2 off accessories. DON"T allow the video process to dampen your enjoyment of the ride...unless you intend it to. Have fun with it, let battery cool before recharging (get spare+ charger), and protect that lens. Hero 8 Lens isnt user replaceable, so protect it or buy insurance. Don't expect audio to be usable IF you are facing into the wind at speed. I'm an avid gopro fan, its REALLY easy to nickle and dime yourself into a healthy investment. I got the hero 7 and its THE answer to what i wanted for a static helmet cam view. I'd imagine the 8 is same. Their lenses capture so wide and camera is so small, its easy to forget its up there. The video is so stable and very similar to what my eyes see. Voice command means you just tell the gopro to record when/if something interesting is coming. Hero 7/8 + helmet = easy win..   Get an easy to remove helmet and yu can just hold it in your hand to change view. I have a swivel on the way, just to see if its worth using to swap front/back for the hero on helmet. I think the 360 needs live on a stick. For the epic passing shot, the hero 7/8 on a selfie stick/tripod, BLOWS away the Max by a mile. If you KNOW the angle you are filming, hero is the way to go. The max only shines because the screen can face you and its audio is so usable, along with that ability to not have to worry about aiming. Still, the Hero is ftw IF you have a planned view in mind. Im happy for you! Enjoy it and let us watch!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

enjoy the voice control and get a goto smallish stick. I got the insurance for $5, so their tripod/stick is a great buy: 1/2 off accessories. DON"T allow the video process to dampen your enjoyment of the ride...unless you intend it to. Have fun with it, let battery cool before recharging (get spare+ charger), and protect that lens. Hero 8 Lens isnt user replaceable, so protect it or buy insurance. Don't expect audio to be usable IF you are facing into the wind at speed. I'm an avid gopro fan, its REALLY easy to nickle and dime yourself into a healthy investment. I got the hero 7 and its THE answer to what i wanted for a static helmet cam view. I'd imagine the 8 is same. Their lenses capture so wide and camera is so small, its easy to forget its up there. The video is so stable and very similar to what my eyes see. Voice command means you just tell the gopro to record when/if something interesting is coming. Hero 7/8 + helmet = easy win..   Get an easy to remove helmet and yu can just hold it in your hand to change view. I have a swivel on the way, just to see if its worth using to swap front/back for the hero on helmet. I think the 360 needs live on a stick. For the epic passing shot, the hero 7/8 on a selfie stick/tripod, BLOWS away the Max by a mile. If you KNOW the angle you are filming, hero is the way to go. The max only shines because the screen can face you and its audio is so usable, along with that ability to not have to worry about aiming. Still, the Hero is ftw IF you have a planned view in mind. Im happy for you! Enjoy it and let us watch!

Good information. Thanks for the thoughtful reply AND encouragement. 

I did take advantage of the discount and insurance only I grabbed the 3-way and not the short one. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Good information. Thanks for the thoughtful reply AND encouragement. 

I did take advantage of the discount and insurance only I grabbed the 3-way and not the short one. 

I find myself using the ''max grip+tripod' almost all the damn time. Of course thats with the max. It fits in a pocket okay and it gets just far enough away to get the wheel and me in the shot in my hand. Sadly, tripods arent for shit on uneven ground. I looked into one of those 'joby' things, but seemed a little short in lifespan to me. The 3-way seems very versatile too. With free shipping and half off, you are doomed. I have a 'shorty' otw, but i bet its REALLY short.  You will buy so much crap at a whim, their evil plan will work.... get in your wallet, $20 at a time. I just got my hero 7, but it works so great on the helmet, I'd imagine I'll use it even when I dont want to even mess with cameras. I mean hell...  clip it in, turn it on and say 'go pro, start recording'. If you forget and kill the battery... who cares?Being able to say 'gopro stop recording', when i pull up on a neighbor to chat, is VERY cmoforting as it's only fair to them, i try to NOT record everything.  Im waiting on a backpack and other sticks and accessories from those  evil assholes right now. Once my @Marty Backe stick and fanny pack arrives, I'll be totally nerdin' out. I do feel that Gopro support in the USA is better than most. Maybe not great, but it's something in a market full of nothing. Return policy is a definite winner!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Any tips? Weather it’s GP specific or just do’s and dont’s of recording while wheeling.

Make sure you update the firmware to the latest one as soon as you get it connected to your phone.

Keep your lens cover glass clean. If you see streaks around bright lights, you have grease or dirt on the glass.

Play with TimeWarp. It's very fun, and even makes hiking seem epic.

Get the Magnetic Swivel Clip. It's my favorite mount at the moment. Really versatile.

Make sure you have a decent microSD card. It's amazing how many people have issues (right down to over heating, and GPS not working well), and it's due to a poor SD card (in the GPS case they can cause interference).

On the subject of GPS. Turn on the camera and wait something like 45 secs to get a satellite lock before you start recording. If you start recording straight away, the GPS takes minutes to lock (because there's so much electronics running when recording).

Also on the subject of GPS. The GPS antenna is on the top (so it faces the sky). While you can mount the camera upside down (and get right way up video), the GPS may struggle.

If you buy an El Grande mount, and start flying again, don't take it as carry on. They'll take it from you, thinking it could be used as a weapon!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Make sure you update the firmware to the latest one as soon as you get it connected to your phone.

Keep your lens cover glass clean. If you see streaks around bright lights, you have grease or dirt on the glass.

Play with TimeWarp. It's very fun, and even makes hiking seem epic.

Get the Magnetic Swivel Clip. It's my favorite mount at the moment. Really versatile.

Make sure you have a decent microSD card. It's amazing how many people have issues (right down to over heating, and GPS not working well), and it's due to a poor SD card (in the GPS case they can cause interference).

On the subject of GPS. Turn on the camera and wait something like 45 secs to get a satellite lock before you start recording. If you start recording straight away, the GPS takes minutes to lock (because there's so much electronics running when recording).

Also on the subject of GPS. The GPS antenna is on the top (so it faces the sky). While you can mount the camera upside down (and get right way up video), the GPS may struggle.

If you buy an El Grande mount, and start flying again, don't take it as carry on. They'll take it from you, thinking it could be used as a weapon!

Good stuff! I think the gopros are shipping with good cards for free atm. That el grande DOES look like a extendable knight stick for sure. You can also update firmware by direct download and place the file on your card, no phone required :)

• Like 1

Ive never needed a spare SD in my hero 3 over all the years, but it can't hurt. I'd try to match what gopro sent with cam, JUST so you avoid any issues. A reader is neccessary if your computer needs it. Make sure its a fast reader, video files are quite large. Xferring files via cable on the gopro is easier than removing that stupid tiny card, but its also slower than a usb3 reader into usb port. Usually Im lazy and just use the cable, less wear/tear on parts and my fingers.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1