One foot riding, any tips on getting started?

drmrw

Hey folks, I've gotten very comfortable on my ninebot one and want to start learning one foot techniques. Is there any particularly good way to start? It seems like you really have to hang a lot of your weight over the side with no foot on the pedal. I also guess you have to have your riding leg very close to the center of the unit. Other than that I'm clueless. Thanks!

Can you mount and dismount your wheel without having to grab it with your hands? Do you have to hop on/off your wheel to start/stop? Or can you smoothly push off, like on a skateboard, to start your ride?

If you can't smoothly mount and dismount your wheel comfortably with one foot on and one foot off then you need practice that first (IMO). Before you know it you'll be riding with one foot. Now if you want to do tricks then that's a road of self discovery. 

Yeah I can totally mount and dismount hands free, and even (quickly) adjust my foot without losing balance. I don't so much push off as step onto it lightly, but I can practice pushing off, that's a good idea. Thanks.

For One Footing I use my dominate leg to stabilize myself against the pad. Its important to shift balance to the dominate leg and slowly start lifting your other foot off the pedal. I agree that practicing starting and stopping by lifting one foot on and off for stopping and starting over and over until you perfect it. That will help a lot in being able to one foot ride.  One foot riding comes in time after you gain skill and confidence. Its the same with backwards riding. You need to practice over and over and keep calm and focused. Put your mind to it and you can do it!

Yeah I finally got to the point that I can quickly put on the brakes and start rolling backwards a short distance, that was tough because I reliably fell to the side of my non dominant leg whenever I tried to go backwards. I also worked on pushing off like a skateboard instead of quickly jumping on before losing balance. Feels more natural. I'll keep at it. Thanks guys!

30 minutes ago, FORWARD california said:

Its the same with backwards riding.

Coming from someone named 'Forward'... Thanks the one foot starting out seems like a good way to break into it. Any way to break into backwards. My plan is the same as i did going forwards... holding on to a wall for dear life.

For Backwards riding I just kept trying over and over. I wouldn't give up. I noticed that if I kept calm and focused with no sudden movements I could do it. It took a lot of practice for me.  Its best to first master riding backwards in a straight line for short distance then advance to turning and long distances. If you don't have the best coordination I encourage protect gear when practicing backwards riding.

8 minutes ago, spikes2020 said:

Coming from someone named 'Forward'... Thanks the one foot starting out seems like a good way to break into it. Any way to break into backwards. My plan is the same as i did going forwards... holding on to a wall for dear life.

I just start to go reverse and was told that Idling is a good start, got only 5 cycles unlike doing it with my eyes closed on my pedal, But I will own it!

Just searched you tube, lots to see.

Only one example,

vhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemV6-ffcw 

Be safe, unlike the guy in the vid without even wrist guards! :o

ukj

4 hours ago, drmrw said:

Hey folks, I've gotten very comfortable on my ninebot one and want to start learning one foot techniques. Is there any particularly good way to start? It seems like you really have to hang a lot of your weight over the side with no foot on the pedal. I also guess you have to have your riding leg very close to the center of the unit. Other than that I'm clueless. Thanks!

3 hours ago, spikes2020 said:

I'd like to know this and also riding backwards... I am able to slow down to almost a dead stop but yet to more backwards..

Just made a quick video with some pointers that helped me:

https://youtu.be/zMDQtFic83Y

Let me know if you have any questions.

Wow, good video, great skills. I think I am going to learn riding backwards because it could be handy in some situations. For riding with only one foot I see no need, I guess it rather strains the motor bearing. :)

This may have been mentioned already, but for one footing I find it helps to go in a lazy curve aimed inward toward the foot that is lifted up.

I'm not very good at it, but with the lean to the left and the curve to the left I can get some distance with left foot lifted.

Archived