WTB my first wheel

Hi folks. 
Super new to this. Got hooked on electric scooters lately, and then found out about EUCs. Can’t stop thinking of getting one and learning to ride it. Don’t need one for commute, joy riding only. Looking for a used wheel to learn on, KS14D or something in that range.  Looking to spend around $300 on my first one. Please let me know if you have one you’re willing to sell. 

thank you. 

• Like 1

Sorry I just joined the forum and not allowed to send private messages yet. I looked at the photo of the v5f on another thread of yours. That wheel looks like it’s been through some things lol. But it looks right for my purpose right now if it is operational.

Edited by Albatross
  • Like 1

A luck is always possible, but to be frank, even an used V8 is above your price point..

But yet again, a small v5 could do the job, and then you resell it. Like I'm doing with mine

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan Hillary said:

Find a used v5f or a post on eBay like this, which will likely sell for between $250 and $325 plus shipping. When you're done with it and ready to upgrade, sell it for as much as you bought it.

That's an interesting option, thank you.  What would be a better wheel to learn on and own for the first few months,  Ninebot One E+ or the V5F?

@AtlasP's comparison table is great, hope you found it:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ag0ky7mWfH9cm9dMfvYothdqZtIsdw

800w motor, minimum.

If you can save a little more and swing a $600 new 420wh MTen3, you'll keep that wheel forever (and likely add an 18"-class thing later).

Wrap it in pads and electrical tape, it will tumble dozens of times. Wrap yourself in pads too- if you're not falling you're not learning :)

MTen3 was my first EUC, no regrets (other than it used to cost $900!), still have it, still use it.

Buying new is certainly easier for a first-timer, and you'll get the benefit of new-wheel reliability.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

@AtlasP's comparison table is great, hope you found it:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ag0ky7mWfH9cm9dMfvYothdqZtIsdw

800w motor, minimum.

If you can save a little more and swing a $600 new 420wh MTen3, you'll keep that wheel forever (and likely add an 18"-class thing later).

Wrap it in pads and electrical tape, it will tumble dozens of times. Wrap yourself in pads too- if you're not falling you're not learning :)

MTen3 was my first EUC, no regrets (other than it used to cost $900!), still have it, still use it.

Buying new is certainly easier for a first-timer, and you'll get the benefit of new-wheel reliability.

As I've been searching online for an affordable option for me right now, I've looked at the MTen3.  Seen mixed reviews do to the 10 inch wheel.  Right now I'm basically deciding between the Ninebot One E+ and a used v5f.  I have a scooter that I just sold for $200 and could possibly add another $200 to get my first wheel to learn on.  When this whole corona pandemic madness ends I will be able to dish out proper mullah on a proper wheel.  For now, I need to stick to my budget to keep my marriage healthy, if not for anything else.  I already have an unhealthy obsession with vintage watches, that my better half has learned to deal with throughout the years.  lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Albatross said:

That's an interesting option, thank you.  What would be a better wheel to learn on and own for the first few months,  Ninebot One E+ or the V5F?

I agree with @Eric plam, the v5f is going to be the better wheel but they're close enough that the ease of finding the E+ will make it more likely the one you'll end up with.

Some might say "a 500W motor isn't safe for someone 180lbs!" but it's fine since you're just learning on it. After a month of tennis courts and sticking to the sidewalks in your neighborhood, you'll just need to be careful about getting too confident maxing out its acceleration potential or its speed potential. Either one could leave you on the street for different reasons. Make sure you upgrade before you feel like copying all the cool YouTube videos you've seen. ;)

• Like 3

Yep, watching the auction for the refurbished E+. If I can get it for under $350 with shipping I’ll get it. 

Then I plan to learn and ride around my development for a few months and upgrade to a better machine. 

Maybe going to sell my 1976 CJ 350 that I don’t ride anymore. 

Just bought a used v5f from a forum member. So freakin excited to get it and start learning. 

Thank you everyone, who helped me with making this decision. I’m stoked!!!

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 7:49 AM, Albatross said:

Just bought a used v5f from a forum member. So freakin excited to get it and start learning. 

Thank you everyone, who helped me with making this decision. I’m stoked!!!

You are going to have an absolute blast!  I remember dizzily waiting in anticipation for mine.  It was so worth it.  These machines are almost magical and give me the feeling of levitation!  It took me about 5-6 hours of practice to get it.  It's a really steep learning curve but eventually it just clicks and you won't understand why you found it so hard.  Wear protection to start out with as you will drop it and you may land on your wrists (wrist guards are a must IMO).  Look forward to hearing about your experiences.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gazza-usa said:

You are going to have an absolute blast!  I remember dizzily waiting in anticipation for mine.  It was so worth it.  These machines are almost magical and give me the feeling of levitation!  It took me about 5-6 hours of practice to get it.  It's a really steep learning curve but eventually it just clicks and you won't understand why you found it so hard.  Wear protection to start out with as you will drop it and you may land on your wrists (wrist guards are a must IMO).  Look forward to hearing about your experiences.  

To clarify 1 hour to get the balance thing, 4+ hrs to get riding and being confident enough to go distance.

If you can find someone who rides then maybe they can teach you.  I've been teaching my son (17) and been constantly showing and telling him what to do and not to do and he is up and riding within an hour and was able to do figure of eights in the garden, half grass with a steep slope with a step at the bottom.  Took me ages on my own and only wish I had someone to help when I learnt.  Probably not been over 10mph yet but that will come, he can ride a few miles now negotiating droped curbs, gravel, starting, stopping.  He's been using my MCM5 with a 2.5".  I learnt on a ninebot one S2 and sold it on as soon as I could ride to a safe level.  Also helped my friend out (200 miles away) using facetime when he was learning albeit a little harder over video.

• Like 1