MikieSWE

EUC and drinking?

Since I was admitting and opening up this subject I was wondering how the community would respond.
----> I do NOT promote any of this kind of action, ever! <----

What struck me was an experience and wondering...  how the heck I would be able to run  with more ease
on something that would demand more skill of balance than a normal roller skates, bicycle, motorbike, or as e.g. skateboard?
I got few answers on pointing that out.

Afterwards, I was thinking that it might have to do with a sort of pivoting point of balance that EUC drivers has to hang
around and, all in all, it has to do with centering that point. Probably only a video would tell the difference in certain stages,
but for me it felt just as natural as no drink at all. Weird! However my normal reaction time and so on was a bit offset, but
still... it felt as natural as sober. This still puzzles my mind. What kind of dynamics is going on here? :efef2e0fff:

I would say I got a load of interesting and thoughtful answers. Thanks! :thumbup:

On 4/27/2020 at 3:11 AM, Gazza-usa said:

It would be an interesting scientific study to see how rapidly your capabilities decline from alcohol on an EUC.  As we all know, alcohol affects your balance and an EUC needs a very coordinated balance.  A car less so and an motorcycle probably a little less than an EUC.  Obviously judgement is impaired too.  I wonder if a University would want to run a study on something like this.

I would definitely enlist for that study! :cheers:

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

I would definitely enlist for that study! :cheers:

Count me in! Im a lightweight so it won't cost ya much! May be hard to study, as I make drunken decisions while sober too. Flashbacks anyone?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Having a drink to loosen up is something the skiing and snowboarding community have been doing for years. In Europe they encourage a shot of schnapps to take the tension out of your legs. I agree that there is a fine line. I've been drunk/hungover snowboarding before and a hard slam due to slow brain to body reaction soon put an end to anything like that ever happening again.

I also am not at the skill level to consider it and I also think the added dimension of being on the road (vs a slope) is a recipe to get EUC'ing banned outright. Of course that would probably depend on us all being p!ssheads riding drunk all the time.

I've been drunk on a bike and like some others I felt it was the wrong side of 'loosened up' so I know I will avoid that in future.

Agree with the comment from @GothamMike no chance I'm going to let a drunk guy on my wheel. He would have fallen or dropped the wheel (being drunk he probably would have been like : "washtt ver problam, maaayte. Ishhh jushht a sssratch" Sober or drunk people still see these as toys and I think do not quite understand the ability they have. I think generally people equate them with hoverboards.

You can get a DUI on any vehicle!!! Don't be stupid... Could get your license or your vehicle taken away from you...

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

You can get a DUI on any vehicle!!! Don't be stupid... Could get your license or your vehicle taken away from you...

I see your point. I'm not exactly sure your license could be pulled, as an euc doesnt require one. Probably depends on local regulations and your attorney. I could definitely see how getting a DUI on an euc while operating drunk on public roads, could be a big no-no for most municipalities. Of course we ALL know that this thread and all responses contained within, are merely hypothetical.

I like riding EUC better on weed than alcohol :clap3:

must admit i have a couple of tokes most time i ride    for me it adds to the ride  

I've tried again. As ShanesPlanet mention, License will be pulled no mater what you ride, or drive. My, call it investigation if you like, or pure stupidity.. I dont care. Getting intoxicated and get on the wheel... Feels wierd. I wont drive a bicycle even in that stage. EUC? wtf is going on? Im straight line no matter what...  Please elaborate with me with this... I dont get it. I did few tests in a closed environment... and my experience was.. it didnt matter. reactions was shit but I could do a 200 yard straight line no matter what. that puzzles me. speed 12-15mph or 20-24kph. My turns was a bit double. lol. what dynamics is going on here?

If anxiety or "survival reactions" to borrow a phrase from Keith Code, are holding you back, a little alcohol will probably help more than hurt.

If you are an alcoholic, or have been drinking a lot the day before, a little alcohol will bring you back to your baseline, and will help more than hurt.

If you're depressed, or have other mental issues, a little alcohol may make your brain feel good enough to operate and help rather than hurt. 

Other things equal, alcohol hurts your reaction time, awareness, mental and athletic performance. But other things are rarely equal and alcohol often ends up benefitting humans in the short term.

Personally, I prefer to ride without drinking, although I have ridden regular unicycles and my EUC after moderate drinking and it seems fairly safe. 

9 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

License will be pulled no mater what you ride, or drive.

In my country (Austria) driving licences could also be pulled by just walking intoxicated. If one walks on the street endagering traffic and by this showing one is not "in the mental state to possess" a driving licence.

2 minutes ago, deflated tractioninterface said:

If anxiety or "survival reactions" to borrow a phrase from Keith Code, are holding you back, a little alcohol will probably help more than hurt.

If you are an alcoholic, or have been drinking a lot the day before, a little alcohol will bring you back to your baseline, and will help more than hurt.

If you're depressed, or have other mental issues, a little alcohol may make your brain feel good enough to operate and help rather than hurt. 

Other things equal, alcohol hurts your reaction time, awareness, mental and athletic performance. But other things are rarely equal and alcohol often ends up benefitting humans in the short term.

Personally, I prefer to ride without drinking, although I have ridden regular unicycles and my EUC after moderate drinking and it seems fairly safe. 

None of that. but it gives a good input. anxiety aint there at all. Prolly that is one of the factors, who knows. Reaction times.. that is well known, I already said it. to end it, I never ride intoxicated, Im way too much aware of the riscs. :)

5 minutes ago, Chriull said:

In my country (Austria) driving licences could also be pulled by just walking intoxicated. If one walks on the street endagering traffic and by this showing one is not "in the mental state to possess" a driving licence.

Same here in Sweden. too many occasions of drunk in public, your wasted. Driving licence goes first... etc aftermath comes on your head. I like those rules! Strict and forward, no bullshit. should be in every country, global.

24 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

I stress this again. What dynamics is going on here?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

Same here in Sweden. too many occasions of drunk in public, your wasted. Driving licence goes first... etc aftermath comes on your head. I like those rules! Strict and forward, no bullshit. should be in every country, global.

One world order much? Thoughts like these make me fear for the future.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I literally got my EUC to get to the pub and back when they tightened the dui laws in Aust. When i first started i couldnt get to the pub without having to step off at some point.  But strangely could get home without having to step off.

Ive probably done that return trip over a few 100 times without incident.

I smoked for the first time in a long time a few weeks ago.
And had some drinks... man... riding was okay but...

I had trouble not drifting away. So all of a sudden I was 500 meters or 1 km further than where I previously was.
I was wondering why the alarm on my 16X wasn't going off because I was pretty sure I was doing at least 100 kmh.
I thought there was something wrong with the wheel and that I had unlocked the mythical 60 kmh speed limit.

I had zero problem with coordination though and could ride perfectly.
I was basically on auto-pilot.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

One world order much? Thoughts like these make me fear for the future.

Lol, not gonna happen so dont worry. Good order is fine. World order? Thats bs, but still its pretty close as for today. Doesnt matter if we like it or not.

Mike Sacristan said:
"I had zero problem with coordination though and could ride perfectly.
I was basically on auto-pilot."

Might be the last sentence that gives it away. 'Auto pilot'... Seems Im getting closer to figure out the dynamics. :)

Edited by MikieSWE
added a re:

I DO NOT PROMOTE this kind of driving. 

Yet I had had my fair share of driving after drinking. Everything depends where I'm driving and how intoxicated I am. It's a big no no for driving on road or in crowded places.

I find it ok to drive after few beers, if you're careful and you're keeping it slow. I drove few times around midnight when I couldn't hurt anyone, when basically everyone is home sleeping or I used not much used sidewalks. It might seem you're on an autopilot, but still you never know when somebody jumps in front of you.

I actually got hurt one time when me a my friend bumped to each other and I hit the pavement. Nothing too bad, just hit my elbow. 

Therefore don't drink and drive.