Jump to content
MikieSWE

EUC and drinking?

Recommended Posts

I was out with friends and had a blast one evening. We discussed "how 'bout euc and drinking", how would it be?

I have, to admit a foul move, but it was for me interesting in a safe environment, tho.

Have anyone experienced that?

What I do not want is a flame thread about this, but a discussion about the fact. Respect this issue.

So, thread is open, do your input.

/Mikie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drink water before I ride my EUC often.  Need to stay hydrated.  What's the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few beers and jumped on my wheel. It gave me more fluid motions if you ask me.

Pun intended

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small amount alcohol can help fight against fear. But fear keeps you alive. Is two side coin. 

More alcohol in blood slows you reaction injury coming propably. 

Quantity is individual weight healt condition related. 

Better more save is smoke canabis on EUC not ruin stability. Incrase fun. Decision making is slow can create dangerous situations. Do what you want in control enviroment and full gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My preride warmup on  motorcross bikes, always included 2 beers quickly. Not 3, not 1, but 2 exactly. I would ride faster and safer with a slight buzz. I'm betting theres been TONS of studies to back this claim up. I didnt fare the same gains with OTHER mind/body altering substances tho(smoking seemed to make me feel i was riding ABOVE my bike and not on it...didnt help ANY.  I havent the skill yet to assume the same rule would apply to an euc for me. I also am not exactly sure how me having 2 beers and getting stopped on the street on my euc, would go.  The bad thing is that after those 2 beers wore off, I would be more fatigued. One could drink more beer, but then dehydration starts to become an issue. It may not be politically correct or even legal, but i stand by my claim that 2 beers on my 135lb ass = much better motocross performance. Of course, it is entirely up to an individual and how their own bodies react to the pollution of it. Fwiw, never got to see how 2 beers affected my sport bike performance, as 2 beers then driving, is akin to murdering nuns, in america anyhow.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably somebody bought his euc to get to the pub 🤣 but I think too much drinking and the ride should be quite wobbly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see me being able to ride decent up to about 5 or 6 beers or equivalent but any more could spell trouble, I wouldn't hesitate to ride after 2 or 3, but, I drink moderately 2 or 3 days a week on average so maybe I have a high tolerance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're in your own back yard then I guess it doesn't matter. If you go out on the public road or a place where there are pedestrians then, personally, I'd say you're being pretty stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A couple beers (and subtle buzz) can definitely loosen you up, which can be advantageous, but it's highly subjective and person-dependent. Two beers is my limit when riding; I won't say I haven't ridden home with more than that in me, but I'd advise against it: I'm the type who is extra cautious when I have a few drinks in me because I'm aware of decreased reaction time and coordination, but different people reacts differently to alcohol, and I know plenty of people whose bravado goes through the roof and who become reckless. It's also worth noting that judgement and decision-making are also affected...

I think a safe rule to follow is "Don't drink any more than you would if you were going to drive your car." EUCs are vehicles after all, so the same principles of not endangering one's self and others should apply. Also, I don't know what the law is in other countries, but in Spain you can get pulled over and subjected to a breathalyzer on an EUC, an escooter or even a bicycle, so a DUI is also something worth considering... 

Edited by travsformation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can confirm or rebut the deleterious effects of alcohol by performing the drop test.

Note that this is an extremely simple reaction test that requires minimal cognitive skills. More complex skills will have disproportionately longer reaction times.

People who think they handle a vehicle better when imbued are using up more of the safety margin they typically would leave if they weren't tipsy. Hence, the atrociously high death rate of drunk motorcyclists. That is, drunk bikers are involved in 40% of fatal bike crashes while comprising of much less than 40% of riders.

That's not to say you shouldn't drink and ride. Alcohol does reduce your fear of crashing, and if having a few drinks means you can dip into that margin of safety and beat others as a paid professional, then perhaps you should drink as much as you need to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

You can confirm or rebut the deleterious effects of alcohol by performing the drop test.

Note that this is an extremely simple reaction test that requires minimal cognitive skills. More complex skills will have disproportionately longer reaction times.

People who think they handle a vehicle better when imbued are using up more of the safety margin they typically would leave if they weren't tipsy. Hence, the atrociously high death rate of drunk motorcyclists. That is, drunk bikers are involved in 40% of fatal bike crashes while comprising of much less than 40% of riders.

That's not to say you shouldn't drink and ride. Alcohol does reduce your fear of crashing, and if having a few drinks means you can dip into that margin of safety and beat others as a paid professional, then perhaps you should drink as much as you need to win.

Very insightful, and I am apt to completely agree.  The science can't be disputed and alcohol does impair abilities.It seems that the 'margin of safety' argument contains the loophole I exploit when I used to drink a specific amount to obtain specific results.Perhaps my margin of safety was larger than need be when completely sober. After a MINOR amount of alcohol, i was quite possibly 'dipping into' the safety margin but hadn't lost enough reaction or fine motor skills, to wind up doing worse. It could have been sheer dumb luck that i never noticed an increase in accidents while pushing into the safety margin. To be fair tho, I approach a dirtbike assuming I'll fall...a LOT! I'm no where near the skill level on an euc to even start dipping into my 'margin of safety'. Then there's the argument that perhaps I was a bit looser and more likely to jump back up from a fall and not even recall it 20 minutes later. Perception is screwy as I never really dwelled on much but the ride. Fwiw, I NEVER tested this theory on the street. Im not just saying that to cover my ass.(sanctioned events sometimes have necessary rules against it)

Great response @LanghamP, I surely hope you are correct, as it does explain what I always wondered.. "Why do I seem to get better lap times even tho science tells me that I am physically impaired with 2 beers". My guess is BAC of .03 or .05 but hell, total guess. I can only hope to get enough skill on an euc that I would even fathom conducting the same 'tests' in the dirt. :dribble:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

After a MINOR amount of alcohol, i was quite possibly 'dipping into' the safety margin but hadn't lost enough reaction or fine motor skills, to wind up doing worse. It could have been sheer dumb luck that i never noticed an increase in accidents while pushing into the safety margin.

You could use Phenibut.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenibut

It's an antianxiety drug that doesn't impair motor skills. I've used it quite a bit for sparing, and indeed it's used a lot by boxers. You can get along with the business of picking someone apart instead of being worried of being hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You can get along with the business of picking someone apart instead of being worried of being hit.

You just summarised my whole life. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ridden home after a birthday party with zero problems. But being extra careful and riding slower.

I do know from experience that skating and drinking doesn't mix well though. In fact, my sister, dad and myself all have the scars to prove that. Coordination is definitely less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This afternoon, I was in a corporate covered lot, smooth and dry. Several guys were smoking and drinking. One asked me if he could ride. I told him "Not if you are drinking" (he was holding a beer) and I told him "my EUC was not insured." Then I rode away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

This afternoon, I was in a corporate covered lot, smooth and dry. Several guys were smoking and drinking. One asked me if he could ride. I told him "Not if you are drinking" (he was holding a beer) and I told him "my EUC was not insured." Then I rode away. 

Wow, a bit harsh. If i was on my mten I would have said "sure, cost ya a beer".  On my 18L tho, I'd probably say its expensive and harder than it looks. I'm guessing you are NOT  intending to be invited to any of their parties soon. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we are saying we should take drugs and/or imbibe alcohol to help with our riding????Seriously?.Run that one by your missus or ur mum and see how long your euc stays in one piece.LOL Maybe we should do it whilst driving ????:smartass:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Daley1 said:

So we are saying we should take drugs and/or imbibe alcohol to help with our riding????Seriously?.Run that one by your missus or ur mum and see how long your euc stays in one piece.LOL Maybe we should do it whilst driving ????:smartass:

 

On 4/24/2020 at 12:44 PM, RetroThruster said:

I could see me being able to ride decent up to about 5 or 6 beers or equivalent but any more could spell trouble, I wouldn't hesitate to ride after 2 or 3, but, I drink moderately 2 or 3 days a week on average so maybe I have a high tolerance.

It would be an interesting scientific study to see how rapidly your capabilities decline from alcohol on an EUC.  As we all know, alcohol affects your balance and an EUC needs a very coordinated balance.  A car less so and an motorcycle probably a little less than an EUC.  Obviously judgement is impaired too.  I wonder if a University would want to run a study on something like this.

Edited by Gazza-usa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Daley1 said:

So we are saying we should take drugs and/or imbibe alcohol to help with our riding????Seriously?.Run that one by your missus or ur mum and see how long your euc stays in one piece.LOL Maybe we should do it whilst driving ????:smartass:

I think we are discussing the grey area of it, yes. I must be lucky, as I'm an adult and my wife doesnt act like my mom. If i wanna toss down a bottle of Jack and ride naked in the street, she wouldnt stop me. She MAY video tape it as she'd recognize a bad idea when she heard/saw it.:cheers:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wow, a bit harsh. If i was on my mten I would have said "sure, cost ya a beer".  On my 18L tho, I'd probably say its expensive and harder than it looks. I'm guessing you are NOT  intending to be invited to any of their parties soon. :)

Didn't know any. of them. And it was my only EUC, the 18L. He was slurring his words.

Edited by GothamMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without inebriation, I wouldn’t own or have even tried a euc.   I thought my buddy was a doorknob for riding all the time. A little hoot and a few drinks later I got the balls to try it. I bought a ninebot e plus the next day and within a month I upgraded to something fancier.  I think you just need to ride slow, and stay away from traffic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...