EUC and drinking?

MikieSWE

Since I was admitting and opening up this subject I was wondering how the community would respond.
----> I do NOT promote any of this kind of action, ever! <----

What struck me was an experience and wondering...  how the heck I would be able to run  with more ease
on something that would demand more skill of balance than a normal roller skates, bicycle, motorbike, or as e.g. skateboard?
I got few answers on pointing that out.

Afterwards, I was thinking that it might have to do with a sort of pivoting point of balance that EUC drivers has to hang
around and, all in all, it has to do with centering that point. Probably only a video would tell the difference in certain stages,
but for me it felt just as natural as no drink at all. Weird! However my normal reaction time and so on was a bit offset, but
still... it felt as natural as sober. This still puzzles my mind. What kind of dynamics is going on here? :efef2e0fff:

I would say I got a load of interesting and thoughtful answers. Thanks! :thumbup:

• Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 3:11 AM, Gazza-usa said:

It would be an interesting scientific study to see how rapidly your capabilities decline from alcohol on an EUC.  As we all know, alcohol affects your balance and an EUC needs a very coordinated balance.  A car less so and an motorcycle probably a little less than an EUC.  Obviously judgement is impaired too.  I wonder if a University would want to run a study on something like this.

I would definitely enlist for that study! :cheers:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

I would definitely enlist for that study! :cheers:

Count me in! Im a lightweight so it won't cost ya much! May be hard to study, as I make drunken decisions while sober too. Flashbacks anyone?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Having a drink to loosen up is something the skiing and snowboarding community have been doing for years. In Europe they encourage a shot of schnapps to take the tension out of your legs. I agree that there is a fine line. I've been drunk/hungover snowboarding before and a hard slam due to slow brain to body reaction soon put an end to anything like that ever happening again.

I also am not at the skill level to consider it and I also think the added dimension of being on the road (vs a slope) is a recipe to get EUC'ing banned outright. Of course that would probably depend on us all being p!ssheads riding drunk all the time.

I've been drunk on a bike and like some others I felt it was the wrong side of 'loosened up' so I know I will avoid that in future.

Agree with the comment from @GothamMike no chance I'm going to let a drunk guy on my wheel. He would have fallen or dropped the wheel (being drunk he probably would have been like : "washtt ver problam, maaayte. Ishhh jushht a sssratch" Sober or drunk people still see these as toys and I think do not quite understand the ability they have. I think generally people equate them with hoverboards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

You can get a DUI on any vehicle!!! Don't be stupid... Could get your license or your vehicle taken away from you...

I see your point. I'm not exactly sure your license could be pulled, as an euc doesnt require one. Probably depends on local regulations and your attorney. I could definitely see how getting a DUI on an euc while operating drunk on public roads, could be a big no-no for most municipalities. Of course we ALL know that this thread and all responses contained within, are merely hypothetical.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried again. As ShanesPlanet mention, License will be pulled no mater what you ride, or drive. My, call it investigation if you like, or pure stupidity.. I dont care. Getting intoxicated and get on the wheel... Feels wierd. I wont drive a bicycle even in that stage. EUC? wtf is going on? Im straight line no matter what...  Please elaborate with me with this... I dont get it. I did few tests in a closed environment... and my experience was.. it didnt matter. reactions was shit but I could do a 200 yard straight line no matter what. that puzzles me. speed 12-15mph or 20-24kph. My turns was a bit double. lol. what dynamics is going on here?

If anxiety or "survival reactions" to borrow a phrase from Keith Code, are holding you back, a little alcohol will probably help more than hurt.

If you are an alcoholic, or have been drinking a lot the day before, a little alcohol will bring you back to your baseline, and will help more than hurt.

If you're depressed, or have other mental issues, a little alcohol may make your brain feel good enough to operate and help rather than hurt. 

Other things equal, alcohol hurts your reaction time, awareness, mental and athletic performance. But other things are rarely equal and alcohol often ends up benefitting humans in the short term.

Personally, I prefer to ride without drinking, although I have ridden regular unicycles and my EUC after moderate drinking and it seems fairly safe. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

License will be pulled no mater what you ride, or drive.

In my country (Austria) driving licences could also be pulled by just walking intoxicated. If one walks on the street endagering traffic and by this showing one is not "in the mental state to possess" a driving licence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deflated tractioninterface said:

If anxiety or "survival reactions" to borrow a phrase from Keith Code, are holding you back, a little alcohol will probably help more than hurt.

If you are an alcoholic, or have been drinking a lot the day before, a little alcohol will bring you back to your baseline, and will help more than hurt.

If you're depressed, or have other mental issues, a little alcohol may make your brain feel good enough to operate and help rather than hurt. 

Other things equal, alcohol hurts your reaction time, awareness, mental and athletic performance. But other things are rarely equal and alcohol often ends up benefitting humans in the short term.

Personally, I prefer to ride without drinking, although I have ridden regular unicycles and my EUC after moderate drinking and it seems fairly safe. 

None of that. but it gives a good input. anxiety aint there at all. Prolly that is one of the factors, who knows. Reaction times.. that is well known, I already said it. to end it, I never ride intoxicated, Im way too much aware of the riscs. :)

5 minutes ago, Chriull said:

In my country (Austria) driving licences could also be pulled by just walking intoxicated. If one walks on the street endagering traffic and by this showing one is not "in the mental state to possess" a driving licence.

Same here in Sweden. too many occasions of drunk in public, your wasted. Driving licence goes first... etc aftermath comes on your head. I like those rules! Strict and forward, no bullshit. should be in every country, global.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

Same here in Sweden. too many occasions of drunk in public, your wasted. Driving licence goes first... etc aftermath comes on your head. I like those rules! Strict and forward, no bullshit. should be in every country, global.

One world order much? Thoughts like these make me fear for the future.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I literally got my EUC to get to the pub and back when they tightened the dui laws in Aust. When i first started i couldnt get to the pub without having to step off at some point.  But strangely could get home without having to step off.

Ive probably done that return trip over a few 100 times without incident.

• Like 1

I smoked for the first time in a long time a few weeks ago.
And had some drinks... man... riding was okay but...

I had trouble not drifting away. So all of a sudden I was 500 meters or 1 km further than where I previously was.
I was wondering why the alarm on my 16X wasn't going off because I was pretty sure I was doing at least 100 kmh.
I thought there was something wrong with the wheel and that I had unlocked the mythical 60 kmh speed limit.

I had zero problem with coordination though and could ride perfectly.
I was basically on auto-pilot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

One world order much? Thoughts like these make me fear for the future.

Lol, not gonna happen so dont worry. Good order is fine. World order? Thats bs, but still its pretty close as for today. Doesnt matter if we like it or not.

Mike Sacristan said:
"I had zero problem with coordination though and could ride perfectly.
I was basically on auto-pilot."

Might be the last sentence that gives it away. 'Auto pilot'... Seems Im getting closer to figure out the dynamics. :)

Edited by MikieSWE
added a re:

• 6 months later...

I googled this topic after surprising discover when I found myself having much higher skill on my EUC after some doze of alkohol. Don't get me wrong, I would never got into my car after a half of the beer, but I tried once, and then second and third time to ride the EUC in a garage, at night and it appeared I'm freakin pro when not 100% sober. Now I'm trying to figure how can that be.

I know I'm prolly breaking the 'woke' laws here but honestly & sincerely, I can't believe this is even a topic for discussion. Is there any doubt that drinking & operating any type of machinery, not to mention fast moving & likely dangerous to self & others, is a very (very very....) bad idea??

Unlike dope, there's a colossal amount of research & studies on the effects of alcohol as a cns depressant which impairs cognitive mental & motor functions which is exactly the opposite of what we want as responsible adults operating a fast moving vehicle. For those whose arguments are I only had 1 (or 1/2) a drink so there's no intoxicating effect, I would also offer a counter argument of why drink in the 1st place if there is no intoxicating effect/s? Isn't the whole point of alcohol to have the highs of intoxication.

For those whose argument/s are better performance after drinking (however slight), there is no ie. ZERO, NEGATORY evidence of such except anecdotal (& likely self serving). If there was/is such, I'm sure billions would be delighted as it would then be the prescribed treatment for all of man's ills (wait...don't we already self prescribe alcohol as such which is why there's such a problem as substance abuse🤔). Hence I would ascribe such delusions as psychosomatism which btw, is a real disease.

IMHO alcohol & EUCs are not even a subject to be entertained but instead, a TABOO to be avoided at all costs. Sorry for being the buzzkill here but don't blame the messenger.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MajsterRS said:

I googled this topic after surprising discover when I found myself having much higher skill on my EUC after some doze of alkohol. Don't get me wrong, I would never got into my car after a half of the beer, but I tried once, and then second and third time to ride the EUC in a garage, at night and it appeared I'm freakin pro when not 100% sober. Now I'm trying to figure how can that be.

Not good to drink and drive any vehicle whatsoever.

drink-alcohol-you-shouldnt-mess-you-up-it-will.jpg

Edited by Bumblebees
Yoda

6 hours ago, MajsterRS said:

it appeared I'm freakin pro when not 100% sober. Now I'm trying to figure how can that be.

1) You fall left, and the EUC (is the only vehicle that) auto-corrects.

2) Your senses are severely altered, so what felt like a perfect turn/move/ride, probably was anything but. If you’d taken your riding on video and watched it when sober, your view might change drastically.

But as has been said, reaction time on an EUC is just as if not more crucial than on other vehicles. Alcohol trumps it right away, well before you feel a bit tipsy.

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

IMHO alcohol & EUCs are not even a subject to be entertained but instead, a TABOO to be avoided at all costs.

I agree with everything else in your post except the word “taboo”. This is an important aspect to discuss, so people wouldn’t be stupid enough to think that riding tipsy would be ok.

I've rode multiple times after one, sometimes 2 beers. River bike path, no cars and not busy seems perfectly fine, can't even really tell a difference.

Mnt bike single track that is steep and rocky or rutted (or both) I'd want to be rested and sober as a saint. 

I think there is a huge difference between cruising and performance riding. 

I don't see anything wrong with a small wheel in the driveway or garage testing different levels of inebriation. Might be a fun time to see where the drink limit is to mount a wheel, then use a wall to mount and find the limit to ride at all.

But never more than a couple of beers when around the public.

@ShanesPlanet I think my wife would record this, she also knows when hilarity is about to happen!

I've never drank any amount of alcohol while riding an EUC. But I haven't had a single sip of alcohol for as long as I can remember. About 10 years.
As much as I enjoyed getting super drunk when I was young I have accepted that alcohol is not a good way to have fun. It's poor. So poor it's almost ridiculous. It goes hand in hand with hobos.
We are all pushed towards alcohol use as a means of entertainment due to legislation as well as MASS marketing. It's all over the movies, music, cartoons and of course commercials. People are completely brainwashed into believing that this substance is benign and they think that this is confirmed by the fact that most people don't become full blown alcoholics. Most people just drink a little bit and are fine. They get up and go to work and they feel just fine. The alcohol is not a major issue for them. Perhaps it will cause early liver failure much later in life but that's another issue.

The point is this. If you look at another disgusting drug such as let's say.................. crystal methamphetamine hydrochloride (aka ice)

You find similar results. I experience meeting many people from different countries where they use different drugs. There are some countries where the use of ice is extremely common. For those that don't know, ice is the most potent form of crystal meth. The majority of these ice users just use a little bit and there's no issue. They look after their families, they get up for work, no problem. But just like with alcohol a small percentage of the users (around 5% maybe a little higher) get completely demolished. Their lives totally obliterated. They basically get a ticket to hell.

But...............alcoholism is even worse than ice addiction. Far worse in fact. Those unfortunate few that fall to alcoholism have it far worse than the ice addicts.
They look FAR worse. They smell FAAAR worse. After all it's not a pleasant thing. We all had to "aquire" a taste for alcohol. Nobody naturally likes the taste. You naturally want to spit it out because it's a potent poison. Maybe 1 in 1000 people naturally do like the taste. But it's not the norm. It's not what nature intended. Some people have 12 fingers. Mistakes can happen.

Once you do "aquire" the taste for alcohol it's still kind of a challenge to drink. People ubiquitously use "chasers" and other things to mask that strong disgusting taste. People know deep down inside that it's disgusting. The taste and the smell. The look of a drunk person is not really pleasant either since their facial muscles are heavily affected by the drug. And of course the use of alcohol massively influences behavior. It can and will transform the most elequent person in the whole world, into a bumbling bafoon that can't drive, can't even see properly, can't even talk properly, can't even walk properly, can't even stand up straight.

Sometimes can't even sit in a damn chair without literally face planting. BUT.....the alcohol should improve their ability to be violent and/or vulgar.

It's really quite a scary drug when you realize the facts right in front of our faces. And a mere $20 worth of alcohol equates to a fatal dose. I mean cmon now.....

On 4/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, DjPanJan said:

Better more save is smoke canabis on EUC not ruin stability. Incrase fun. Decision making is slow can create dangerous situations. Do what you want in control enviroment and full gear. 

I've been a medical user of cannabis for about 20 years. Smoking it isn't really the best thing although it's still a million times healthier than drinking a freaking solvent such as ethanol. That's what alcohol drinkers are doing. Drinking ethanol, a solvent. Solvents are powerful cleaning agents that will kill any living cell upon breaching protective barriers such as lipid layers. Yeah solvents! Think paint thinner.

Okay back to the cannabis smoking. Not the best thing to do but I did smoke cannabis virtually every single day throughout my 5 years studying mechanical engineering. I completed the degree with 1st class honours and I would have certainly not done so well if I didn't have the cannabis. I was still drinking alcohol back at university but only on the weekends or at parties. The alcohol did not help one single bit with my studies. Just took away tons of time and energy. I found that the cannabis can help dramatically with an alcohol hangover though. It makes sense because it's ubiquitously prescribed for migraines in places where it's medically available. And it's a wonder drug for that.

I no longer smoke cannabis though. I now vaporize it and it's completely different. I've come to realize that smoking cannabis gives you a slight hangover. Takes away some energy. And it also doesn't smell good. No where near as foul as tobacco smoke. But still there's a somewhat unpleasant smell that it leaves on your breath and clothing. But cannabis also has a very pleasant smell. The bad smell is just a result of the combustion.
When you vaporize cannabis rather than burning it, you're not left with any bad smell AT ALL. And you don't get a hangover effect. It's an amazing difference and I'll never go back to smoking it. The thing is though that you need to have a very good quality vaporizer or you will just go back to smoking. I use the cloud evo and it's amazing.

@MikieSWEI'm not hating on you guys for drinking alcohol. And I don't even care that you ride your EUC drunk as long as no one else is around to potentially get hurt. I just think alcohol is a very bad drug. A hard drug. But I'm cool with people using bad drugs. I have friends that use all sorts of drugs. Most of them are just fine and they only use once per week or less.
But I believe that they shouldn't use at all. And I believe that in a better, cleaner society, let's say one that doesn't promote the drinking of solvents for happiness, they would be in a better place. And they wouldn't use these hard drugs at all. But our society is full of strange things like suicide for example.

Here's a very interesting fact:
Human suicides per year: 800 000
Wild animal suicides per year: ZERO

No wild animal has ever tried to commit suicide. EVER. The fact that humans kill themselves in such huge numbers is a testament to the state of health of modern society. It's a self destructive one where people tend towards behaving in ways that are destructive to themselves. Another example of this is nail biting. Very common.

And the fact that cannabis is illegal in most of the world is like the icing on the cake. I mean the S#@t Sundae

By the way I've ridden all of my EUC miles while on cannabis. That's over 2500 miles now. But cannabis is nothing at all like alcohol. It's the opposite.
When you drive drunk, you feel like you're going slower than you really are. I remember driving a car really drunk and thinking I'm just going about 50 km/h but I was really doing 100 km/h. I mean wow!
But when you are on cannabis it's the exact opposite. You're only going 50 km/h but you feel like you're going 100 km/h. The result is that cannabis makes you more careful. More focused on the task at hand. Note that cannabis is used a lot for attention deficit disorder. I have driven countless miles in cars and on motorcycles while under the influence of cannabis and I have an exceptional track record compensating for other drivers' mistakes. It's happened so many times I don't even beep my horn anymore. Happens even more on my EUC. I actually don't mind when some idiot starts pulling out and I do a big weave to go around them. Makes the journey more interesting. As long as I don't have any scary close calls though.

There is a caveat with the cannabis though. For the novice user the effect of cannabis will send them on a wild ride. They should not be driving a car. But even if they did it would be FAR safer than driving drunk. Not even in the same ballpark. They would most likely be perfectly fine but it would probably be scary.

Edited by UniGrad
  • Like 2