MSX riding mode - range impact?

Hey, I am gonna get my first Gotway wheel next month, its gonna be the 84V MSX with 1859Wh battery mod...

I am 175lbs, nearly 6 feet and I ride pretty fast, around 30mph all the time if it is possible...

What about the riding modes? I need to get the best range out of it... I know that slower speed is the biggest factor of getting more range,but still the riding modes surely have some impact...

I am an experienced rider, 2500km on 18XL.

Is the soft mode the best for getting the most range out of the MSX? 

Also a higher tire pressure should help me get more range...

Thank you for any tips! Stay safe!

Having had exactly the same wheel, I would say that 30mph is right on the edge of the 80% alarm for much of the time. At full batt you hit it around 31/32mph. I'm not far off your weight and height either.

Anyway, with that aside, you would be looking to get about 30 miles at that speed. Prob not as much as you were expecting, but many riders don't run a full battery at that speed which is asking a lot from an 1859wh wheel. 25mph would make a massive difference to range - maybe 40 miles. And at 20mph average you might see 50. Riding modes do make a difference apparently but I never ran anything other than medium so can't comment. I doubt it will really make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

I run 25psi so you could scrape a few more miles out of it at 35psi+

My best tip? Get a 6A charger if you like riding :) we have done 70 miles a day with one which makes for an awesome day out.

Anyway, it's an awesome wheel, you'll love it. It will be interesting to hear how you feel it compares to an 18XL, which I've never ridden.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Having had exactly the same wheel, I would say that 30mph is right on the edge of the 80% alarm for much of the time. At full batt you hit it around 31/32mph. I'm not far off your weight and height either.

Anyway, with that aside, you would be looking to get about 30 miles at that speed. Prob not as much as you were expecting, but many riders don't run a full battery at that speed which is asking a lot from an 1859wh wheel. 25mph would make a massive difference to range - maybe 40 miles. And at 20mph average you might see 50. Riding modes do make a difference apparently but I never ran anything other than medium so can't comment. I doubt it will really make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

I run 25psi so you could scrape a few more miles out of it at 35psi+

My best tip? Get a 6A charger if you like riding :) we have done 70 miles a day with one which makes for an awesome day out.

Anyway, it's an awesome wheel, you'll love it. It will be interesting to hear how you feel it compares to an 18XL, which I've never ridden.

Thank you for a great reply!

Yeah, I was expecting to do around 30-35 miles with it... Range testing is gonna be the first thing I am gonna do with the wheel after a few battery cycles... I want to do a 20mph, 25mph and 30mph battery drain test on for example 30 miles track.

I saw guys doing 35mph on the MSX pretty easily, so 30mph shouldnt be a problem for this wheel to hold for 25 miles straight....

4 minutes ago, Planemo said:

the 3rd alarm (80% power) cannot be disabled. At all. It's your last line of defence prior to faceplant so you wouldn't really want to.

Very different from the KS wheel tho

tyre pressure is the most effective thing that change your range, hard/soft acceleration and braking are really important too.

riding mode is nothing compared to those factors

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

the 3rd alarm (80% power)

To be precise, the alarm plays at ~80% of the unloaded top speed at current battery level. Not directly related to available or used power.

While the effect from the soft riding mode is smaller than from the others mentioned here, ~10% is still several miles. I do switch to soft myself if my battery is running low and I’m still a long way from home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

To be precise, the alarm plays at ~80% of the unloaded top speed at current battery level. Not directly related to available or used power.

Yes, thanks for clarifying :) I was just trying to get across to the OP that not all speed alarms work the same way, and to not fixate on what top speed is possible based on what the immediate, switch-on battery percentage says. I also have a feeling that some wheels use a much more 'average' battery level to feed their speed limit warnings whereas GW seems to poke the 3rd alarm at you even if there is a split second voltage drop. As I am sure you are aware, you can almost 'play' with the GW 3rd alarm, getting it to chirp at will just by adding a tiny bit of forward lean (without actually increasing speed) when near the max speed. I am not sure all wheels do this, I certainly never had it with the Z10. Maybe the Z just runs the alarms at a much lower threshold relative to what the wheel can actually spin at, whereas GW push it to the max, takes a much more frequent battery % sampling rate and so the 3rd alarm is much more 'active' as a result. Maybe the next time I fully charge the Z I will check the lift speed and see. If it's relatively much higher to the alarm than the MSX I guess theres the answer :)

Not sure if I have made any of that very understandable...! in short, the Z seems far less interested in 'immediate' power requirements to generate alarms. In other words, it either suffers from far less sag than the msx OR it's taking more average/fewer battery readings OR the speed alarms are far below what the wheel can actually do so the alarms are not so eager. For sure, they seem far less current dependant as the top speed alarm triggers at pretty much the same speed whether going uphill, into high wind or anything else which increases current draw. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

While the effect from the soft riding mode is smaller than from the others mentioned here, ~10% is still several miles. I do switch to soft myself if my battery is running low and I’m still a long way from home.

Thank you! So I guess I am gonna ride on soft or medium all the time, I will just try both and see... The third alarm will maybeget irritating soon lol, but it is gonna keep myself from riding too fast and in the end increase my range due to me riding slower...

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Please do let us know what your findings are re mode setting/range - I don't think theres much data for it so it would be interesting to hear if you get some conclusive info :)

I am gonna get 3 different-speed range tests, and after those try the 3 different-moder range tests. 

We will see... For the tire pressure I will stick on around 30-35 PSI, we got a lot of bumps ans canals around here...