Summer padded Jacket

i have a joerocket mesh motorcycle jacket that's not bad. i bought it used on ebay. since i didn't try it on i took a gamble and the fit is  too big. you have to pay decent money for airflow.ver

summer time i typically wet the  shirt i'll wear and freeze it/refrigerate it, then put over my fox racing titan knockoff and then put some ice cubes in my pant pocket or pockets of my bicycing tshirt if that's what im wearing.  needless to say i don't think i look good, but most likely the heat dries out the wetness in the pockets after a while

29 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

I'm strongly considering one of these (as recommended by @PennBruce)

The shirt paid for itself today.  I finally got my butt down on the seat of my 18XL and promptly fell off the back.  No damage to me or the shirt.

Bruce

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, someguy152 said:

i have a joerocket mesh motorcycle jacket that's not bad. i bought it used on ebay. since i didn't try it on i took a gamble and the fit is  too big. you have to pay decent money for airflow.ver

I have a similar mesh jacket but it's just too bulky for hot weather wear on the wheel.

Bruce 

Edited by PennBruce

18 minutes ago, someguy152 said:

I put some ice cubes in my bicycling shorts and needless to say i think i look good...

...well, maybe not when the cubes melt...though most likely better when the heat dries out the wetness.

7e068fbcl-that-junk.jpg

(he didn't really say that, but that's the way I read it...)

• Like 1

olympia mesh ftw.  My mesh jacket is COOLER than a cotton t-shirt when moving. This is WITH elbows/shoulder and back (well the back is kinda warm). I recently send my mesh olympia pants to be altered too(im 31"x35" ), but they were cool enough my little nuggets ran into my stomach(the pants had pitiful padding, so I put other in it: hips/knees).. Seems like bicycle gear is the niche to hunt, as motocross gear can be quite a bit heavier.  Bad thing is, the good mesh stuff isnt too cheap and it sells out fast.  Heres my gear. I know it looks hot, but it really isnt. I was freezing my ass off at 10mph on a 60 degree day. The jacket does REALLY well at supermoto speeds in summer heat (if you dont stand still). Know this: if you want cooler mesh gear, be prepared to replace it after much crashing. The compromise for light and cool is that it isnt designed for longevity. Call it 'disposable protection' if you will. Full riding leather last forever, but its got its own compromises and heat is merely one of them. Having pants that zip to a jacket in the back, both keeps fluttering down and keeps everything from sliding up should you eat shit at speeds. If i had any ass, it would also hide a plumbers crack. Moto/bike gear is designed to fit when in riding position. Riding an euc is similar as we lean, tho the knees aren't usually bent so much. If comfort, quality and service are important to you, I would veer clear of the cheaper brands that are so popular..  I wont name names, but if you keep hearing the kids exclaim how great it is, you can almost surely know that they are speaking from a slim budget and havent gotten the chance to try expensive quality yet. My first 30 yrs of gear was ONLY the 'cheaper brands'. I thought it was the best stuff... THEN I spent a fortune and realized how ignorant I was. If you dont plan on paying a lot for the rest of your life, DO NOT buy anything nice now or youll be hooked. Above all, fitment is most important. Don't do like i have had to my entire life and buy the wrong size to save money. In fairness to me, Im so odd in dimensions, i have to buy quality gear, THEN pay a fortune to have it altered, or it never fits. Hooray for professional seamstress' that pose as mothers!

Street Ready.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Don't do like i have had to my entire life and buy the wrong size to save money

ugh story of my life...parents brought me up on garage sale clothes and hand me downs. i actually like loose fitting clothing, but safety gear should fit!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, someguy152 said:

ugh story of my life...parents brought me up on garage sale clothes and hand me downs. i actually like loose fitting clothing, but safety gear should fit!

If it don't fit, it don't stay put. I would be SOOO pissed to find i had spent months of my life compromising comfort for safety, only to find out that during a crash, my uncomfortable gear didnt help for shit. My jacket is big on me but has lotsa cinch points. The pants...well, to get knees to stay in place during a crash, you need legs that fill the pant and a waist to fit. I'm still searching for that combo(fingers crossed).  Cheap gear, expensive gear, minimal gear, no gear..   All are perfectly fine choices to me, as long as the decision is made knowingly. Saddens me to think of how many people buy sub par ill-fitted gear and honestly didnt realize the compromise they had made.  If you're going to run thru the briar patch naked, its only fair you KNOW you're naked first. :)   *waiting for @Rehab1 to help us with the visualization of that last one*

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

waiting for @Rehab1 to help us with the visualization of that last one*

My wife is becoming concerned that I’m playing with my pencil too much so I need to pass tonight. :o

16 hours ago, rolekl said:

I got myself one of these.

https://www.motocentral.co.uk/held-tropic-3-0-textile-jacket-black.html

I will try to add an extra layer of D3O padding though, or replace the existing hard protectors since they move around a bit.

Swapping out armor is almost ALWAYS required when I get something new. My jacket got lucky and has nice d30 in elbows and shoulders. But, I still had to buy a back pad. My pants came with ce rated armor that must have been bribed for rating, as it's total shit and hurt my knees from a simple standing. So... BOOM, nearly another $100 out the door for quality knees and hips. GOod news is that good armor lasts and even after the fabric is ruined, you MAY still reuse it. Bad news is, some of this d30 type armor seems to fall apart over time on its own.. Always a catch 22 aint it? Thats a good looking jacket! If it fits well enough, youll be fine and dandy in it. If the armor moves too much and its ill fitting, make due but keep looking. Me, I fill up the pockets as much I can with armor. Cool thing about this softer armor is its easily cut to size. My knees are actually elbow pads, they just seem to fit and stay in place on my knobs easier.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's so true. Costly hobby, this. This jacket will be fine for in-town errands, customer meetings etc when I want the more inconspicuous look. I'm still looking at the Knox Zephyr though for the pure pleasure trips when I might go faster and further. Another Eur 300 but better fitting and with back and chest protectors. We'll see...

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/mens-zephyr-pro/

• Like 1

I got one of these for the summer, it's brilliant. I think they are discontinued now but lots of other options available. Unfortunately many of them are black/dark which is exactly what you don't want in the summer. I did use to use a Nukeproof/661 body armour jacket but they are a bit Robocop so I used to run an MTB jersey over the top. It became a bit of a hassle though when I stopped for a charge/coffee as I had to take the jersey off, then the armour (which is tight fitting). The all in one jacket just makes things so much easier to don/doff and being cordura it's actually better for abrasion than the usual Robocop body armours which are only really held together with a very lightweight mesh.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/56433

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,  I bought this jacket off of amazon.  For  $41.99 + a 10% coupon i thought I'd give it a try.  Been riding with it for about a week, and for the price it seems reasonable.  So the bad first:  1) the armor's a joke, just a bit of ensolite, however the pads in my winter jacket fit (easy trade out).  2) Pockets are a bit small, they fit my big phone but would like a little more room and bigger zipper openings. 3) when you first open the bag is smells like 2 plastic Ken dolls have been screwing in a sealed bag for a week, then died, but a day or 2 of airing out and it goes away.

The Good: Cheep!,  After a few wears it soften's nicely, offers coverage with good air flow!  

Viking Cycle Ironside Textile Mesh Motorcycle Jacket for Men - Adjustable, CE Approved Breathable Armor for Bikers
by Total Niches

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXJVS5F/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_YBEOEb3CKSASS

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wazi Bat said:

3) when you first open the bag is smells like 2 plastic Ken dolls have been screwing in a sealed bag for a week, then died, but a day or 2 of airing out and it goes away.

Viking Cycle Ironside Textile Mesh Motorcycle Jacket for Men - Adjustable, CE Approved Breathable Armor for Bikersby Total Niches

:w00t2:

Honest question: Could we have seen Ken's nipples? (How "meshy" is the mesh?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farqaleet said:

Motorbikes are like a bullet. You should never compromise on-track safety. The first thing you must wearing during riding is a helmet. You must also use a race suit, gloves and boots. These things will give you complete protection. I have also bought all these things from Moto Speeds. And these things fostered a passion for motorbike riding.

How much did these suits cost from moto speeds? , it’s not clear on their website

Important is. Motocycle protection is based on sliders.

EUC is better use MTB MC Enduro protection based on impact principe damage/energy reduction level 2 ideal.🥽

Universal euc use take MTB MC Enduro protection.💞

On race EUC style on aphalt tarmac where is not threes rocks roots focus on motocycle gear level 1 is acceptable bcause sliders eat mutch energy from fall. 🏍

• Like 1

Guys I am total newbie on safety clothing. I don't tend to ride much above 20km/hr and most of my riding is in urban areas on pavements. I normally ride with a suit on, but I wonder if there is anything wear under a business shirt?

I just also  MacDavid 401 knee pads that I wear under my trousers when I am going longer distance trips around Hong Kong. It gets hot put when riding well you are relatively cool.

@Wazi Bat I'm interested in giving your cheapie Amazon jacket a try. Just curious how well it handles hot (Texas/Nevada) weather? After talking to support at RevZilla about a few mesh motorcycle jackets that looked pretty good, they said they'd recommend avoiding them for EUC riding because in addition to the mesh they also have a lot of heavier/thicker materials along the edges that are made to protect you from sliding on asphalt at 70+mph, which we EUC riders don't necessarily need (again, just quoting the guy). I'm in central Texas, and we had almost 60 days of 100+ degree weather here last year, so something that stays pretty darn cool for longer rides is a priority (I'm getting a KS18XL that I'm planning to use for commuting about 30 miles RT daily), but not spending a ton of money on it is also nice. It looks like the "coolest" two options I've seen are the Bohn and Knox shirts, and only the Bohn comes in hi-viz color that is also important for me. Just wish there were some sub-$100 options similar to the Bohn and Knox shirts, but I understand that you get what you pay for.

Edited by FTW
  • Like 1

I've got a motorcycle mesh jacket (Bilt Techno) and it's definitely not as cool as I'd hoped for 100+ degree AZ summers. The airflow is pretty good, but the jacket itself still retains too much heat to use during the day. I hadn't seen the Bohn before, that looks really promising. Bought one to see if it's the solution for summer riding.

• Like 1

For those of you trying to decide between the Bohn Airtex and Bohn Cool-Air Mesh that have both been linked to from this thread, here is a good review that includes pictures of both of them on a person (pictures that are sadly lacking from the Bohn website):

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-protective-underwear-review/

This made it very clear to me that I wanted the Airtex over the Cool-Air Mesh, as the latter was a little too skimpy and see-through for my liking. Also the Cool-Air Mesh only comes in black (though it's so thin that it will actually show whatever color shirt you are wearing underneath), and I decided the hi-vis yellow color only offered on the Airtex was important for me based on my planned commuting habits (habits that will kick in once my larger wheel arrives, and more importantly once we can start commuting again 😁).

I found another jacket on Amazon for $90 that's a bit closer to a traditional mesh motorcycle jacket but that looks higher quality (and is better looking in my opinion) than the one Wazi Bat posted above that might work for people who don't need to wear it in 100º weather some of the time (and it also comes in hi-vis yellow for those of you EUC commuters like me who are more worried about staying alive than looking cool). I was tempted to give this one a try, but ultimately have decided on the Bohn Airtex for maximum airflow and flexibility of wearing it under my regular jackets when needed. I'd be interested to hear feedback on this jacket though from anyone who ends up buying it:

https://www.amazon.com/Xelement-CF6019-Invasion-Armored-Motorcycle/dp/B01DVH3XL6/

• Like 2