First things to do with the MSX?

Hey, so I am gonna buy the 1859Wh 84V MSX from Green&FashionStore. As it is a newer model, it has black pedals better angled, not as the original MSX production...no need to do anything with pedal I guess.

->I guess I am gonna buy a Mudguard and front bumper as the first things to do.

-Also thinking about the seat, is it usable on the msx for a 180cm / 5,9feet guy?

-Found some "speedypads" on the web for better acceleration/braking. Are those worth it? Or should I somehow make myself a pair of DIY pads?

-What are any other things to do on a "old but new" MSX?

-Should I open it and check the inside?

-Should I mount a better light? What about the tire pressure?I am 75kg and Im gonna ride fast n furious, mainly on asphalt roads, but there are several bumps, not a perfectly flat asphalt lol:(

-What app do you use on iOS? Is Darknessbot still the best? Or did gotway app get any better and it is usable now?
-Also the best free app for tracking the trips? Your suggestions?

Any other tips n tricks? It is gonna be my first gotway wheel n' I really want to be prepaired. So sorry for that many questions lol, thank you very much for any reply, hope youre doing great!

11 hours ago, ricqvo said:

I guess I am gonna buy a Mudguard and front bumper as the first things to do.

The GotWay mud guard is too small. My back was always wet and dirty after riding on wet ground, so I had to DIY.

-Also thinking about the seat, is it usable on the msx for a 180cm / 5,9feet guy?

Depends on how flexible you are with knee pads on... It wasn’t anywhere near tall enough for me (193cm 90kg).

-Found some "speedypads" on the web for better acceleration/braking. Are those worth it? Or should I somehow make myself a pair of DIY pads?

Some push pads are essential for any 18” wheel in my books. Wether you go DIY or buy, it’s all up to you.

-Should I open it and check the inside?

I haven’t read of cases that would’ve clearly benefited from having a peek inside first.

-Should I mount a better light?

If you ride in dark a lot and don’t wish to use a hand held flashlight, then yes. But replacing the headlight is not as simple as it may sound, since the power that is supplied has been optimized for the original LED element. I was able to install an upgrade, but it required a lot of testing and pure luck.

What about the tire pressure?

I made a tire pressure calculator to the download section of the forum, it should give you a reasonable starting point for experimenting. Maybe start at around 2.2-2.5 bars (33-38psi).

-What app do you use on iOS? Is Darknessbot still the best?

Absolutely. Now that the DB can calibrate and even set tilt-back all the way up to 69km/h (GW app max 48km/h), no reason to ever download the GW app.

Also the best free app for tracking the trips?

I use the free Komoot for route planning and tracking, but I know that there are even more alternatives in the US.

Any other tips n tricks?

I would start with the soft or medium riding mode. They are very different from any other manufacturer, so don’t be afraid of the word “soft”. It isn’t at all soft in the way you might be familiar with from other wheels. But it will help in getting the tank to stop faster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The GotWay mud guard is too small. My back was always wet and dirty after riding on wet ground, so I had to DIY.

Depends on how flexible you are with knee pads on... It wasn’t anywhere near tall enough for me (193cm 90kg).

Some push pads are essential for any 18” wheel in my books. Wether you go DIY or buy, it’s all up to you.

I haven’t read of cases that would’ve clearly benefited from having a peek inside first.

If you ride in dark a lot and don’t wish to use a hand held flashlight, then yes. But replacing the headlight is not as simple as it may sound, since the power that is supplied has been optimized for the original LED element. I was able to install an upgrade, but it required a lot of testing and pure luck.

I made a tire pressure calculator to the download section of the forum, it should give you a reasonable starting point for experimenting. Maybe start at around 2.2-2.5 bars (33-38psi).

Absolutely. Now that the DB can calibrate and even set tilt-back all the way up to 69km/h (GW app max 48km/h), no reason to ever download the GW app.

I use the free Komoot for route planning and tracking, but I know that there are even more alternatives in the US.

I would start with the soft or medium riding mode. They are very different from any other manufacturer, so don’t be afraid of the word “soft”. It isn’t at all soft in the way you might be familiar with from other wheels. But it will help in getting the tank to stop faster.

Thank you so much! 

So a front bumper, speedypads, mudguard and a seat is a yes. I am gonna try the original mudguard and diy it later. I am really bad at DIY anything, so...:D

I was thinking of mounting an additional flashlight on the top-front of the MSX, propably with some velcro...

What speed is a safe but fun speed to set the tiltback to? I will be riding I gues 35mph max. No more than that, so tiltback 36-37mph?

Also are those riding mods any better or worse for range?

5 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Things to do with new MSX here - 

This was the first thing that I have watched after telling myself I am gonna buy an MSX:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricqvo said:

What speed is a safe but fun speed to set the tiltback to?

Safety is not about speed, but instead where you use it, what is your personal comfort zone, how you observe and predict your surroundings, and prepare for worst. For example there are always bicyclists and pedestrians taking the left side of the way even in turns with zero visibility. In those places 20km/h (13mph) is not safe.

I have the tilt-back set to 50km/h (31mph), since that’s where I wish my comfort zone to end...

The tilt-back is smooth, but I suggest that you familiarize yourself with it at a lower speed.

2 hours ago, ricqvo said:

Also are those riding mods any better or worse for range?

No change. Tire pressure, riding mode and most importantly riding style and speed are what affect the range.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, JBT said:

When I set the tilt back to 55kph it doesn't tiltback why?

Despite DarknessBot allowing to set the tilt-back with 1km/h intervals, the firmware forces the value to be divided by three. So 55km/h will end up as 54 or 57, I don’t remember if it rounds up or down.

• Like 1