Email scams and (alleged) blackmailing/ransomware on the rise!

7 hours ago, travsformation said:

Including, your masturbation video footage, which brings me to the primary reason why I 'm composing this email to you.

Ugh....I received a similar message a few months ago so now I put tape over my camera. ;)

Applying your recommendations is definitely prudent. The 2 factor authentication process is highly recommended. My email account and bank now use both methods along with answering prepared secret questions. This forum also has a 2 factor authenticator if you elect to use it.

My worst experience was 10 years ago with my bank. Someone had hacked my email account which stores everything from IRS info to private letters. Based on all of the compartmentalized private information the hacker had accessed he was able to formulate a professionally written, personalized email to my business bank manager. 

The hacker had studied my phraseology and syntax and was able to compile a perfectly written email that completely fooled my bank manager. The email stated that I had just lost my brother to a tragic car accident in Arizona and that I needed funds wired to the state for funeral expenses. 

My bank manager never asked for additional proof of my identity because everything presented to her was completely in order. She also didn’t want to pry further as I had lost my son a few year’s earlier.

So at the hacker’s request $40,000 was wired to the Arizona bank. Thank God the Arizona’s bank manager became suspicious when the hacker arrived to collect the funds.

This episode resulted in a complete overhaul of the bank’s wire transfer policy. The bank manager did keep her job which I totally agreed with. We had formed a tight bond over 20 years and it was an honest, but stupid mistake. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ugh....I received a similar message a few months ago so now I put tape over my camera. ;)

Good idea with the tape. Do you leave the tape on all the time now, or just while you masturbate? :roflmao:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

Good idea with the tape. Do you leave the tape on all the time now, or just while you masturbate? :roflmao:

What do you mean? What’s the difference?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

What do you mean? What’s the difference?

:confused1:

20 hours ago, travsformation said:

Hi, you don't know me personally. However I know all the things regarding you. Your current fb contact list, phone contacts and all the digital activity in your computer from previous 175 days. 

Including, your masturbation video footage, which brings me to the primary reason why I 'm composing this email to you.

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ugh....I received a similar message a few months ago so now I put tape over my camera. 

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

8 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

(It was a joke. :lol:)

The tape is on all of the time but I do change it out after each session. ;)

• Like 3

And yet I'm still considered paranoid?  I second the tape on phone cameras. My ipad has been covered since day one. Not sure if the camera even works.  So, if they are stealing all passwords anyhow, can i just set them all to 1111? Using a login that verifies your password and phone, doesnt that just give them your phone number too? Yahoo and google have been fishing for my phone number for years. I cant receive texts on a home phone, so its a moot point. I wonder how long until hackers figure out how to fool facial recognition too? Of course, you'd have to have a camera for that.  All this devious hacking, no way in hell im using biometrics either. Just wait until everyone is sectioned off according to dna records, THEN we'll see some serious hacking.

@Rehab1 You patron a bank  that was willing to send that kind of money via wire transfer? Holy crap man, that half a fukn house they almost lost you. I'd stuff that shit in a safe and cancel those accounts. Friend or not, they ALMOST give away over 2 years salary. I dont trust banks, they dont care about your money, only you do. Last bank I had, I was VERY adamant about them requiring ID for ALL transactions. Even after 3 years (same 3 ladies) of knowing me, I still wanted them to verify ID. The day they forgot to ask was the last time I let them handle a single cent of mine. At least in tangible form, youll have to physically steal my money. All this digital identity and currency shit is just asking for trouble. Honestly, you hack me, its not costing me a dime.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 4/18/2020 at 12:44 AM, Rehab1 said:

Applying your recommendations is definitely prudent. The 2 factor authentication process is highly recommended. My email account and bank now use both methods along with answering prepared secret questions. This forum also has a 2 factor authenticator if you elect to use it.

My worst experience was 10 years ago with my bank. Someone had hacked my email account which stores everything from IRS info to private letters. Based on all of the compartmentalized private information the hacker had accessed he was able to formulate a professionally written, personalized email to my business bank manager. 

The hacker had studied my phraseology and syntax and was able to compile a perfectly written email that completely fooled my bank manager. The email stated that I had just lost my brother to a tragic car accident in Arizona and that I needed funds wired to the state for funeral expenses. 

My bank manager never asked for additional proof of my identity because everything presented to her was completely in order. She also didn’t want to pry further as I had lost my son a few year’s earlier.

So at the hacker’s request $40,000 was wired to the Arizona bank. Thank God the Arizona’s bank manager became suspicious when the hacker arrived to collect the funds.

This episode resulted in a complete overhaul of the bank’s wire transfer policy. The bank manager did keep her job which I totally agreed with. We had formed a tight bond over 20 years and it was an honest, but stupid mistake. 

Wow, that was a close call! Not your run-of-the-mill, half-assed scamming job either, if they took the time to study your writing style. Glad the Arizona bank manager caught that on time! What happened to the perp?

All scam experiences I've had involved Facebook: a couple friends' accounts got hacked, and the scammers made false profiles to impersonate them, then gather info on their contacts, and eventually send out messages saying they were stranded in Thailand/wherever, had their wallet, VISA, etc. stolen and needed funds wired to them at a Thai friend's bank account. Also send he'd had his phone stolen so he could only be contacted by Facebook.

I was wary and called the person, who was indeed in Thailand (so the scammer did do his homework) so he didn't pick up. Emailed him and discovered the scam, then alerted all his contacts. I've seen this same scheme in play a number of times...one has to be cautious these days...

On 4/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, buell47 said:

It lives on there permanently. I have a feeling my 3 AM, insomniac google deep-dive face is just as embarrassing or more so than anything else one might be able to record... :efee612b4b:

• Like 1